Filtering vowels

Alan Yaniger
Hi list-members,

In Hebrew, words are usually written with consonants only, but sometimes
they are written with vowels as well. The vowels (known as "niqqud") are
placed within, above, or below the consonants, but do not constitute
separate letters themselves.

For spellchecking, I don't want to take the vowels into account. If a
word has vowels, I strip the vowels from the word in code that I've
added to SpellChecker::GetSpellFailure in sspellimp.cxx, and then pass
the stripped word to the spell checker.

Generally it's working, but I have a couple of problems. One problem: if
I right click on a misspelled word with vowels, I don't get any
suggestions. Another problem: if I change a word in the spellcheck
dialog, and then click "Change All", it doesn't change the other
occurances.

Any suggestions about how I can go about fixing these problems?

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Filtering vowels

Alan Yaniger
Hi list-members,

I found the solution by adding similar code to strip the word of vowels
in SpellChecker:spell.

Alan

Alan Yaniger wrote:

> Hi list-members,
>

> In Hebrew, words are usually written with consonants only, but
> sometimes they are written with vowels as well. The vowels (known as
> "niqqud") are placed within, above, or below the consonants, but do
> not constitute separate letters themselves.
>

> For spellchecking, I don't want to take the vowels into account. If a
> word has vowels, I strip the vowels from the word in code that I've
> added to SpellChecker::GetSpellFailure in sspellimp.cxx, and then pass
> the stripped word to the spell checker.
>

> Generally it's working, but I have a couple of problems. One problem:
> if I right click on a misspelled word with vowels, I don't get any
> suggestions. Another problem: if I change a word in the spellcheck
> dialog, and then click "Change All", it doesn't change the other
> occurances.
>

> Any suggestions about how I can go about fixing these problems?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alan

Re: Filtering vowels

nemeth-2

Hunspell 1.1.5 has a new feature for handling optional letters,
like Arabic harakat and Hebrew niqqud.

See tests/ignore* test files in the Hunspell distribution
(http://hunspell.sourceforge.net).

Unfortunatelly, there are some new bugs that need to fix before
the integration of the new Hunspell.

Regards,

Laci

P.S. I will compress Hebrew MySpell dictionary by
double affixes to fix the loading time problem reported
here.