FILE

Yvonne Jue
Some years ago after discovering Open Office, I downloaded and *enjoyed*
using this site. I know my files were  .odt  Although I might not have had
a command of the writer, this was my preferred site. NEVER RETURNED TO
MICROSOFT WORD. Something must have happened, lost the use of Open Office
and my files. Is it possible to retrieve the old files?

Re: FILE

Martin Groenescheij

On 24/1/19 14:47, Yvonne Jue wrote:
> Some years ago after discovering Open Office, I downloaded and *enjoyed*
> using this site. I know my files were  .odt  Although I might not have had
> a command of the writer, this was my preferred site. NEVER RETURNED TO
> MICROSOFT WORD. Something must have happened, lost the use of Open Office
> and my files. Is it possible to retrieve the old files?

It is unlikely that you lost OpenOffice or your files, it's more likely
that you lost
your file associations in Windows.

Open the Control Panel, click on Programs an d Open the Default Programs
here you can update the default programs for each file extension.

RE: FILE

Geoffrey Hartwell-2
If OpenOffice is lost then if you find .odt files in File Explorer you ought to be able to "Open with" Word.

With kind regards,
Geoffrey Hartwell
Eur Ing Professor Geoffrey M. Beresford Hartwell CEng
FIMechE FIET SenMIEEE(USA) FCIArb FICArb(India)

> Some years ago after discovering Open Office, I downloaded and
> *enjoyed* using this site. I know my files were  .odt  Although I
> might not have had a command of the writer, this was my preferred
> site. NEVER RETURNED TO MICROSOFT WORD. Something must have happened,
> lost the use of Open Office and my files. Is it possible to retrieve the old files?

It is unlikely that you lost OpenOffice or your files, it's more likely that you lost your file associations in Windows.

Open the Control Panel, click on Programs an d Open the Default Programs here you can update the default programs for each file extension.

Re: FILE

Yvonne Jue
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES!!!!! MY GRAND ERROR WAS TO ASSUME THAT OPEN
OFFICE WAS A SITE SO THANK YOU FOR THE CORRECTION. MAYBE THIS IS THE REASON
I BELIEVED THAT THE DOCUMENTS WERE SAVED IN OPEN OFFICE *BUT I DID NOT
DELETE THEM. *SOMETIME AFTER, I SWITCHED TO GOOGLE, THEN CHROME CAME TO MY
ATTENTION.  I CONTINUE  TO USE CHROME.