Fixed broken Wiki Widget

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fixed broken Wiki Widget

Clayton-24
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide 
page has been broken for a while.

The AddThis Wiki Widget was having permissions issues on the webserver
side (wrong permissions on a directory).  The result was that the
AddThis Widget caused an error on the webserver, and the page would not
be rendered or shown.

I've fixed the webserver problem, and all works again as it's supposed to.

Just a note to everyone, if you see a Wiki page that just comes up
blank, let me know, or send a note to [hidden email]  A
blank Wiki page (I mean completely blank, with no Wiki menus etc.) means
that there is some broken coding on the Wiki page (or even worse, the
Wiki server is mis-configured as was the case this time), and it needs
to be looked at and fixed.  Don't assume it's just your browser :-)

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixed broken Wiki Widget

Claire Wood
Clayton

Sorry, I'm just replying to this now. Do you think the AddThis widget is
causing more problems though? I'm just wondering if I should look around for
an alternative.
Claire
On 9 August 2010 07:55, Clayton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guidepage has been broken for a while.
>
> The AddThis Wiki Widget was having permissions issues on the webserver side
> (wrong permissions on a directory).  The result was that the AddThis Widget
> caused an error on the webserver, and the page would not be rendered or
> shown.
>
> I've fixed the webserver problem, and all works again as it's supposed to.
>
> Just a note to everyone, if you see a Wiki page that just comes up blank,
> let me know, or send a note to [hidden email]  A blank Wiki
> page (I mean completely blank, with no Wiki menus etc.) means that there is
> some broken coding on the Wiki page (or even worse, the Wiki server is
> mis-configured as was the case this time), and it needs to be looked at and
> fixed.  Don't assume it's just your browser :-)
>
> C.
> --
> Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
> OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Best wishes

Claire Wood
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixed broken Wiki Widget

Clayton-24
On 08/12/10 12:58, Claire Wood wrote:
> Clayton
>
> Sorry, I'm just replying to this now. Do you think the AddThis widget is
> causing more problems though? I'm just wondering if I should look around for
> an alternative.

Mmmm no I don't think the widget itself is causing issues.  The
permissions changed on the rendering director on the webserver....
someone (that'd be me) was in there tinkering, and set the permissions
wrong.  I didn't notice... it was set so it wasn't writable by the
webserver.  The widget needed to be able to write some file to this
directory.  When it couldn't it failed... and all the user would see is
a blank page.  Once I fixed the permissions... it started working fine
again.

I don't think we need to find a new solution... at least not right now.


C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Base mid level tutorial posted

mcasanova
In reply to this post by Claire Wood
Dear community:

Please note that the completed Mid-level Base Tutorial has been posted.
You can find it at:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=778&expandFolder=778&folderID=778

Please consider this a beta version. I will be receiving feedback about it
until September and will introduce any relevant changes then. After this,
this edition will be considered frozen.

Drew, if you find this work acceptable I would appreciate if you leave a
sticky about it at the ooforum, Base. I am also very interested in your
feedback.

Cheers,

Mariano Casanova


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Base mid level tutorial posted

Drew Jensen
  On 08/12/2010 08:31 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear community:
>
> Please note that the completed Mid-level Base Tutorial has been posted.
> You can find it at:
>
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=778&expandFolder=778&folderID=778
>
> Please consider this a beta version. I will be receiving feedback about it
> until September and will introduce any relevant changes then. After this,
> this edition will be considered frozen.
>
> Drew, if you find this work acceptable I would appreciate if you leave a
> sticky about it at the ooforum, Base. I am also very interested in your
> feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano Casanova
>
>
Hi Mariano,

(First sorry if this email arrives twice...odd things with the computer
today..)

I have it downloaded and have begun reading.

I used the .sql file you uploaded to create a Base file database -
worked as a charm under 3.2 - 3.3 beta.

Tried a few of the queries - hit a small problem.

The document it using nice double quotes that need to be changed - and -
there can be line break problems in copy/paste.

So for instance looking at the example on page #136. If I copy / paste
this into a query definition I get this:

SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( “Patient”.“Surname”, ', ' ), “Patient”.“First

Name” ) AS “Patient Name”,

“Phone Number”.“Number”,

“Phone Number”.“Description”

FROM “Patient”, “Phone Number”

WHERE “Patient”.“ID Number” = “Phone Number”.“Patient ID”

ORDER BY “Patient Name” ASC;



*chuckling*...which the email list server might change again..

OK the query fails for two reasons.

1 - the characters " and ” must be "
2 - A object name which, in this case "First Name", can not have break
across lines.

So to get the query to run I need this

SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( "Patient"."Surname", ', ' ), "Patient"."First Name" ) AS "Patient Name",

"Phone Number"."Number",

"Phone Number"."Description"

FROM "Patient", "Phone Number"

WHERE "Patient"."ID Number" = "Phone Number"."Patient ID"

ORDER BY "Patient Name" ASC;



or this,

SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( "Patient"."Surname", ', ' ),

"Patient"."First Name" ) AS "Patient Name",

"Phone Number"."Number",

"Phone Number"."Description"

FROM "Patient", "Phone Number"

WHERE "Patient"."ID Number" = "Phone Number"."Patient ID"

ORDER BY "Patient Name" ASC;


perhaps.

Other wise - It's reading very nicely..

Question - will you be including any example data? or an ODB file even?

Thanks

Drew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feedback by Drew Jensen for Base Tutorial

mcasanova
Hi Drew, and thank you for sending me feedback. I really appreciate this.

I did notice the slanted quote signs and how text with them would
sometimes throw an error when I try to run it as a query. This did bother
me too, a lot, but wasn't sure of what was going on. That is why I wrote
the footnote in page 112. Now I see. It seems that OO.oWriter included
them automatically (and sometimes not). I will change this.

On the other hand and except for the SQL that composes the example
database, the philosophy of the tutorial is that all code snippets should
be typed and not copy and pasted. There is a reason for this:

Theories of cognition describe several levels of knowledge: to know about,
to understand, to apply... (to cite the earlier stages) and then there is
this idea I align with that suggests that knowledge is always tied to
action. I can describe how the little dots in a pentagram translate to
musical pitches and durations but you can't really apply that knowledge to
reading music until you have actually practiced coordinating their
rendition with playing an instrument. I want people to learn by doing. For
the same reason I'm not sure if I want to provide odb files.I do have many
odb files I wrote while researching this project so uploading some is not
a problem; but I really think that the tutorial gives enough detailed
information for the reader to produce his/her own, which is what I  really
want.

I made an exception with the code for the tables because it is introduced
before it is explained and because it's quite long and I didn't want to
create a major barrier so early (and even then I recommend the reader to
take the time and type them anyway). I provide this code in a separate txt
file because I did not want the problem of the slanted quotes or the
unrequested line breaks to appear and didn't know another way to do it.

The line breaks in the tutorial were decided by the application. I'm going
to check and see if a reader who is actually typing them would have enough
context to distinguish physical line breaks from logical ones. However, I
am open to arguments that recommend that I re-format the code anyway.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback.

Mariano.


> Hi Mariano,
>
> (First sorry if this email arrives twice...odd things with the computer
> today..)
>
> I have it downloaded and have begun reading.
>
> I used the .sql file you uploaded to create a Base file database -
> worked as a charm under 3.2 - 3.3 beta.
>
> Tried a few of the queries - hit a small problem.
>
> The document it using nice double quotes that need to be changed - and -
> there can be line break problems in copy/paste.
>
> So for instance looking at the example on page #136. If I copy / paste
> this into a query definition I get this:
>
> SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( “Patient”.“Surname”, ', ' ), “Patient”.“First
>
> Name” ) AS “Patient Name”,
>
> “Phone Number”.“Number”,
>
> “Phone Number”.“Description”
>
> FROM “Patient”, “Phone Number”
>
> WHERE “Patient”.“ID Number” = “Phone Number”.“Patient ID”
>
> ORDER BY “Patient Name” ASC;
>
>
>
> *chuckling*...which the email list server might change again..
>
> OK the query fails for two reasons.
>
> 1 - the characters " and ” must be "
> 2 - A object name which, in this case "First Name", can not have break
> across lines.
>
> So to get the query to run I need this
>
> SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( "Patient"."Surname", ', ' ), "Patient"."First Name"
> ) AS "Patient Name",
>
> "Phone Number"."Number",
>
> "Phone Number"."Description"
>
> FROM "Patient", "Phone Number"
>
> WHERE "Patient"."ID Number" = "Phone Number"."Patient ID"
>
> ORDER BY "Patient Name" ASC;
>
>
>
> or this,
>
> SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( "Patient"."Surname", ', ' ),
>
> "Patient"."First Name" ) AS "Patient Name",
>
> "Phone Number"."Number",
>
> "Phone Number"."Description"
>
> FROM "Patient", "Phone Number"
>
> WHERE "Patient"."ID Number" = "Phone Number"."Patient ID"
>
> ORDER BY "Patient Name" ASC;
>
>
> perhaps.
>
> Other wise - It's reading very nicely..
>
> Question - will you be including any example data? or an ODB file even?
>
> Thanks
>
> Drew
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback by Drew Jensen for Base Tutorial

Drew Jensen
  On 08/14/2010 01:28 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Drew, and thank you for sending me feedback. I really appreciate this.
>
> I did notice the slanted quote signs and how text with them would
> sometimes throw an error when I try to run it as a query. This did bother
> me too, a lot, but wasn't sure of what was going on. That is why I wrote
> the footnote in page 112. Now I see. It seems that OO.oWriter included
> them automatically (and sometimes not). I will change this.
>
> On the other hand and except for the SQL that composes the example
> database, the philosophy of the tutorial is that all code snippets should
> be typed and not copy and pasted. There is a reason for this:

*chuckling*..as I was typing the email I was thinking...hmmm, Mariano is
a professor and you know he is going to say...

> Theories of cognition describe several levels of knowledge: to know about,
> to understand, to apply...

*smile*

Alright - well, I will go ahead and keep on moving the SQL (cpy/pst) but
only for QA purposes then...so far, other then typography no problems
getting any of the SQL to run.

I have to say also, I really am looking forward to reading 'in detail'
your section on aggregate functions.

Til later,

Drew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback by Drew Jensen for Base Tutorial

mcasanova
Thank you Drew. I am very interested in knowing what you think about the
aggregate functions section.

Please note that I have reviewed and corrected all SQL code that had
slanted quotation marks. In doing so I also found some typos (like missing
quotation marks) that have also been corrected.

The updated version has been published with date 2010/08/14. You might
want to switch your copy. There are no other changes in the text.

Cheers,

Mariano.

********************************

> Alright - well, I will go ahead and keep on moving the SQL (cpy/pst) but
> only for QA purposes then...so far, other then typography no problems
> getting any of the SQL to run.
>
> I have to say also, I really am looking forward to reading 'in detail'
> your section on aggregate functions.
>
> Til later,
>
> Drew
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback by Drew Jensen for Base Tutorial

Drew Jensen
  On 08/14/2010 05:36 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thank you Drew. I am very interested in knowing what you think about the
> aggregate functions section.
>
> Please note that I have reviewed and corrected all SQL code that had
> slanted quotation marks. In doing so I also found some typos (like missing
> quotation marks) that have also been corrected.
>
> The updated version has been published with date 2010/08/14. You might
> want to switch your copy. There are no other changes in the text.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano.
>

Hello Mariano, et al,

Grabbed the updated version and here is where I'm at:

Section 1 - rather a fast skimming (I will go back to this section now
in earnest)
Section 2 - went through with a bit more detail
Section 3 - hunkered down and when through these chapters in earnest.

Couple of comments first:

Chapter Seven has this in the first paragraph:
"Now is time to turn on the computer. Go ahead!"
Oh, praise the Lord!

This approach of reinforcing to the reader the importance of 'thinking'
before you start typing when developing their database really is quite
important. (I best stop here, on this subject, lest a rant follow on the
difference between a spreadsheet and a database)

Alright then, so much for inflating the ego...and now:

Actually there is only one 'and now', Chapter Nine and the section:
Querying more than one table at a time

This is the only section that I thought needed just a bit more depth.
Reading along I was impressed with the job you did of keeping the level
of detail focused to the reader's skill level. I've tried my hand at a
few tutorials and finding the right balance, then maintaining it, is
something that has proven, for me at least, difficult. Honestly I think
I missed it much more often then hit it. For the most part I think you
are pretty close to spot on.

With the exception of this section on Joins. The text shows only the use
of an inner join making no mention of outer joins. I think this is a
mistake. This is a fairly fundamental concept IMO and even if you don't
go into great detail I think it merits a paragraph or two and a link to
further reading.

Anyway - I'll stop here for the moment and plan on getting back to it
again tomorrow and drop another email when I do.

Till then,

Drew





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Drew Jensen
  Hi,

Went over Section 1 this morning.

One small typo - 1st paragraph on page 28 "spouses of a person, and
unsigned byte ", the 'and' >> 'an'.

The chapter on normalization is excellent.

The chapter on data types I really want to go over again, I felt a bit
uneasy with one of two items. Nit-picky stuff, rather the nature of the
subject matter. Anyway, I may want to offer a replacement for one or two
lines (that's all) - but want first to go check some facts. I can get to
that this evening, but again, it's nit-picky so maybe not appropriate
for the audience. Also, perhaps others may have a different take on it.

Over all Section 1 is quite good IMO.

Alright - I'll get to Section 2 tomorrow.

Thanks

Drew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

mcasanova
Drew:

Thank you so much for all your input and the exhaustive way in which you
are analyzing the text. Also, thank you for your words.

I read what you said about the outer joins. I did not include them simply
because I had never come across them (I am ashamed to admit). Immediately
after reading your post I went to do some research. I discovered that
different software implements them differently. Checking the hsqldb.org
website (chapter 9, version 1.8) I discovered further that the SELECT
command has syntax for a left outer join and a right outer join.

If you are so kind to send me a query that uses each I will happily
include a section on these joins (the syntax seems very different to the
implicit join syntax I have been using). So far I am able to understand
what do these joins do but I would be very appreciative if you let me know
where to find info that explains what kind of problem they were designed
to solve.

Again, thanks a lot.

Mariano.

>   Hi,
>
> Went over Section 1 this morning.
>
> One small typo - 1st paragraph on page 28 "spouses of a person, and
> unsigned byte ", the 'and' >> 'an'.
>
> The chapter on normalization is excellent.
>
> The chapter on data types I really want to go over again, I felt a bit
> uneasy with one of two items. Nit-picky stuff, rather the nature of the
> subject matter. Anyway, I may want to offer a replacement for one or two
> lines (that's all) - but want first to go check some facts. I can get to
> that this evening, but again, it's nit-picky so maybe not appropriate
> for the audience. Also, perhaps others may have a different take on it.
>
> Over all Section 1 is quite good IMO.
>
> Alright - I'll get to Section 2 tomorrow.
>
> Thanks
>
> Drew
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Drew Jensen
  Howdy Mariano,

Went through Section 2 this morning.

Nice job again on the data modeling section, that can be tricky stuff
and you handle it IMO quite well.

OK, one small typo.
Page 66, 1st line.
"This form is built" >> This report is built

As for the joins I'll get something together and off to you here shortly.

Best wishes,

Drew



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Buck Deadrich
In reply to this post by Drew Jensen
Don't know why I am receiving this.  It has no bearing on me.

--- On Fri, 8/20/10, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:


From: Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [documentation-dev] Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial
To: [hidden email]
Date: Friday, August 20, 2010, 9:14 AM


Hi,

Went over Section 1 this morning.

One small typo - 1st paragraph on page 28 "spouses of a person, and unsigned byte ", the 'and' >> 'an'.

The chapter on normalization is excellent.

The chapter on data types I really want to go over again, I felt a bit uneasy with one of two items. Nit-picky stuff, rather the nature of the subject matter. Anyway, I may want to offer a replacement for one or two lines (that's all) - but want first to go check some facts. I can get to that this evening, but again, it's nit-picky so maybe not appropriate for the audience. Also, perhaps others may have a different take on it.

Over all Section 1 is quite good IMO.

Alright - I'll get to Section 2 tomorrow.

Thanks

Drew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Buck Deadrich
I don't understand why I am receiving this.  I am not part of any "tutorial"  please remove my name.  thanks Buck Deadrich

--- On Tue, 8/24/10, Buck Deadrich <[hidden email]> wrote:


From: Buck Deadrich <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [documentation-dev] Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial
To: [hidden email]
Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 4:20 PM


Don't know why I am receiving this.  It has no bearing on me.

--- On Fri, 8/20/10, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:


From: Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [documentation-dev] Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial
To: [hidden email]
Date: Friday, August 20, 2010, 9:14 AM


Hi,

Went over Section 1 this morning.

One small typo - 1st paragraph on page 28 "spouses of a person, and unsigned byte ", the 'and' >> 'an'.

The chapter on normalization is excellent.

The chapter on data types I really want to go over again, I felt a bit uneasy with one of two items. Nit-picky stuff, rather the nature of the subject matter. Anyway, I may want to offer a replacement for one or two lines (that's all) - but want first to go check some facts. I can get to that this evening, but again, it's nit-picky so maybe not appropriate for the audience. Also, perhaps others may have a different take on it.

Over all Section 1 is quite good IMO.

Alright - I'll get to Section 2 tomorrow.

Thanks

Drew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]




     


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Drew Jensen
In reply to this post by Buck Deadrich
  On 08/24/2010 07:20 PM, Buck Deadrich wrote:
> Don't know why I am receiving this.  It has no bearing on me.
>
> --- On Fri, 8/20/10, Drew Jensen<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

Hi Buck,

Well, do you mean -

How did you get on a mailing list?
or
How is this relevant to this mailing list?

Thanks

Drew

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Drew Jensen
In reply to this post by Buck Deadrich
Hello again Buck,

OK, I'm going to guess that you mean how did you get on the list.

I don't know, but I can tell you how to get your name of it.

Simply send an email to:
[hidden email]

Using the same email account you are receiving the email on - you will get a
confirmation message asking if you really want to leave, simply respond to
that and you are done.

Hope that helps

Drew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Andy Brown-5
In reply to this post by Buck Deadrich
Buck Deadrich wrote:
> Don't know why I am receiving this.  It has no bearing on me.
>

Buck,

You received the message because your on the mailing list.  Some how
your address was registered with the mailing list.  To unsubscribe click
the link below and send a blank email. Follow the instructions in the
reply email.

[hidden email]


Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Jean Hollis Weber-3
In reply to this post by Buck Deadrich
Buck, some time ago you wrote to Documentation indicating your interest
in working on the project. Clayton or I responded by suggesting that you
join the mailing list so you could participate. Apparently you did join.
Therefore you are receiving all the messages sent to the list. Many of
them will not be relevant to whatever you might be working on related to
OOo Documentatiion; that's just the way a mailing list works.

As others have pointed out, if you no longer wish to be on the list, you
can unsubscribe. However, then you are unlikely to be able to
participate fully.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
Co-Lead, OpenOffice.org Documentation Project


On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 16:29 -0700, Buck Deadrich wrote:

> I don't understand why I am receiving this.  I am not part of any "tutorial"  please remove my name.  thanks Buck Deadrich
>
> --- On Tue, 8/24/10, Buck Deadrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> From: Buck Deadrich <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [documentation-dev] Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 4:20 PM
>
>
> Don't know why I am receiving this.  It has no bearing on me.

>      




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Joe Smith-4
In reply to this post by mcasanova
[ Sorry, I'm jumping into the middle of a thread here. I don't have the
original message to reply to. ]

Mariano,

As a frustrated beginner with Base, I've been eagerly awaiting a draft
of your tutorial. Now that it's here, I can say it was definitely worth
the wait: you've done a great job organizing the material and explaining
complex material very clearly. That's a big challenge, but you really
nailed it, I think. This should be a huge help to people who need to get
started doing actual work with Base.

As I've read through, I've noticed a few typos and run into some
questions, so I started collecting them. I was going to go all the way
through, but this is long enough already and I want to try to coordinate
with Drew and anyone else who's proofing.

I'm not necessarily looking for a response, but if there's any
follow-up, we can use the list, or just email me directly.

p20
... whether in one filed or in multiple columns.
... whether in one _field_ or in multiple columns.

p21
... Teacher ID and Project Name _conform_ the compound primary key...

Maybe "form"?

Lets _re-sate_ this in formal parlance:
Lets _re-state_ this in formal parlance:

p35
... they are assigned to a _therapists_ ...
... they are assigned to a _therapist_ ...

p36
We can imagine that a patient and a _therapists_ ...
We can imagine that a patient and a _therapist_ ...


p42
Seems to use inconsistent terminology, sometimes referring to the people
being treated at the clinic as "patients" and other times as "clients".
For example,

> What is the situation with the medication? We already know that
> one _client_ would be using... medications (0..n) while several
> medications could be being used by several _patients_ at the same
> time (n..m).

In the same vein, the intermediate table is labeled "Client/Medication"
on p42, and "Patient/Medication" on p44.

p50
... Amount _Payed_ ...
... Amount _Paid_ ...

p58
We will see how all these _is_ done!
We will see how all these _are_ done!

p71
Now is time to turn on the computer.
Now is _the_ time to turn on the computer. (?)

p72
You can also copy and paste these instructions from the link:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=778.

The period at the end of the URL will cause problems if the user is not
savvy or careful enough to avoid selecting it. That seems a little
user-unfriendly to me, especially since there are other ways to present
the URL that make it easier for the user to access the link.

Chapter 7:
You use several terms throughout the text to refer to SQL code:
"command," "statement," and "instruction." I found this to be a little
distracting, even though I know they all refer to the same thing.

p76
... its omission is bound _the_ create confusion.
... its omission is bound _to_ create confusion.

p77
... a known set of column attributes, most of _the_ which have been
described...
... a known set of column attributes, most of which have been described...

This is great help to ensure data integrity.
This is _a_ great help to ensure data integrity.

p81
Note the _coma_ before the ellipsis. This reminds you ... with _comas_.
Note the _comma_ before the ellipsis. This reminds you ... with _commas_.

-- and so throughout the document.

p88
Most of the text boxes are of the same length except for two, the one
after ID Number and Date of Birth.

I don't see a "Date of Birth" field at this point--the "Psychiatrist"
table (instructions on p86) does not contain that field.

p96
I got completely lost trying to get the list box configured, mostly due
to my impatience and not following your directions carefully. The larger
issue is that, if the reader does get lost, there is no easy way to a)
check the configuration of the list box, or b) to go back and re-run the
wizard.

It might be worth anticipating some trouble here and providing the SQL
code that should appear in the control's Data > List content field after
the wizard exits:
SELECT "Surname", "ID Number" FROM "Psychiatrist"

That would allow the reader to check the configuration, or to fix it (by
editing the content field directly) if a mistake was made in navigating
the wizard.

Providing the SQL might also be helpful for showing what the wizard is
actually doing behind the scenes.

I don't know about you, but I find many of the dialogs and wizards in
Base--and this one stands out--particularly difficult to understand.

p98
> The editor in which you have typed this query has two buttons for
> running it: One that looks like two pages with a green tick where they
> overlap and another one that says SQL with a green tick over the
> letters. The first button runs the instruction by Base first, and
> because Base does not understand the double pipes, it will throw an
> error message of improper syntax.

This doesn't match what I see. First, the icons are slightly different.
That's not surprising--different platforms may use a different icon set,
but it might be helpful to mention that the icons may not match your
description.

Second, Base runs the query fine for me, using OOo 3.2.1, with the
result showing in the window panel. It seems the problem with the ||
operators has been resolved.

p100,ff
 > Entering time and date.

This section appears just after a section explaining how to add a
default value for Patient.State. I tried to follow the same steps to add
"CURRENT_TIMESTAMP" as the default value for Patient.Time of registry,
but it doesn't work: Base removes the setting with no warning or
explanation.

This is surprising to me, since the same task in the previous section
worked easily. I see that the text states that the timestamp default
only works when the table is created, but it might be worth a sentence
to give an explicit warning that the previous approach doesn't work in
this case.

p105
Now a new form has appeared, with the name “Standard”...

For me, Base names the new form "Form" and not "Standard".

p108
Let's _firs_ review what is it that we want to achieve: ...
Let's _first_ review what is it that we want to achieve: ...

p109
Bound field specifies how to _bound_ the fields for the list box.
Bound field specifies how to _bind_ the fields for the list box.

p111
This in turn _rest_ on Data Integrity ...
This in turn _rests_ on Data Integrity ...

p112 (footnote 7)
> Yet, the code in the SQL window only shows straight double quotes.
> These differences can make you believe that you are inserting a correct
> character that the SQL window is actually not expecting.

However, the SQL syntax coloring in the newer OOo versions does provide
a hint that something is wrong.

p113
 > Ah! This list is easier for the assistant to use.

Yes, except that Base provides no obvious way to print the query results ;-)

p114
... (which is supposed to be _and_ angle)...
... (which is supposed to be _an_ angle)...
(which is supposed to be and angle)

p115
> It also hints us on that HSQL will not complain about applying any
> combination of functions as long as we don't default the syntax
> and the data type.

Sorry, I can't quite parse that sentence.

Maybe something like

   It also shows that we can use any combination of functions as
  long as we use the correct the syntax and data type.

-----
Page 115 is as far as I've gone so far. I'll send some more as I
continue reading.

Again, great job!

<Joe

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Feedback for Base Tutorial

Drew Jensen
  On 08/26/2010 02:41 PM, Joe Smith wrote:

> [ Sorry, I'm jumping into the middle of a thread here. I don't have
> the original message to reply to. ]
>
> Mariano,
>
> As a frustrated beginner with Base, I've been eagerly awaiting a draft
> of your tutorial. Now that it's here, I can say it was definitely
> worth the wait: you've done a great job organizing the material and
> explaining complex material very clearly. That's a big challenge, but
> you really nailed it, I think. This should be a huge help to people
> who need to get started doing actual work with Base.
>
> As I've read through, I've noticed a few typos and run into some
> questions, so I started collecting them. I was going to go all the way
> through, but this is long enough already and I want to try to
> coordinate with Drew and anyone else who's proofing.
>
> I'm not necessarily looking for a response, but if there's any
> follow-up, we can use the list, or just email me directly.

Wow - well, just proves that I am not copy editor..

>
> p20
> ... whether in one filed or in multiple columns.
> ... whether in one _field_ or in multiple columns.
>
> p21
> ... Teacher ID and Project Name _conform_ the compound primary key...
>
> Maybe "form"?
>
> Lets _re-sate_ this in formal parlance:
> Lets _re-state_ this in formal parlance:
>
> p35
> ... they are assigned to a _therapists_ ...
> ... they are assigned to a _therapist_ ...
>
> p36
> We can imagine that a patient and a _therapists_ ...
> We can imagine that a patient and a _therapist_ ...
>
>
> p42
> Seems to use inconsistent terminology, sometimes referring to the
> people being treated at the clinic as "patients" and other times as
> "clients". For example,
>
>> What is the situation with the medication? We already know that
>> one _client_ would be using... medications (0..n) while several
>> medications could be being used by several _patients_ at the same
>> time (n..m).

On this one - that really is closer to real life - folks talk about
patients and clients and of course it is just one person. There is a
name for this, persona - so sometimes a person has the persona of a
client, for instance when viewed by the client administrator and other
times they have the persona of patient, as when a doctor or therapist is
talking about them.



Drew

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

12