Failure

jhivacaville-2
I downloaded from the provided link.  The installation does not install the desktop icon and it does not fill the background of the cells as previously related.
Is this a scam/sham?  What good is the program if it does not work properly and completely?

Re: Failure

Dave AOO

Re: Failure

jhivacaville-2
YOU PROVIDED THE LINK FROM WHICH TO DOWNLOAD!  I USED THIS LINK!  AREN'T YOU AWARE OF THE LINK YOU PROVIDED?
I am using the latest updated version of Windows 10.
AGAIN!  I have the most recent update of the program I purchased several years ago.  The program now fails to fill the background of the cells with those colors from the color chart provided.  In reviewing older saved files, I find that the background colors have also been removed.
I have also used the app on Windows 10 that is supposed to make older programs compatible with Windows.  This also does not work.

apache.org>; jhivacaville <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thu, Mar 12, 2020 8:17 am
> I downloaded from the provided link.  The installation does not install the desktop icon and it does not fill the background of the cells as previously related.
> Is this a scam/sham?  What good is the program if it does not work properly and completely?

It would help us to answer your question if you provided adequate
information about your issue:

1. Which link are you referring to?
2. Which operating system are you using?
3. Can you provide more detailed information about your issue.

Several million other users are not experiencing the same problem.

only. Any messages sent to my personal address are automatically deleted
from the server and will never be read.

Re: Failure

Dave AOO
Fist, please calm down and stop ranting. Like you and everyone else in
this project, I am just a user trying to help a fellow user.

Not sure why you paid anyone for the software it is, always has ben and
always will be free to download and use.

I do not know what you mean by "fill the background of the cells". Are
these "cells" in a Calc spreadsheet, or a Writer table?

Can you outline the steps you take when you expect those "cells" to be
filled with background colors? With that information it might be
possible to track down the reason why this does not work for you.

On 12/03/2020 17:13, [hidden email] wrote:

> YOU PROVIDED THE LINK FROM WHICH TO DOWNLOAD!  I USED THIS LINK!  AREN'T YOU AWARE OF THE LINK YOU PROVIDED?
> I am using the latest updated version of Windows 10.
> AGAIN!  I have the most recent update of the program I purchased several years ago.  The program now fails to fill the background of the cells with those colors from the color chart provided.  In reviewing older saved files, I find that the background colors have also been removed.
> I have also used the app on Windows 10 that is supposed to make older programs compatible with Windows.  This also does not work.
>

> apache.org>; jhivacaville <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Thu, Mar 12, 2020 8:17 am

Wade Smart-2
Sounds like the original poster is talking about two different things.

Who provided the link?
Post the link for us to see.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:57 PM AOO User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fist, please calm down and stop ranting. Like you and everyone else in
> this project, I am just a user trying to help a fellow user.
>
> Not sure why you paid anyone for the software it is, always has ben and
> always will be free to download and use.
>
> I do not know what you mean by "fill the background of the cells". Are
> these "cells" in a Calc spreadsheet, or a Writer table?
>
> Can you outline the steps you take when you expect those "cells" to be
> filled with background colors? With that information it might be
> possible to track down the reason why this does not work for you.
>
> On 12/03/2020 17:13, [hidden email] wrote:
> > YOU PROVIDED THE LINK FROM WHICH TO DOWNLOAD!  I USED THIS LINK!  AREN'T YOU AWARE OF THE LINK YOU PROVIDED?
> > I am using the latest updated version of Windows 10.
> > AGAIN!  I have the most recent update of the program I purchased several years ago.  The program now fails to fill the background of the cells with those colors from the color chart provided.  In reviewing older saved files, I find that the background colors have also been removed.
> > I have also used the app on Windows 10 that is supposed to make older programs compatible with Windows.  This also does not work.
> >

> > apache.org>; jhivacaville <[hidden email]>
> > Sent: Thu, Mar 12, 2020 8:17 am

Fwd: Failure

jhivacaville-2
This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in my online searches.
FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and has been updated free of further charges thereafter.  I have never seen anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

Sent: Thu, Mar 12, 2020 8:17 am

> I downloaded from the provided link.  The installation does not install the desktop icon and it does not fill the background of the cells as previously related.
> Is this a scam/sham?  What good is the program if it does not work properly and completely?

It would help us to answer your question if you provided adequate
information about your issue:

1. Which link are you referring to?
2. Which operating system are you using?
3. Can you provide more detailed information about your issue.

Several million other users are not experiencing the same problem.

only. Any messages sent to my personal address are automatically deleted
from the server and will never be read.

Re: Failure

Wade Smart-2
1) You are contacting a USER group.
2) It is the ONLY support you will get from Apache.
3) If you have Windows 10 then you do not have the
most recent version - but updates. Install the latest
version from the site AS IT IS FREE OF CHARGE
and if you have any problems from there - without
being a total ass - describe the problem you are
having and people will be more than happy to help.

--

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:24 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
> How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in my online searches.
> FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and has been updated free of further charges thereafter.  I have never seen anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

Alan Boba-2
jhivacaville,

Go to this website to download the latest version of the program, free.
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

As already mentioned the program is free.

The message does go to all users, not to Apache foundation. This is not
ridiculous. This is the support model for this program and many other open
source programs. It is a different model than used by commercial software
publishers.

Everyone here is a volunteer providing free support to other users. Neither
strong words, frustration or CAPITAL LETTERS will change that.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 3:24 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
> How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in
> my online searches.
> FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and
> has been updated free of further charges thereafter.  I have never seen
> anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Failure

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

Many people have created versions of OpenOffice.org and Apache OpenOffice. Typically they bundle a version on a DVD and charge a nominal fee. Often they do very little and even point users to the various free, community supported resources like this mailing list.

The Apache Software Foundation is a non-profit that is dedicated to providing software for the public good free of charge. Oracle Corp. donated the codebase and trademarks to the Foundation nearly 9 years ago. The project and code is now managed completely by unpaid volunteers.

You should download the latest version from https://www.openoffice.org/download/. This will redirect you to SourceForge who generously support the community by providing mirroring services for OpenOffice downloads.

We can support you here if that is where you got your copy. If not then we cannot say. We are sorry that someone sold you a disk w/o much support.

Regards,
Dave

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 12:23 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
> How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in my online searches.
> FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and has been updated free of further charges thereafter.  I have never seen anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

Chuck Spalding

Please note that "Apache" has the domain name "apache.*ORG*", not "apache.
*COM*". It is not a commercial organization, which you can see if you visit
their website <https://www.apache.org>.

Regarding how to contact "Apache", have you tried looking at their website?
(When I do a Google search for "apache", the apache.org site is listed at
the *top* of the results.)

You could also look at the OpenOffice website
<https://www.openoffice.org> (which,
again is a .ORG site).

As somebody else wrote earlier, please calm down. You are not being ripped
off.

Regards,

Chuck

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
> How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in
> my online searches.
> FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and
> has been updated free of further charges thereafter.  I have never seen
> anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

Re[2]: Failure

Amin Jacek Pędziwiater
I'm gonna add a few more useful remarks, I think:
1) To uninstall OpenOffice use an advanced uninstaller such as Revo
Uninstaller and consistently clear all registry entries and program
remnants (there are such options during the uninstallation process);
2) Remove the OpenOffice folder with all content from the
%AppData%Roaming% path, but first select "Show hidden files and folders"
in the folder options;
3) Delete files from the %AppData%Local%Temp% folder;
Then install to the purely latest version of OpenOffice downloaded from
the page provided by Wade in the link.
Good luck

>2) It is the ONLY support you will get from Apache.
>3) If you have Windows 10 then you do not have the
>most recent version - but updates. Install the latest
>version from the site AS IT IS FREE OF CHARGE
>and if you have any problems from there - without
>being a total ass - describe the problem you are
>having and people will be more than happy to help.
>

>--
>Registered Linux User: #480675
>Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>Linux since June 2005
>
>On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:24 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
>>  How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in my online searches.
>>  FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and has been updated free of further charges thereafter.  I have never seen anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

Re[3]: Failure

Amin Jacek Pędziwiater
I'm sorry for the mistake, the correct link to download the package in
this correspondence was provided by Dave Fisher and not, as previously,
I wrote in a hurry.
>I'm gonna add a few more useful remarks, I think:
>1) To uninstall OpenOffice use an advanced uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller and consistently clear all registry entries and program remnants (there are such options during the uninstallation process);
>2) Remove the OpenOffice folder with all content from the %AppData%Roaming% path, but first select "Show hidden files and folders" in the folder options;
>3) Delete files from the %AppData%Local%Temp% folder;
>Then install to the purely latest version of OpenOffice downloaded from the page provided by Wade in the link.
>Good luck

Re: Failure

jhivacaville-2
I JUST TRIED THE METHOD UNDER THE SCHOO APP OF APACHE.ORG FOR FORMATTING A CELL BACKGROUND.  IT DID NOT FILL THE CELL BACKGROUND WITH THE COLOR SELECTED.  BEFORE I CLICKED THE CELL/FORMAT/BACKGROUND/COLOR  DESIRED/OK AND THE CELL BACKGROUND FILLED WITH THE SELECTED COLOR.  I ALSO CHECKED OLDER SAVED FILES AND FOUND THAT THE BACKGROUND COLORS WERE GONE.  THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!
Jim

Please note that "Apache" has the domain name "apache.*ORG*", not "apache.
*COM*". It is not a commercial organization, which you can see if you visit
their website <https://www.apache.org>.

Regarding how to contact "Apache", have you tried looking at their website?
(When I do a Google search for "apache", the apache.org site is listed at
the *top* of the results.)

You could also look at the OpenOffice website
<https://www.openoffice.org> (which,
again is a .ORG site).

As somebody else wrote earlier, please calm down. You are not being ripped
off.

Regards,

Chuck

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
> How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in
> my online searches.
> FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and
> has been updated free of further charges thereafter.  I have never seen
> anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

Jim - you are not answer anyones question.
No one is going to help you when you are screaming
like a little child.

--

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 5:21 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I JUST TRIED THE METHOD UNDER THE SCHOO APP OF APACHE.ORG FOR FORMATTING A CELL BACKGROUND.  IT DID NOT FILL THE CELL BACKGROUND WITH THE COLOR SELECTED.  BEFORE I CLICKED THE CELL/FORMAT/BACKGROUND/COLOR  DESIRED/OK AND THE CELL BACKGROUND FILLED WITH THE SELECTED COLOR.  I ALSO CHECKED OLDER SAVED FILES AND FOUND THAT THE BACKGROUND COLORS WERE GONE.  THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!
> Jim

Re: Failure

Shari Lynn Smith
Jim,

Do you want help? Or do you just want to slam the forum with your ALL
CAP mails.

This is NOT paid support.

This is humans helping other humans.

Show some respect & patience.

Respond to what you  have been asked.

Do what you have been asked.

This is FREE software & community volunteer support.

Respectfully,

Shari

Re: Failure

Dave AOO
On 12/03/2020 19:23, [hidden email] wrote:
> This is ridiculous!  This message goes to all users--not to Apache!

As others have already explained, Apache OpenOffice user support is
provided by this mailing list and the forum at:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/
You should understand that the non-profit ASF (Apache Software
Foundation), is not a commercial for profit business. The Apache
OpenOffice project is just one of more than 300 projects that make up
the ASF. See: https://apache.org/index.html#projects-list

> How is Apache contacted?  I can't get anything but a bunch of garbage in my online searches.

Even if you were able to contact someone at what you perceive to be
"Apache", they could only refer you back here to the Apache OpenOffice
project for user support

> FYI.  The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago and has been updated free of further charges thereafter.

Yes, there are many who sell FOSS (Free Open Source Software) and expect
volunteers like us to provide free support.

> I have never seen anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

It has been free for anyone to download and use since 2001, when the
original sponsors Sun Microsystems made the code open source.
See: https://www.openoffice.org/why/why_free.html

Now if you will answer our questions and explain your issue in detail we
will try to provide you with a solution.

Re: [Supposed] Failure

Brian Barker-2
At 14:54 12/03/2020 +0000, James Ingram wrote:
>The installation [...] does not fill the background of the cells as
>previously related. Is this a scam/sham?

No, it is not.

>What good is the program if it does not work properly and completely?

As many fellow users on the list will know, OpenOffice does work
well. You may well be finding a problem, but that does not
necessarily mean there is any bug in the software. Indeed, if
something as basic as you have so far described were at all common,
millions of users would be complaining. So something is different
about your installation or your use of the application.

At 17:13 12/03/2020 +0000, James Ingram wrote:
>I am using the latest updated version of Windows 10. [...] The
>program now fails to fill the background of the cells with those
>colors from the color chart provided. In reviewing older saved
>files, I find that the background colors have also been removed.

There may be a reason for this; read on.

>I have also used the app on Windows 10 that is supposed to make
>older programs compatible with Windows. This also does not work.

That is an element of Microsoft Windows, of course - and has nothing
to do with OpenOffice.

At 19:23 12/03/2020 +0000, James Ingram wrote:
>This is ridiculous! This message goes to all users--not to Apache!
>How is Apache contacted?

Support for OpenOffice is provided by fellow users - many of which
have tried patiently to help you, despite your unwillingness to
answer questions and provide sufficient detail. There is no-one at
Apache responsible for supporting you.

>FYI. The original disc was purchased at Sam's Club several years ago
>and has been updated free of further charges thereafter. I have
>never seen anything that says the program was originally free of charge.

It's unwise to pay for a free product unless additional services are
provided. Clearly here additional support was not. You know about
Apache, and you can hardy miss on its web site that all its projects
are open-source and available "at 100% no cost".

At 22:20 12/03/2020 +0000, James Ingram wrote:
>I JUST TRIED [...] FORMATTING A CELL BACKGROUND. IT DID NOT FILL THE
>CELL BACKGROUND WITH THE COLOR SELECTED . I ALSO CHECKED OLDER SAVED
>FILES AND FOUND THAT THE BACKGROUND COLORS WERE GONE. [Original shouting]

Here's a suggestion. Operating systems, including your Windows 10,
often provide options to modify the screen appearance for the benefit
of people with sight difficulties - as well as for other reasons. One
of these is "high contrast", which can mean that the screen display
is in monochrome. If you set such an option, OpenOffice will
helpfully inherit it from the operating system. Indeed, there would
be no point in such options unless they carried into the behaviour of
applications.

If you have opted for "high contrast" in Windows' Settings and you
have text (or other cell contents) in black and attempt to set a pale
background colour, OpenOffice will increase contrast by suppressing
display of the background colour - leaving the background white. It
is important to realise that, in this circumstance, the background
colour setting has not been ignored and - if you print the document -
the background colour will show correctly. It is merely in the
editing display as well as in Page Preview that OpenOffice has
helpfully followed what you appear to have chosen and shown your
document in a way that may be easier to work on.

A simple way of confirming this, short of actually printing your
document on a colour printer, is to use File | Export as PDF... from
within OpenOffice to create a Portable Document Format version of the
document. When you open this in your favourite PDF viewer, it will
display with your chosen background colours.

Note that, since high contrast is an operating system setting and not
something saved in your document, your colours would display
correctly in OpenOffice on another system or for another user who had
not chosen high contrast settings.

Again, since this is an operating system setting, it will apply
equally to existing documents - exactly as you have described.

It is possible that you have set high contrast without intending to,
though you would need to press Left-Alt+Shift+Print-Screen (which is
hard to do by mistake!) and even then to accept the subsequent
challenge from Windows. If you want to disable high contrast, you can
do this using the same key combination or - in more detail - via
Start | Settings | Ease of Access | High contrast.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: [Supposed] Failure

jhivacaville-2
Brian
Between you and Wade Smart, this solved the problem.
Thank You.
Jim