Files won’t open

Mary-2
I have typed 6 important files and now they won’t open. I am worried they are all lost! Please help.

Firstly when I open open office is says ‘Windows is searching for soffice’  so I press browse to locate files. They then appear on screen but when I try to open them, it says ‘ error - the system cannot find the file specified’

Please can you help?

Thank you

Re: Files won’t open

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 23:28:20 +0100
Mary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have typed 6 important files and now they won’t open. I am worried they are all lost! Please help.
>
> Firstly when I open open office is says ‘Windows is searching for soffice’  so I press browse to locate files. They then appear on screen but when I try to open them, it says ‘ error - the system cannot find the file specified’
>
> Please can you help?
>
> Thank you

Search first for soffice.exe, to establish that OpenOffice is still on your computer.  If it is, then starting soffice.exe will allow you to use /File /Open to open each of your target files in turn.  You can set OpenOffice to be the default program for opening its files by the following methods - this is called setting File Associations:

I'm out of touch with modern versions of Windows, bu the traditional method of setting File associations is to right click on a file of the type you wish to associate, then from the popup choose "Open with" and select the file you wish to open that type. At the bottom of the window should be an "Always open with" link (words to that effect). Best to choose this to ensure that OpenOffice always opens the files.

I am told that these settings can also be changed by Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs ..., and Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program (in this case, OpenOffice, which may show as soffice.exe).

Note that MS Windows updates may silently reset these associations to point to their trial Office365; so you may have to do this after such updates.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Files won’t open

Toby Hall
Please unsubscribe me - Thanks.

> On 1 Sep 2018, at 00:08, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 23:28:20 +0100
> Mary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have typed 6 important files and now they won’t open. I am worried they are all lost! Please help.
>>
>> Firstly when I open open office is says ‘Windows is searching for soffice’  so I press browse to locate files. They then appear on screen but when I try to open them, it says ‘ error - the system cannot find the file specified’
>>
>> Please can you help?
>>
>> Thank you
>

> Search first for soffice.exe, to establish that OpenOffice is still on your computer.  If it is, then starting soffice.exe will allow you to use /File /Open to open each of your target files in turn.  You can set OpenOffice to be the default program for opening its files by the following methods - this is called setting File Associations:
>
> I'm out of touch with modern versions of Windows, bu the traditional method of setting File associations is to right click on a file of the type you wish to associate, then from the popup choose "Open with" and select the file you wish to open that type. At the bottom of the window should be an "Always open with" link (words to that effect). Best to choose this to ensure that OpenOffice always opens the files.
>
> I am told that these settings can also be changed by Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs ..., and Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program (in this case, OpenOffice, which may show as soffice.exe).
>
> Note that MS Windows updates may silently reset these associations to point to their trial Office365; so you may have to do this after such updates.
>
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Files won’t open

Keith N. McKenna
On 9/1/2018 2:10 PM, Toby Hall wrote:
> Please unsubscribe me - Thanks.
Send a blank email to mailto:[hidden email] and
then reply to the return e-mail you will get. If you do not see the
reply in your inbox check your spam folder.

Regards
Keith