FOSDEM 2020

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FOSDEM 2020

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
Hello,

we are planning to join next FOSDEM like we did in the past. To get a
booth (stand) we have to write a request. The deadline for this request
will come soon.

Among other things we have to answer two questions. With help from Peter
I sketched a text for this purpose.

Feel free to criticize this draft:

"""
Description of project(s) for publication:

Apache OpenOffice is the Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
years, creating a mature and powerful product.

The software looks and feels familiar and is instantly usable by anyone
who has used a competitive product. It has many millions of users and
still millions of downloads each year.

Apache OpenOffice is supported by a global community of friendly
volunteers, happy to provide assistance to newcomers and advanced users
alike.



Why does it fit FOSDEM?

Apache OpenOffice is one of most popular Free Software products as in
europe and worldwide and has a long history of project development. With
only a few volunteers left, we struggle to satisfy the needs and wishes
of our users. FOSDEM is one of the best occasions to meet new developers
and to interest them in our project. We will use the stand to present
the needs we have. This ranges from web design and programming over
application and extension development, towards documentation,
translation and community management in popular media.
"""

I am no native speaker, so please improve my poor english.

Kind regards
Michael




signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSDEM 2020

Matthias Seidel
Hi Michael,

Small corrections inside:

Am 17.09.19 um 09:57 schrieb Dr. Michael Stehmann:

> Hello,
>
> we are planning to join next FOSDEM like we did in the past. To get a
> booth (stand) we have to write a request. The deadline for this request
> will come soon.
>
> Among other things we have to answer two questions. With help from Peter
> I sketched a text for this purpose.
>
> Feel free to criticize this draft:
>
> """
> Description of project(s) for publication:
>
> Apache OpenOffice is the Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
Apache OpenOffice is a Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
years, creating a mature and powerful product.

>
> The software looks and feels familiar and is instantly usable by anyone
> who has used a competitive product. It has many millions of users and
> still millions of downloads each year.

The software looks and feels familiar and is instantly usable by anyone
who has used a competitive product. It has many millions of users and
still millions of downloads every year.

>
> Apache OpenOffice is supported by a global community of friendly
> volunteers, happy to provide assistance to newcomers and advanced users
> alike.
>
>
>
> Why does it fit FOSDEM?
>
> Apache OpenOffice is one of most popular Free Software products as in
Apache OpenOffice is one of most popular Free Software products in

> europe and worldwide and has a long history of project development. With
> only a few volunteers left, we struggle to satisfy the needs and wishes
> of our users. FOSDEM is one of the best occasions to meet new developers
> and to interest them in our project. We will use the stand to present
> the needs we have. This ranges from web design and programming over
> application and extension development, towards documentation,
> translation and community management in popular media.
> """
>
> I am no native speaker, so please improve my poor english.
I am not a native speaker, too. So my corrections may be inappropriate.

Regards,

   Matthias

>
> Kind regards
> Michael
>
>
>


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSDEM 2020

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
Hello and thank you very much.

There is only one question left:

Am 19.09.19 um 13:33 schrieb Matthias Seidel:

>> Description of project(s) for publication:
>>
>> Apache OpenOffice is the Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>
> Apache OpenOffice is a Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>
"The Free and Open Productivity Suite" is our claim.

The other Free office suite claims: "Fun Project" and "Fantastic People".

Their advertisement is:

"LibreOffice 6:
"The best office suite gets even better" – ZDNet"

Is there a reason not use our claim? (Which is also printed on our roll up.)

Kind regards
Michael


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSDEM 2020

Matthias Seidel
Hi Michael,

Am 19.09.19 um 14:17 schrieb Dr. Michael Stehmann:

> Hello and thank you very much.
>
> There is only one question left:
>
> Am 19.09.19 um 13:33 schrieb Matthias Seidel:
>
>>> Description of project(s) for publication:
>>>
>>> Apache OpenOffice is the Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>> Apache OpenOffice is a Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>>
> "The Free and Open Productivity Suite" is our claim.
If we use it as a term like above it makes sense...

What do others think?

Regards,

   Matthias

>
> The other Free office suite claims: "Fun Project" and "Fantastic People".
>
> Their advertisement is:
>
> "LibreOffice 6:
> "The best office suite gets even better" – ZDNet"
>
> Is there a reason not use our claim? (Which is also printed on our roll up.)
>
> Kind regards
> Michael
>


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSDEM 2020

Peter Kovacs-3
I do not feel good with these claims, but I am fine to use them.

On 19.09.19 14:21, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Am 19.09.19 um 14:17 schrieb Dr. Michael Stehmann:
>> Hello and thank you very much.
>>
>> There is only one question left:
>>
>> Am 19.09.19 um 13:33 schrieb Matthias Seidel:
>>
>>>> Description of project(s) for publication:
>>>>
>>>> Apache OpenOffice is the Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>>>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>>>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>>> Apache OpenOffice is a Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>>>
>> "The Free and Open Productivity Suite" is our claim.
> If we use it as a term like above it makes sense...
>
> What do others think?
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
>> The other Free office suite claims: "Fun Project" and "Fantastic People".
>>
>> Their advertisement is:
>>
>> "LibreOffice 6:
>> "The best office suite gets even better" – ZDNet"
>>
>> Is there a reason not use our claim? (Which is also printed on our roll up.)
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Michael
>>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSDEM 2020

Marcus (OOo)
In reply to this post by Matthias Seidel
Am 19.09.19 um 14:21 schrieb Matthias Seidel:

> Am 19.09.19 um 14:17 schrieb Dr. Michael Stehmann:
>> Hello and thank you very much.
>>
>> There is only one question left:
>>
>> Am 19.09.19 um 13:33 schrieb Matthias Seidel:
>>
>>>> Description of project(s) for publication:
>>>>
>>>> Apache OpenOffice is the Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>>>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>>>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>>> Apache OpenOffice is a Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
>>>
>> "The Free and Open Productivity Suite" is our claim.
>
> If we use it as a term like above it makes sense...
>
> What do others think?

I don't know what you mean with "use it as a term". Can you explain it
with different words or some examples?

Thanks

Marcus



>> The other Free office suite claims: "Fun Project" and "Fantastic People".
>>
>> Their advertisement is:
>>
>> "LibreOffice 6:
>> "The best office suite gets even better" – ZDNet"
>>
>> Is there a reason not use our claim? (Which is also printed on our roll up.)


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSDEM 2020

Branko Čibej
In reply to this post by Matthias Seidel
If it's not too late and if you don't mind, I'd like to fix grammar and
semantics here:

On 19.09.2019 13:33, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Small corrections inside:
>
> Am 17.09.19 um 09:57 schrieb Dr. Michael Stehmann:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we are planning to join next FOSDEM like we did in the past. To get a
>> booth (stand) we have to write a request. The deadline for this request
>> will come soon.
>>
>> Among other things we have to answer two questions. With help from Peter
>> I sketched a text for this purpose.
>>
>> Feel free to criticize this draft:
>>
>> """
>> Description of project(s) for publication:
>>
>> Apache OpenOffice is the Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
>> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
>> years, creating a mature and powerful product.
> Apache OpenOffice is a Free and Open Productivity Suite to handle
> office tasks. The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back more than twenty
> years, creating a mature and powerful product.


Not "... creating a mature ..." but "... making it a mature ...". You
don't "create" a mature product by starting it 20 years ago, but being
20 years old could (potentially, YMMV) "make" it mature.


>> The software looks and feels familiar and is instantly usable by anyone
>> who has used a competitive product. It has many millions of users and
>> still millions of downloads each year.
> The software looks and feels familiar and is instantly usable by anyone
> who has used a competitive product. It has many millions of users and
> still millions of downloads every year.


If you're going full marketroid, at least don't say "... used a
competitive product" but "... used a *competing* product." (Or even
better, "similar" instead of "competing" to avoid the horrible
marketroiderism.) Saying other products are "competitive" implies that
AOO is not. Perish the thought.

-- Brane


P.S.: Yes, I am extremely allergic to marketspeak, but if you really
want to use it, might as well get it right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]