FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Judy McBride [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 2008/06/08 21:26
To: Pat McBride
Subject: Fw: Go Navy/ hummmm

 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 8:06 PM
Subject: Fw: Go Navy/ hummmm


 

  U.S.Navy releases Al Qaeda Terrorist - I can't believe it!!!!!


 The US Navy today announced that it has released a senior Al Qaeda terrorist after questioning him extensively for 27 days while being held prisoner aboard a US aircraft carrier in the Arabian Sea .
 In a humanitarian gesture, the terrorist was given $50 US and a white 1962 Ford Fairlane automobile upon being released from custody.
 The attached photo shows the terrorist on his way home just after being released by the Navy.




 
GO NAVY!!!       
 
    
 
 
 

  

 
 




 



  







Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail


 
Free Animations for your email - By IncrediMail!



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1489 - Release Date: 6/7/2008 11:17 AM

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1491 - Release Date: 08/06/09 06:52


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Ian Lynch
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 05:56 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:

:-)

Of course one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter ;-)

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org

You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
Yeah, it just depends on your perspective; and at the end of it all, who
won.   Ref:- the French Resistance in WW II; to the Germans - terrorists, to
the Allies - patriots, freedom fighters.

Have you read The Art of War?  Says much the same thing.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lynch [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 2008/06/09 06:33
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 05:56 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:

:-)

Of course one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter ;-)

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org

You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1491 - Release Date: 08/06/09
06:52


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Smoot Carl-Mitchell
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 10:30 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
> Yeah, it just depends on your perspective; and at the end of it all, who
> won.   Ref:- the French Resistance in WW II; to the Germans - terrorists, to
> the Allies - patriots, freedom fighters.
>
> Have you read The Art of War?  Says much the same thing.

And what is sad about the whole Al Qadea stuff is all we (the U.S.) had
to do to avoid 911 was to get out of Saudi Arabia.  Osama (being a
religious fanatic) was upset the infidel U.S was in the same country as
Mecca.  And I think Osama would have been perfectly happy if we had
simply removed our military from Saudi Arabia.

On the other hand we could have arranged Osama to meet with Saddam
Hussein and that would have taken care of that particular problem. :-)

Let's see, we have gotten rid of the main rival to Iran (Saddam Hussein)
in the Middle East and have tied Osama bin Laden (a shia fanatic) to the
shiite fanatics in Iran and elsewhere, even though Iran helped us track
down the Taliban in Afghanistan after 911. Meantime we support a shiite
government in Iraq which will tie Iraq closer to Iran which may
eventually become a nuclear power and dominate the Middle East.  Seems
U.S foreign policy worked out real well the past 7 years.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
[hidden email]
+1 480 922 7313
cell: +1 602 421 9005

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
In reply to this post by Pat McBride
Read the book by Tom Clancy about the way that Iran took over Iraq?  Truth
is, indeed, much stranger than fiction.  Maybe, just maybe, we (meaning
USians, Canadians, Brits, and whoever else is involved with the Middle East
and Palestine) should have invited Saddam and Osama to a peace conference on
one of the small islands in the Arabian Sea.  [And I know that some of the
terms are not politically correct, IJDGAD] Then, when they're happily
settled and loaded down with their kind of coffee, announce that the coffee
was laced with AIDS germs, run like hell to get off the island, and send a
cruise missile to get rid of the AIDS germs.

Will work?  Won't work?  Bad idea?  Good idea?

Kind of drastic, I know, but look at all the lives that would be saved.

If we were back in the good old days, with political officers, Gurkha and
British (and Canadian) soldiers looking after things, both Saddam and Osama
would have been hung a long time ago; probably for Being A Nuisance In A
Public Place, or Impersonating A Human Being.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat McBride [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 2008/06/09 11:14
To: [hidden email]
Subject: FW: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!




-----Original Message-----
From: Smoot Carl-Mitchell [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 2008/06/09 11:03
To: [hidden email]
Subject: RE: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 10:30 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
> Yeah, it just depends on your perspective; and at the end of it all, who
> won.   Ref:- the French Resistance in WW II; to the Germans - terrorists,
to
> the Allies - patriots, freedom fighters.
>
> Have you read The Art of War?  Says much the same thing.

And what is sad about the whole Al Qadea stuff is all we (the U.S.) had
to do to avoid 911 was to get out of Saudi Arabia.  Osama (being a
religious fanatic) was upset the infidel U.S was in the same country as
Mecca.  And I think Osama would have been perfectly happy if we had
simply removed our military from Saudi Arabia.

On the other hand we could have arranged Osama to meet with Saddam
Hussein and that would have taken care of that particular problem. :-)

Let's see, we have gotten rid of the main rival to Iran (Saddam Hussein)
in the Middle East and have tied Osama bin Laden (a shia fanatic) to the
shiite fanatics in Iran and elsewhere, even though Iran helped us track
down the Taliban in Afghanistan after 911. Meantime we support a shiite
government in Iraq which will tie Iraq closer to Iran which may
eventually become a nuclear power and dominate the Middle East.  Seems
U.S foreign policy worked out real well the past 7 years.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
[hidden email]
+1 480 922 7313
cell: +1 602 421 9005

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1491 - Release Date: 08/06/09
06:52

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1491 - Release Date: 08/06/09
06:52


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Ian Lynch
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 11:24 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:

> Read the book by Tom Clancy about the way that Iran took over Iraq?  Truth
> is, indeed, much stranger than fiction.  Maybe, just maybe, we (meaning
> USians, Canadians, Brits, and whoever else is involved with the Middle East
> and Palestine) should have invited Saddam and Osama to a peace conference on
> one of the small islands in the Arabian Sea.  [And I know that some of the
> terms are not politically correct, IJDGAD] Then, when they're happily
> settled and loaded down with their kind of coffee, announce that the coffee
> was laced with AIDS germs, run like hell to get off the island, and send a
> cruise missile to get rid of the AIDS germs.
>
> Will work?  Won't work?  Bad idea?  Good idea?
>
> Kind of drastic, I know, but look at all the lives that would be saved.

If it was only that simple. Removing dictators only works if you have
stability to fill the vacuum. Iraq is a good example and Yugoslavia too.
People forget that without the dictator in an artificially created
country, civil unrest would escalate. One of the reasons the dictators
have to rule with a rod of iron is because the countries comprising the
federation would fall apart without it. The simplistic view that taking
out one person will change everything is really naive. It's an emotional
response linked to vengence and an over-simplified view of what is right
and what is wrong. Of course this plays to the average voter who wants
simple answers that they can understand. it's probably why we are not
going to have a peaceful world anytime soon :-(

> If we were back in the good old days, with political officers, Gurkha and
> British (and Canadian) soldiers looking after things, both Saddam and Osama
> would have been hung a long time ago; probably for Being A Nuisance In A
> Public Place, or Impersonating A Human Being.

And without a police state similar to the ones we object to, someone
else would simply pop up to take their places. There are enough
potential dictators waiting in the wings for opportunities.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org

You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Jonathon Blake
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Ian Lynch  wrote:
> stability to fill the vacuum. Iraq is a good example and Yugoslavia too.

The wonder is that Yugoslavia held itself together for as long as it
did, after Tito's death.

Cuba after Raúl Castro  is going to be interesting.

xan

jonathon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
In reply to this post by Ian Lynch
Ah, but it doesn't have to be a police state!  I remember in High Schoool
joining the United Nations Club, with great hopes that the UN could control
all of the little outbreaks, bring peace to the world, by using trained
peacekeepers to 'police' the problems.  True, soldiers don't make good
peacekeepers but police officers can and do make good soldiers.

They were the dreams of the young, my militia battalion was ready to be
called up to go to the Middle East as 'peacekeepers' in 1967; fortunately,
we didn't.  And as the years progressed, I found it difficult to keep the
peace in domestic assaults as a police officer; between my wife, my kids,
and my dog and cat in my family.  Cuz people are human.

It worked to some degree in India and the British Crown Colonies before
1947; usually when a dictator arose, he was sharply reminded that he owed
his loyalty to the Crown, if he didn't play along he was either exiled or
given the Golden Handshake on his way to the noose.  And Britain, and to
some extent the U.S., were the only two countries in the world where it
worked.  Probably because the others - France, Germany, Spain, Portugal,
Italy - had a different approach to colonial issues.

Anyway, we're stuck with this poor old world of ours; all we can do is our
small bit to obey Jesus two main commandments.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lynch [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 2008/06/09 12:23
To: [hidden email]
Subject: RE: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 11:24 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
> Read the book by Tom Clancy about the way that Iran took over Iraq?  Truth
> is, indeed, much stranger than fiction.  Maybe, just maybe, we (meaning
> USians, Canadians, Brits, and whoever else is involved with the Middle
East
> and Palestine) should have invited Saddam and Osama to a peace conference
on
> one of the small islands in the Arabian Sea.  [And I know that some of the
> terms are not politically correct, IJDGAD] Then, when they're happily
> settled and loaded down with their kind of coffee, announce that the
coffee
> was laced with AIDS germs, run like hell to get off the island, and send a
> cruise missile to get rid of the AIDS germs.
>
> Will work?  Won't work?  Bad idea?  Good idea?
>
> Kind of drastic, I know, but look at all the lives that would be saved.

If it was only that simple. Removing dictators only works if you have
stability to fill the vacuum. Iraq is a good example and Yugoslavia too.
People forget that without the dictator in an artificially created
country, civil unrest would escalate. One of the reasons the dictators
have to rule with a rod of iron is because the countries comprising the
federation would fall apart without it. The simplistic view that taking
out one person will change everything is really naive. It's an emotional
response linked to vengence and an over-simplified view of what is right
and what is wrong. Of course this plays to the average voter who wants
simple answers that they can understand. it's probably why we are not
going to have a peaceful world anytime soon :-(

> If we were back in the good old days, with political officers, Gurkha and
> British (and Canadian) soldiers looking after things, both Saddam and
Osama
> would have been hung a long time ago; probably for Being A Nuisance In A
> Public Place, or Impersonating A Human Being.

And without a police state similar to the ones we object to, someone
else would simply pop up to take their places. There are enough
potential dictators waiting in the wings for opportunities.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org

You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.2.0/1493 - Release Date: 08/06/09
17:25


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
In reply to this post by Jonathon Blake
>The wonder is that Yugoslavia held itself together for as long as it
did, after Tito's death.<

It was still, after all, a Communist country albeit a 'liberal' one because of Tito's policies.  But it wasn't until somebody came up with the stupid idea of 'ethnic cleansing' (which has gone on since the beginning of time) that the Balkan countries went to hell in a handbasket.

As far as Raul Castro is concerned, I think he's gonna do his best to keep the country together; he was Fidel's right-hand man but he wasn't a butchering idiot like DR.(medical type) Che Guevera.  Hopefully, he'll do a fine job, promote tourism, and accept help from Canada and the other countries to develop Cuba into a 21st century nation.  Especially PROMOTE TOURISM!!!!  Fares from Canada to Cuba are pretty cheap, people who've been there say it's a nice place to visit, and unlike the colony to the south of Canada, want to return.  Prices are good, people are very friendly, and there's no tourists wearing flags for shirts and shorts.

But, come to beautiful B.C.  Lots of mountain scenery, great hiking, great fishing, and awesome camping.  Especially in the Cariboo; if you come in May while the water's fairly low, and can stay until the end of June when the rivers are really high, you have a chance to pan for gold and get some 'black dirt' in your frying pan.  Possibly along with a dumb trout.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 2008/06/09 15:43
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Ian Lynch  wrote:
> stability to fill the vacuum. Iraq is a good example and Yugoslavia too.

The wonder is that Yugoslavia held itself together for as long as it
did, after Tito's death.

Cuba after Raúl Castro  is going to be interesting.

xan

jonathon
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.2.0/1493 - Release Date: 08/06/09 17:25



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Jonathon Blake
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Pat McBride wrote:

> But it wasn't until somebody came up with the stupid idea of 'ethnic cleansing' (which has gone on since the beginning of time) that the Balkan countries went to hell in a handbasket.

That ethnic cleaning simmered down during Tito's rule.He almost
convinced all parties to forget their history.

> As far as Raul Castro is concerned, I think he's gonna do his best to keep the country together;

The problem is that 90 miles from Cuba is a country that might decide
that it needs the prestige of losing yet another war, when Raul dies.

> and there's no tourists wearing flags for shirts and shorts.

That is because the people that do that sort of thing, aren't allowed
by their government to visit Cuba, except under specific
circumstances.  OTOH, that government has no qualms about sending
people it doesn't like, there.

> But, come to beautiful B.C.  Lots of mountain scenery, great hiking, great fishing, and awesome camping.

Jericho Beach Park, July 18, 19 and 20 would be a better reason.  I
was hoping to catch Utah Phillips there this year.  :(

xan

jonathon

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Smoot Carl-Mitchell
In reply to this post by Pat McBride
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:40 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
> >The wonder is that Yugoslavia held itself together for as long as it
> did, after Tito's death.<
>
> It was still, after all, a Communist country albeit a 'liberal' one
> because of Tito's policies.  But it wasn't until somebody came up with
> the stupid idea of 'ethnic cleansing' (which has gone on since the
> beginning of time) that the Balkan countries went to hell in a
> handbasket.

Read - Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World: Margaret MacMillan

It is very good explaining how Yugoslavia came about.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
[hidden email]
+1 480 922 7313
cell: +1 602 421 9005

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Wesley Parish
In reply to this post by Ian Lynch
Alternatively, one man's terrorist is another man's President Bush aka Slavery
Fighter.

Why oh why oh why didn't the US Navy give that car and that experience to one
US President Dubya?  And a radical renaming of the US Navy ships might be in
order, to match the characteristics the Bush Administration expects from the
US public - USS Terrified Of Everything, to countermatch the HMS Dreadnought;
USS Corporate Welfare, to rectify the misleadingly advertised USS Enterprise;
any others?

Wesley Parish

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 01:33, Ian Lynch wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 05:56 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
> :-)
>
> Of course one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter ;-)
>
> Ian

--
Clinersterton beademung, with all of love - RIP James Blish
-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?
You ask, what is the most important thing?
Maku e ki, he tangata, he tangata, he tangata.
I reply, it is people, it is people, it is people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
In reply to this post by Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Yes, unfortunately, Yugoslavia was looked on as the 'spoils of war' when the
Austro-Hungarian empire was defeated.  Same in Europe when Germany had to
give up land, money, material and equipment; leading indirectly to the 2nd
World War.  'If we knew then.....', too bad world history, true world
history, isn't a required subject in all schools, so we don't keep repeating
the same mistakes.

Pat
----- Original Message -----
From: "Smoot Carl-Mitchell" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: 2008/06/09 19:29
Subject: RE: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:40 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
>> >The wonder is that Yugoslavia held itself together for as long as it
>> did, after Tito's death.<
>>
>> It was still, after all, a Communist country albeit a 'liberal' one
>> because of Tito's policies.  But it wasn't until somebody came up with
>> the stupid idea of 'ethnic cleansing' (which has gone on since the
>> beginning of time) that the Balkan countries went to hell in a
>> handbasket.
>
> Read - Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World: Margaret MacMillan
>
> It is very good explaining how Yugoslavia came about.
>
> --
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell
> System/Network Architect
> [hidden email]
> +1 480 922 7313
> cell: +1 602 421 9005
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
In reply to this post by Wesley Parish
They tried, but he's Air National Guard.  With a few exceptions, Air Force
pilots and aircraft can't fly from carriers.  They're not given little
rubber duckies :) :) to play with in the water.

Pat
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wesley Parish" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: 2008/06/10 05:26
Subject: Re: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


> Alternatively, one man's terrorist is another man's President Bush aka
> Slavery
> Fighter.
>
> Why oh why oh why didn't the US Navy give that car and that experience to
> one
> US President Dubya?  And a radical renaming of the US Navy ships might be
> in
> order, to match the characteristics the Bush Administration expects from
> the
> US public - USS Terrified Of Everything, to countermatch the HMS
> Dreadnought;
> USS Corporate Welfare, to rectify the misleadingly advertised USS
> Enterprise;
> any others?
>
> Wesley Parish
>
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 01:33, Ian Lynch wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 05:56 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
>> :-)
>>
>> Of course one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter ;-)
>>
>> Ian
>
> --
> Clinersterton beademung, with all of love - RIP James Blish
> -----
> Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
> impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
> warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
> Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
> of the foolish.
> -----
> Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?
> You ask, what is the most important thing?
> Maku e ki, he tangata, he tangata, he tangata.
> I reply, it is people, it is people, it is people.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Smoot Carl-Mitchell
In reply to this post by Pat McBride
On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 06:53 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately, Yugoslavia was looked on as the 'spoils of war' when the
> Austro-Hungarian empire was defeated.  Same in Europe when Germany had to
> give up land, money, material and equipment; leading indirectly to the 2nd
> World War.  'If we knew then.....', too bad world history, true world
> history, isn't a required subject in all schools, so we don't keep repeating
> the same mistakes.

The Austria-Hungarian Empire basically dissolved on its own at the end
of WW I.  The Allies did not intend for this to happen, but the empire
was in decay for a long time.  Into that power vacuum entered all the
latent nationalistic and ethnic feelings of the groups which made up the
Austria-Hungarian Empire. The big loser was Hungary which shrank to less
than 1/2 its original size.

Yugoslavia is an interesting story, since the nation was created from
competing interests of the South (Yugo) Slavs.  Unfortunately. Serbia
wanted what amounted to a Greater Serbia, while the Croats and others
wanted a Pan Slavic federation with autonomy for the various ethnic
groups, but the economic and military security of a larger nation state.

Needless to say, it did not work out very well.  We saw all the issue of
1919 play out in the 1990s all over again.  I, of course, blame the
Ottoman Turks.  At least when that part of the world was part of their
empire, they tolerated the ethnic differences and kept the underlying
hatreds in check. How dare they give up southeastern Europe!  Think of
all the troubles that would have been avoided. :-)
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
[hidden email]
+1 480 922 7313
cell: +1 602 421 9005

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
Yeah, and the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" would have been "Lawrence of Italy,
Sudan, wherever".  :) :)

Pat
----- Original Message -----
From: "Smoot Carl-Mitchell" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: 2008/06/12 08:46
Subject: Re: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 06:53 -0700, Pat McBride wrote:
>> Yes, unfortunately, Yugoslavia was looked on as the 'spoils of war' when
>> the
>> Austro-Hungarian empire was defeated.  Same in Europe when Germany had to
>> give up land, money, material and equipment; leading indirectly to the
>> 2nd
>> World War.  'If we knew then.....', too bad world history, true world
>> history, isn't a required subject in all schools, so we don't keep
>> repeating
>> the same mistakes.
>
> The Austria-Hungarian Empire basically dissolved on its own at the end
> of WW I.  The Allies did not intend for this to happen, but the empire
> was in decay for a long time.  Into that power vacuum entered all the
> latent nationalistic and ethnic feelings of the groups which made up the
> Austria-Hungarian Empire. The big loser was Hungary which shrank to less
> than 1/2 its original size.
>
> Yugoslavia is an interesting story, since the nation was created from
> competing interests of the South (Yugo) Slavs.  Unfortunately. Serbia
> wanted what amounted to a Greater Serbia, while the Croats and others
> wanted a Pan Slavic federation with autonomy for the various ethnic
> groups, but the economic and military security of a larger nation state.
>
> Needless to say, it did not work out very well.  We saw all the issue of
> 1919 play out in the 1990s all over again.  I, of course, blame the
> Ottoman Turks.  At least when that part of the world was part of their
> empire, they tolerated the ethnic differences and kept the underlying
> hatreds in check. How dare they give up southeastern Europe!  Think of
> all the troubles that would have been avoided. :-)
> --
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell
> System/Network Architect
> [hidden email]
> +1 480 922 7313
> cell: +1 602 421 9005
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
In reply to this post by Jonathon Blake
]OTOH, that government has no qualms about sending
people it doesn't like, there.[  The US government doesn't really like me,
either, after I told a Customs and Immigration officer where to get off.
Especially when he's standing North of the US Border but South of the
Canadian border at Peace?? Arch.
I mean, after all, it's a kind of no-mans-land, and some kid in a uniform
carrying a gun bigger than he is shouldn't get into an argument with a
red-neck Canadian cop.  Soooooooooo, if I want to go south to visit Her
Majesty's Southern Colony, I get to go to jail, no passing go, no $200.00;
just deported.  When he told me that, I told him I was Irish, that my
forefathers discovered the Middle Continent, and that it was the Irish that
made America great.  Which is true, what would the world be without Irish
folk in it to give everyone a sense of humour.  So I told him if I was
deported, I'd be going to a better place than where I was right then.

By the way, did you know that the Irish and Scots, Celts to the bone, gave
the Anglo-Saxon English golf as a joke, and they still haven't caught on
yet, 500 years later.  Or that it was a family of Scandinavians and a group
of Irishmen who really discovered the Middle Continent; which is now named
after an Italian horse thief.

Pat

----- Original Message -----
From: "jonathon" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: 2008/06/09 19:16
Subject: Re: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Pat McBride wrote:
>
>> But it wasn't until somebody came up with the stupid idea of 'ethnic
>> cleansing' (which has gone on since the beginning of time) that the
>> Balkan countries went to hell in a handbasket.
>
> That ethnic cleaning simmered down during Tito's rule.He almost
> convinced all parties to forget their history.
>
>> As far as Raul Castro is concerned, I think he's gonna do his best to
>> keep the country together;
>
> The problem is that 90 miles from Cuba is a country that might decide
> that it needs the prestige of losing yet another war, when Raul dies.
>
>> and there's no tourists wearing flags for shirts and shorts.
>
> That is because the people that do that sort of thing, aren't allowed
> by their government to visit Cuba, except under specific
> circumstances.  OTOH, that government has no qualms about sending
> people it doesn't like, there.
>
>> But, come to beautiful B.C.  Lots of mountain scenery, great hiking,
>> great fishing, and awesome camping.
>
> Jericho Beach Park, July 18, 19 and 20 would be a better reason.  I
> was hoping to catch Utah Phillips there this year.  :(
>
> xan
>
> jonathon
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Jonathon Blake
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Pat McBride wrote:

> By the way, did you know that the Irish and Scots, Celts to the bone, gave the Anglo-Saxon English golf as a joke,

No.  But I did know that the population of Mexico City would be the
quarter of its current size if it weren't for an extremely lonely
Scot.  Probably half of Mexico traces back to him.

xan

jonathon

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!

Pat McBride
Obviously, he wasn't all that lonely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :):)  Well, the rest of
the world wants to be Celtic - Scots, Irish, Breton, Welsh, Canadian.  I
mean, what can we say???  If you're the best, you're the best!!!!!
:):):):):)

By the way, were you aware that the Arabs love bagpipe music; some of the
best pipe bands in the world used to be Arabic, and the Gurkha regiment in
the Brit army has one of the best pipe bands today?

And no comments from the Sassenach, please!  Drum and Bugle Bands just don't
cut it; trumpets are only good for playing reveille, retreat, and announcing
the presence of people that you don't want to see anyway.  Standing on
parade with some old fud walking around, bored like the rest, and just
looking for politeness sake,  really doesn't make one's day.  I've been on
parade honouring Prince Phillip, who is a really nice guy, and who said
later he would rather have met the Regiment in their messes informally
because he'd get to know us better.

Pat


----- Original Message -----
From: "jonathon" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: 2008/06/12 22:56
Subject: Re: [social] FW: Go Navy/ hummmm Don't we all wish!


> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Pat McBride wrote:
>
>> By the way, did you know that the Irish and Scots, Celts to the bone,
>> gave the Anglo-Saxon English golf as a joke,
>
> No.  But I did know that the population of Mexico City would be the
> quarter of its current size if it weren't for an extremely lonely
> Scot.  Probably half of Mexico traces back to him.
>
> xan
>
> jonathon
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]