FILES LOST

m.j.l.price@talktalk.net
i appear to have lost all my documents. When I try to access as I normally do, it throws up a 4.1.2. Registration Form. Please can you help ?
Mike

Re: FILES LOST

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:12:31 +0100 (BST)
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i appear to have lost all my documents. When I try to access as I normally do, it throws up a 4.1.2. Registration Form. Please can you help ?
> Mike

The files are still on your computer, in the folder(s) in which they were originally saved.  Perhaps because of over hasty power off of your computer, before internal housekeeping was complete, you have lost the "Recent Documents" shortcuts for Open Office.  If you use OpenOffice's /File /Open and navigate to the folders in which the files were saved, they will appear once more in Recent Documents as you open them once more.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FILES LOST

Dave-5

Re: FILES LOST

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 19:30:32 +0200
Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

If the OpenOffice User Profile has been damaged or lost, as the loss of Recent Documents suggests, it is not unusual for it to prompt again for a User Name and initials for document identification  I suspect this is the "Registration Form" in question.  If so, there is _no need_ to uninstall or re-download OpenOffice.

Rory

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FILES LOST

Dave-5
OK! but in the absence of any definite information from Mike we are only
guessing, speculating and making assumptions about what this "Form"
might or might not be.
I am getting really tired of making any attempt to help out on this
list, so you go for it Rory. Bye!

>>> i appear to have lost all my documents. When I try to access as I normally do, it throws up a 4.1.2. Registration Form. Please can you help ?
>>> Mike
>>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> As Rory has already said, you have NOT lost your files, they are still
>> on you computer's internal disk drive. Your reference to a registration
>> "Form" is a little puzzling, because Apache OpenOffice doesn't include
>> such form,
>
> If the OpenOffice User Profile has been damaged or lost, as the loss of Recent Documents suggests, it is not unusual for it to prompt again for a User Name and initials for document identification  I suspect this is the "Registration Form" in question.  If so, there is _no need_ to uninstall or re-download OpenOffice.
>
> Rory
>

>> which suggests that you may have obtained your copy from
>> somewhere other that the official source:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html which in turn redirects to
>> the official download servers at SourceForge.
>>
>> It would help us to understand your situation a little better, if you
>> could advise:
>>
>>   * Where this "Form" appears? (In a window on your computer, or in a
>>     page in your web browser)
>>   * In detail, what does this "Form" say?
>>   * What are the steps you take when you access your files as you
>>     normally do? (eg. double clicking on a desktop icon, selecting a
>>     file name to open from your file manager program, etc.)
>>
>> Recommendation:
>>
>>   * Uninstall the version you have now.
>>   * Download version 4.1.3 from the official link above.
>>   * Install the new official version.
>>
>> If this does not resolve the issue, follow the steps to reset your "User
>> Profile" as described in the following tutorial in the User Forum:
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426#p58403.
>>
>> If none of the above recommended steps work for you, run a good
>> virus/anti-malware scan on your system.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Dave

Re: FILES LOST

m.j.l.price@talktalk.net
COPY OF REPLY SENT 2 HOURS AGO :-
Many thanks for prompt reply - I'm back onto them !  Mike