FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

12

FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Rory O'Farrell

For information: the Mac 4.1.4 chart problem is starting to surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.

Rory

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Jim Jagielski
Anyone have any idea why these 2 issues would be so
dependent on the xml2/xslt libraries being used??

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> For information: the Mac 4.1.4 chart problem is starting to surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.
>
> Rory
>
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Jim Jagielski
Just a FYI that I am trying various permutations of libxml2 and
lbxslt to try to resolve the issue...

> On Nov 10, 2017, at 6:33 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anyone have any idea why these 2 issues would be so
> dependent on the xml2/xslt libraries being used??
>
>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> For information: the Mac 4.1.4 chart problem is starting to surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.
>>
>> Rory
>>
>> --
>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Marcus (OOo)
Am 11.11.2017 um 22:27 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Just a FYI that I am trying various permutations of libxml2 and
> lbxslt to try to resolve the issue...

unfortunately not everybody has a Mac. But please just tell us where we
can help - even when it's a bit quite now due to the weekend.

Thanks

Marcus

>> On Nov 10, 2017, at 6:33 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone have any idea why these 2 issues would be so
>> dependent on the xml2/xslt libraries being used??
>>
>>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> For information: the Mac 4.1.4 chart problem is starting to surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.
>>>
>>> Rory
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Jim Jagielski
Does it make sense to "release" the version that fixes the
chart problem, while we work on the one that tries to
address the table/database issue?

I would assume that there are more people who want/need 4.1.4
and would be affected by the chart diagram issue than those
who would be affected by the DB.

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> For information: the Mac 4.1.4 chart problem is starting to surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.
>
> Rory
>
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Dave Fisher
+1. That makes great sense.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 12, 2017, at 11:10 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does it make sense to "release" the version that fixes the
> chart problem, while we work on the one that tries to
> address the table/database issue?
>
> I would assume that there are more people who want/need 4.1.4
> and would be affected by the chart diagram issue than those
> who would be affected by the DB.
>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> For information: the Mac 4.1.4 chart problem is starting to surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.
>>
>> Rory
>>
>> --
>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Dave Fisher
Anyone else?

> On Nov 12, 2017, at 12:06 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1. That makes great sense.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 12, 2017, at 11:10 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does it make sense to "release" the version that fixes the
>> chart problem, while we work on the one that tries to
>> address the table/database issue?
>>
>> I would assume that there are more people who want/need 4.1.4
>> and would be affected by the chart diagram issue than those
>> who would be affected by the DB.
>>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> For information: the Mac 4.1.4 chart problem is starting to surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.
>>>
>>> Rory
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Marcus (OOo)
Am 14.11.2017 um 18:35 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Anyone else?

yes, sounds reasonable to focus more on Calc/Chart tahn on Base.

Marcus

>> On Nov 12, 2017, at 12:06 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1. That makes great sense.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Nov 12, 2017, at 11:10 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does it make sense to "release" the version that fixes the
>>> chart problem, while we work on the one that tries to
>>> address the table/database issue?
>>>
>>> I would assume that there are more people who want/need 4.1.4
>>> and would be affected by the chart diagram issue than those
>>> who would be affected by the DB.

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Peter Kovacs-3
I am not sure. +1 for the release, but we should keep the other version somehow around. Maybe offer the trade if someone asks for it.

Am 15. November 2017 00:12:00 MEZ schrieb Marcus <[hidden email]>:

>Am 14.11.2017 um 18:35 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Anyone else?
>
>yes, sounds reasonable to focus more on Calc/Chart tahn on Base.
>
>Marcus
>

>>> On Nov 12, 2017, at 12:06 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>>
>>> +1. That makes great sense.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I
>explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend
>reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Jim Jagielski
Agreed.

FWIW, I have been unable to even create a 4.1.2 build that works in
both cases, and this is via various combinations of libxml2, libxslt, Xcode (both
7 and 8) and selected SDKs.

Next step is trying to downgrade from Sierra to El Capitan or Yosemite.

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 11:59 PM, Peter kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am not sure. +1 for the release, but we should keep the other version somehow around. Maybe offer the trade if someone asks for it.
>

> Am 15. November 2017 00:12:00 MEZ schrieb Marcus <[hidden email]>:
>> Am 14.11.2017 um 18:35 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> Anyone else?
>>
>> yes, sounds reasonable to focus more on Calc/Chart tahn on Base.
>>
>> Marcus

>> surface on the Forum - there have been several reports of it today.  I
>> explain that the fix has produced unwanted side effects and recommend
>> reverting to OO 4.1.3 fir the time being.

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Don Lewis-2
On 15 Nov, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Agreed.
>
> FWIW, I have been unable to even create a 4.1.2 build that works in
> both cases, and this is via various combinations of libxml2, libxslt, Xcode (both
> 7 and 8) and selected SDKs.

Look for system libraries that that we use and that link to libxml2
and/or libxslt.  I suspect that is some sort of ABI difference between
versions.  If we bundle these libraries, some other system library
breaks because it expects the system libxml2/libxslt ABI but it is
linked to the bundled version.  If we don't bundle these libraries, then
we expect the ABI of whatever version is on the system where we do the
build and break when running on a different version of Mac OS.

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Jim Jagielski
I have a 10.9/Mavericks with Xcode 6.2 VM up and running. I am
building 4.1.4 on it as we speak. Will let people know asap.

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Dave Fisher
I have my Sierra MacBook and my early 2008 iMac with 10.7.5 with a replaced drive (damaged from smoke from wine country fires (it had 10.6)) ready for testing.

> On Nov 15, 2017, at 1:38 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a 10.9/Mavericks with Xcode 6.2 VM up and running. I am
> building 4.1.4 on it as we speak. Will let people know asap.

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Jim Jagielski
OK, I am pretty much almost out of ideas. I've created a VM which is
almost an exact match for what I could determine was the build
environ for 4.1.2. Attached is a patch file that shows the diffs between
the config.out for 4.1.2 and my build of 4.1.2. My build doesn't suffer
from the corrupted diagram but it DOES still suffer from the table/Database
regression. AFAIK, the official 4.1.2 build suffers from neither.

So what is causing this weird behavior I simply don't know... As
one can see, there's nothing, at least as reported by config.log, which is
different and this is straight from

   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/tags/AOO412

build-config-log-diffs.txt (41K) Download Attachment

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Peter Kovacs-3
What is your base for determine the build environment?

I want to make time next week to try to build on my MacBook. Maybe I can come up with something. But no promises.

Maybe until we have some new idea, we should start with 4.2.0. Is trunk affected too?

Am 16. November 2017 19:40:17 MEZ schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:

>OK, I am pretty much almost out of ideas. I've created a VM which is
>almost an exact match for what I could determine was the build
>environ for 4.1.2. Attached is a patch file that shows the diffs
>between
>the config.out for 4.1.2 and my build of 4.1.2. My build doesn't suffer
>from the corrupted diagram but it DOES still suffer from the
>table/Database
>regression. AFAIK, the official 4.1.2 build suffers from neither.
>
>So what is causing this weird behavior I simply don't know... As
>one can see, there's nothing, at least as reported by config.log, which
>is
>different and this is straight from
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/tags/AOO412

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Dave Fisher
Hi Jim,

It is mysterious. I went through the diff and I'll note somethings I see which may or may not matter.

(1) configure
Switches are in different order.
Old build has the “kid” language first.

(2) Path
Your /Users/jim/bin and /usr/local/bin is sooner in the path than original builder’s
Finds perl in differing location:
 configure:7764: checking for perl
-configure:7794: result: /usr/bin/perl
+configure:7782: found /Users/jim/bin/perl
+configure:7794: result: /Users/jim/bin/perl
 configure:7815: checking the Perl version

(3) Custom pack.list is used in the successful original build:
 configure:5485: checking for custom pack.lst
-configure:5496: result: /Users/jsc/dev/svn/aoo-build-pack.lst
+configure:5499: result: no

(4) Your Python seems to be mixed. Look at the includes on the clang lines.

+configure:13311: checking which python to use
+configure:13320: result: compiling against system python (/usr/bin/python)
+configure:13327: result: compiling against system python (version 2.7)
+configure:13585: checking Python.h usability
+configure:13585: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -arch x86_64 -c -g -O2  -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/include/python2.7 conftest.c >&5
+configure:13585: $? = 0
+configure:13585: result: yes
+configure:13585: checking Python.h presence
+configure:13585: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -arch x86_64 -E  -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/include/python2.7 conftest.c

VS.

-configure:13338: checking which python to use
-configure:13347: result: compiling against system python (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python)
-configure:13354: result: compiling against system python (version 2.7)
-configure:13612: checking Python.h usability
-configure:13612: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -arch x86_64 -c -g -O2  -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 conftest.c >&5
-configure:13612: $? = 0
-configure:13612: result: yes
-configure:13612: checking Python.h presence
-configure:13612: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -arch x86_64 -E  -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 conftest.c

(5) Jakarta-ant vs. ant.

-configure:22390: checking for jakarta-ant
-configure:22421: result: /Users/jsc/dev/tools/apache-ant-1.9.3/dist/bin/ant

+configure:22363: checking for jakarta-ant
+configure:22397: result: no
+configure:22363: checking for ant
+configure:22382: found /usr/local/share/java/apache-ant/bin/ant
+configure:22394: result: /usr/local/share/java/apache-ant/bin/ant

(6) TARFILE_LOCATIONS environment variable:
-TARFILE_LOCATION='/Users/jsc/dev/svn/aoo410/ext_sources'
+TARFILE_LOCATION='DEFAULT'

Regards,
Dave

> On Nov 16, 2017, at 10:40 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, I am pretty much almost out of ideas. I've created a VM which is
> almost an exact match for what I could determine was the build
> environ for 4.1.2. Attached is a patch file that shows the diffs between
> the config.out for 4.1.2 and my build of 4.1.2. My build doesn't suffer
> from the corrupted diagram but it DOES still suffer from the table/Database
> regression. AFAIK, the official 4.1.2 build suffers from neither.
>
> So what is causing this weird behavior I simply don't know... As
> one can see, there's nothing, at least as reported by config.log, which is
> different and this is straight from
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/tags/AOO412
>
> <build-config-log-diffs.txt>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Dave Fisher
Hi Damjan,

Do you have any tips or pointers regarding the Base issue we are having with Builds on MacOS?

I’m seeing your comments on https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126655 and can’t help but wonder if the code is fragile here. If nothing else some help tracing the code could help.

Does the Redland configuration and the update in trunk help us here?

Regards,
Dave

> On Nov 16, 2017, at 10:40 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, I am pretty much almost out of ideas. I've created a VM which is
> almost an exact match for what I could determine was the build
> environ for 4.1.2. Attached is a patch file that shows the diffs between
> the config.out for 4.1.2 and my build of 4.1.2. My build doesn't suffer
> from the corrupted diagram but it DOES still suffer from the table/Database
> regression. AFAIK, the official 4.1.2 build suffers from neither.
>
> So what is causing this weird behavior I simply don't know... As
> one can see, there's nothing, at least as reported by config.log, which is
> different and this is straight from
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/tags/AOO412
>
> <build-config-log-diffs.txt>

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Jim Jagielski
I appreciate the 2nd set of eyes... I also, of course, went thru the
diff. My point is that none of these seem to be in any way related
to something that would cause such a major change in behavior.

Alternatively, if it IS so fragile, then things are majorly borked.

> [...]
>
> (6) TARFILE_LOCATIONS environment variable:
> -TARFILE_LOCATION='/Users/jsc/dev/svn/aoo410/ext_sources'
> +TARFILE_LOCATION='DEFAULT'
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Nov 16, 2017, at 10:40 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK, I am pretty much almost out of ideas. I've created a VM which is
>> almost an exact match for what I could determine was the build
>> environ for 4.1.2. Attached is a patch file that shows the diffs between
>> the config.out for 4.1.2 and my build of 4.1.2. My build doesn't suffer
>> from the corrupted diagram but it DOES still suffer from the table/Database
>> regression. AFAIK, the official 4.1.2 build suffers from neither.
>>
>> So what is causing this weird behavior I simply don't know... As
>> one can see, there's nothing, at least as reported by config.log, which is

Re: FYI: The OO 4.1.4 Mac problem

Dave Fisher
Hi Jim,

Thanks. These kind of builds helps me appreciate our modern world of containers and cleaner dependencies.

I wonder is your build taking the following patch? If so, is the patch still necessary?

/openoffice/branches/AOO414/main/hsqldb/patches/i121754.patch

Regards,
Dave

On Nov 16, 2017, at 12:15 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

These builds are on AOO412. At this stage I'm just trying to get too-4.1.2
on my mac builder to generate a build that matches our released version.

Oh grrrrr I just downloaded our 4.1.2 GA release and IT ALSO suffers
from the table/database issue :( I've been wasting all this time assuming
tha 4.1.2 worked for both regressions.

12