Fontconfig support status?

Bugzilla from espinosa_cz@centrum.cz
Hello everyone,
I have a curious question about status of  support of system fontconfig/freetype in recent OpenOffice.org 2.0.x
Similar question was left unaswered on user forum so I'm trying my luck here..

I use build options --with-system-freetype --enable-fontconfig. Does it mean that OOo will now obey a system fontconfig settings (/etc/fonts.conf) I have a precise per font settings fonts.conf - size and font tailored hinting, autohinting and antialiasing – and I naturally want OOo to follow them.

Or does OO have another conf file where I can set advanced font properties, like: use hinting for Arial font from 14px size and antialiasing from size 12px, fot Times don't use hinting and antialiasing at all etc.
There is GUI (Tools-Options-View) for font setting in Linux OOo but it's way too basic.
OOo is FreeType based so it should be possible somewhat.

What is the exact relation between OOo and system fontconfig/freetype if OOo is build with --with-system-freetype --enable-fontconfig?

Thanks for any hint
Jan Uhlir

There is a similar question in forum, but left unaswered :(
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=28848&highlight=fonts+conf

Re: Fontconfig support status?

Philipp Lohmann
Jan Uhlir wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have a curious question about status of  support of system fontconfig/freetype in recent OpenOffice.org 2.0.x
> Similar question was left unaswered on user forum so I'm trying my luck here..
>
> I use build options --with-system-freetype --enable-fontconfig. Does it mean that OOo will now obey a system fontconfig settings (/etc/fonts.conf) I have a precise per font settings fonts.conf - size and font tailored hinting, autohinting and antialiasing – and I naturally want OOo to follow them.

 > What is the exact relation between OOo and system fontconfig/freetype
if OOo is build with --with-system-freetype --enable-fontconfig?

OOo uses fontconfig to discover available fonts and what their names
are. Also fontconfig is used to discover which UI font to use if you
happen to run the gtk plugin for OOo (usually the case if you run OOo on
Gnome).

The more detailed settings you mentioned are not supported as of now;
that would be an enhancement yet to be implemented.

Kind regards, pl

--
If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day;
if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.