FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?

FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?

Andrea Pescetti-2
While I haven't received any feedback from FOSDEM organizers yet (the
two contact addresses I had given were mine and Peter's), I am not
seeing the Open Document Editors devroom listed at
https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/

This is just to confirm that I did send a request, a couple days before
the deadline, exactly the same way it has worked in the past years.
Usually a similar request was sent by another project and the requests
were merged by organizers to create a shared "Open Document Editors"
devroom.

If organizers have decided not to host an "Open Document Editors"
devroom this year, we should just respect them; they need to rotate
projects, so after a few years in a row it is understandable if they
decided to pick other types of software. I'm not into political games
and I'm uninterested in discussing why (so far at least) FOSDEM decided
that OpenOffice and similar software should not get a devroom this year.

If I get some official acceptance/rejection notice I will of course
inform the list.

Here's the receipt of the application I sent last month, very similar to
those from previous years that you can find in the list archives.
   ---
Acknowledging your devroom request (Apache OpenOffice [or: joint "ODF
Editors" devroom])
Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:51:51 +0000

Devroom Request for FOSDEM 2019

We acknowledge that we have received your request for the following devroom.
After we review all devroom requests, we will inform you accordingly via
email.

Title: Apache OpenOffice [or: joint "ODF Editors" devroom]
Coordinator: Andrea Pescetti
Coordinator email: pescetti@...
Secondary contact: Peter Kovacs
Secondary email: petko@...

Apache OpenOffice, formerly known as OpenOffice.org, is one of the most
popular Free and Open Source software projects. A Top Level Project at
the Apache Software Foundation since October 2012, OpenOffice has more
than 250 million downloads as an official Apache project. The next
version, OpenOffice 4.1.6, is scheduled for release in October 2018.

Note: A joint "ODF editors" devroom like the one organized at FOSDEM
since 2014 would allow a productive exchange of ideas with other Free
and Open Source editors using OpenDocument as their native format.

As for OpenOffice, topics that may be interesting for FOSDEM 2019
include: modernization of the reference baseline; improvements to the
localization process; tools to assist release management; build
technologies.

Coordinator's affinity to the topic of the devroom:
Andrea, who is sending the application on behalf of the OpenOffice PMC,
served as Chair of the OpenOffice Project Management Committee
(2012-2014) and was the Release Manager of OpenOffice 4.1.2 in 2015.

Why does it fit FOSDEM
An Apache OpenOffice devroom would allow existing volunteers to meet and
discuss future developments, and users and potential new volunteers to
learn how they can help the project, thanks to presentations and hacking
sessions spanning a broad range of topics.

Relevant URLs:
The main project URL is http://www.openoffice.org/

Timeslot:
Full day

Special requirements:
Preferred day: Saturday

Kind Regards,
FOSDEM 2019 devrooms team

Re: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 11/10/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> While I haven't received any feedback from FOSDEM organizers yet (the
> two contact addresses I had given were mine and Peter's), I am not
> seeing the Open Document Editors devroom listed at
> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/

The organizers confirmed that the devroom won't run in 2019, so neither
OpenOffice nor similar programs will get a devroom (i.e., a day-long
conference track, for those unfamiliar with FOSDEM jargon).

It is normal that FOSDEM rotates subjects of their devrooms and we
should be grateful to organizers for having given us a devroom in
several years so far, and possibly in future years beyond 2019.

There is still the opportunity to propose presentations for the
so-called "Main Track":
https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?

Matthias Seidel
Hi Andrea,

> On 11/10/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> While I haven't received any feedback from FOSDEM organizers yet (the
>> two contact addresses I had given were mine and Peter's), I am not
>> seeing the Open Document Editors devroom listed at
>> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/
>
> The organizers confirmed that the devroom won't run in 2019, so
> neither OpenOffice nor similar programs will get a devroom (i.e., a
> day-long conference track, for those unfamiliar with FOSDEM jargon).
>
> It is normal that FOSDEM rotates subjects of their devrooms and we
> should be grateful to organizers for having given us a devroom in
> several years so far, and possibly in future years beyond 2019.
Thanks for the info!
So we have more time to talk and (hopefully) for our booth. ;-)

> There is still the opportunity to propose presentations for the
> so-called "Main Track":
> https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/

"Lightning talks" could also be interesting...

Regards,
   Matthias

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

FOSDEM 2019: UNO Project as an Idea for Main track or fast talk? (was: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?)

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello all

How about the Idea we make a main track to introduce the Idea from
Damjan, to create an own UNO Project.

We would need to explain

# What it does

# Examples of how can it be used.

# what Features and benefits it has.

We could get a first feedback of interest from the audience.

I think this is a good talk for a main track in general.

All the best

Peter

On 10/13/18 7:22 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Am 13.10.2018 um 19:12 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> On 11/10/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> While I haven't received any feedback from FOSDEM organizers yet (the
>>> two contact addresses I had given were mine and Peter's), I am not
>>> seeing the Open Document Editors devroom listed at
>>> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/
>> The organizers confirmed that the devroom won't run in 2019, so
>> neither OpenOffice nor similar programs will get a devroom (i.e., a
>> day-long conference track, for those unfamiliar with FOSDEM jargon).
>>
>> It is normal that FOSDEM rotates subjects of their devrooms and we
>> should be grateful to organizers for having given us a devroom in
>> several years so far, and possibly in future years beyond 2019.
> Thanks for the info!
> So we have more time to talk and (hopefully) for our booth. ;-)
>
>> There is still the opportunity to propose presentations for the
>> so-called "Main Track":
>> https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/
> "Lightning talks" could also be interesting...
>
> Regards,
>    Matthias
>
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.

Re: FOSDEM 2019: UNO Project as an Idea for Main track or fast talk? (was: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?)

Dave Fisher
Damjan -

A thought - does this UNO project have any synergies with ODF Toolkit? Is it worth reaching out to Svante Schubert and the ODF Toolkit?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 10:08 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all
>
> How about the Idea we make a main track to introduce the Idea from
> Damjan, to create an own UNO Project.
>
> We would need to explain
>
> # What it does
>
> # Examples of how can it be used.
>
> # what Features and benefits it has.
>
> We could get a first feedback of interest from the audience.
>
> I think this is a good talk for a main track in general.
>

> All the best
>
> Peter
>

>> On 10/13/18 7:22 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Andrea,

>>> The organizers confirmed that the devroom won't run in 2019, so
>>> neither OpenOffice nor similar programs will get a devroom (i.e., a
>>> day-long conference track, for those unfamiliar with FOSDEM jargon).
>>>
>>> It is normal that FOSDEM rotates subjects of their devrooms and we
>>> should be grateful to organizers for having given us a devroom in
>>> several years so far, and possibly in future years beyond 2019.
>> Thanks for the info!
>> So we have more time to talk and (hopefully) for our booth. ;-)
>>
>>> There is still the opportunity to propose presentations for the
>>> so-called "Main Track":
>>> https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/
>> "Lightning talks" could also be interesting...
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

Re: FOSDEM 2019: UNO Project as an Idea for Main track or fast talk? (was: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?)

Damjan Jovanovic
Not directly. An UNO wrapper could be written to access the ODF toolkit
from other UNO languages (C++, Python, (old) Javascript, StarBasic, OLE
automation). Those languages would have to run in an UNO environment
though. Other approaches to interoperability do exist; UNO's advantage is
good performance when running in-process, and the possibility of network
transparency.

Our UNO implementation does need some maintenance, for example we have no
Win64 UNO bridge (main/bridges), and it's not easy to develop: AMD64
assembly language, and binary internals of Windows's calling convention,
C++ exception handling and RTTI...

Also UNO is pretty heavy, my estimate is around 30 binaries and 30 MB in
size, possibly more.

On 13/10/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/
> The organizers confirmed that the devroom won't run in 2019, so neither
> OpenOffice nor similar programs will get a devroom

We have a surprise: the devroom is now back in the FOSDEM schedule.
Please submit your talk by 24 December if interested.

> It is normal that FOSDEM rotates subjects of their devrooms and we
> should be grateful to organizers for having given us a devroom in
> several years so far

Just to be clear, I stood by what I wrote, and simply respected the
organizers and their decision; so I merely thanked them for the many
years of support and didn't complain. But apparently some secret talks
or lobbying activities, that I had no role in, brought the devroom back.

So you can take advantage of this if you wish to submit an
OpenOffice-related talk to FOSDEM 2019. Please find the Call for
Participation link at https://fosdem.org/2019/news/ - deadline 24 December.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2

Ok, good news.

If we'll get a stand (booth) also, erverything will be fine.

Regards
Michael

Re: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?

Peter Kovacs-3
This is a real surprise. Full +1 on your actions Andrea. I would have
been fine with just visiting.

I will try to put one topic together then for FOSDEM, but 24th is a
little of short notice. Also I have already planned my time different.

Currently I have 2 planned projects that could modified into FOSDEM talks.

1) The UNO-Project would focus around the question the benefit of
separating the UNO - Framework in an own Project.

2) Analysis on the Bug tracker. I have planned to focus around Questions
like

How can we deal with the 3K unconfined and 10K confirmed issues? Is
there a way to improve the Clustering in the Bug tracker?

How old are our Bugs? How many Support request do we get in Bugzilla?
Which Bugs have never been looked at?

How are we doing on the Bugtracker?

And so on. I have no clue what other Questions will come to my mind. And
not all are good for a FOSDEM Presentation.

Anyone with other Ideas that can be done? - If we work together maybe we
can bring out 1 or 2 Talks. I volunteer if you need a speaker.

What I would like to do, but that I have no time for is OpenOffice
Architecture, where we are where to go. But I am sure I will not manage
this until February.

Maybe 2020.

All the Best

Peter

On 21.12.18 12:41, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 13/10/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/
>> The organizers confirmed that the devroom won't run in 2019, so
>> neither OpenOffice nor similar programs will get a devroom
>
> We have a surprise: the devroom is now back in the FOSDEM schedule.
> Please submit your talk by 24 December if interested.
>
>> It is normal that FOSDEM rotates subjects of their devrooms and we
>> should be grateful to organizers for having given us a devroom in
>> several years so far
>
> Just to be clear, I stood by what I wrote, and simply respected the
> organizers and their decision; so I merely thanked them for the many
> years of support and didn't complain. But apparently some secret talks
> or lobbying activities, that I had no role in, brought the devroom back.
>
> So you can take advantage of this if you wish to submit an
> OpenOffice-related talk to FOSDEM 2019. Please find the Call for
> Participation link at https://fosdem.org/2019/news/ - deadline 24
> December.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?

Peter Kovacs-3
I have received now some feedback on Infra. A dump of Bugzilla without
Attachment is still 700 MB.

This are a lot of bugs. Also I had a look at my timing table, and I am
not sure I can prepare the talk until FOSDEM.

Also I think the UNO talk is not really fitting to Open Document
Devroom, so I submitted it as original planned as Fast talk.

Sadly I have no topics on this short notice to talk about, that I find
interesting and fit into my time table.

So I will stick to my original plan. I am sorry.

All the Best

Peter