For What Home-Office Tasks are you Using AOO-BASE?

For What Home-Office Tasks are you Using AOO-BASE?

VinceB.
Hello Group:

Steven Ahers made a ref: to AOO BASE within his reply comments to one of
my previous posts. I have not seen (m)any postings via the email list
with regard to AOO BASE or the several other modules, for that matter.

I have yet to come up with a practical use of the AOO BASE module. I
wonder in what way BASE is being used by HomeOffice operators?   An
application of using BASE for developing a "Telephone Directory"
database is what first comes to my mind; I did begin to do that here,
but find that AOO CALC is easier for me.

Anyone care to give their list of BASE task applications? Becoming aware
of how HomeOffice operators are using BASE would be beneficial to me,
and may give me reason to reconsider using a DBM rather than a
spreadsheet tool in some instances.

Regards,

VinceB.

Re: For What Home-Office Tasks are you Using AOO-BASE?

jonathon-3
On 03/09/2017 09:57 PM, VinceB. wrote:

>I have yet to come up with a practical use of the AOO BASE module

People can use BASE for everything that they use the Jet Database Engine
for. The major obstacle being the lack of readily accessible
documentation on using BASE.

> Anyone care to give their list of BASE task applications?

I know a couple of people who use BASE as a front end for SQLite.

Somewhere in the AOo website, but neither in the template section, nor
in the section that explains using BASE, are four or five BASE
templates, for a music database.

In either the AOo or LibO template repository are:
* A recipe database;
* An inventory system;

> and may give me reason to reconsider using a DBM rather than a spreadsheet tool in some instances.

Databases tend to be far less destructive of data than spreadsheets are.

#####

On a personal level, I much prefer SQLite as a database engine.

jonathon

Re: For What Home-Office Tasks are you Using AOO-BASE?

Girvin Herr-2

On 03/09/2017 01:57 PM, VinceB. wrote:

> Hello Group:
>
> Steven Ahers made a ref: to AOO BASE within his reply comments to one
> of my previous posts. I have not seen (m)any postings via the email
> list with regard to AOO BASE or the several other modules, for that
> matter.
>
> I have yet to come up with a practical use of the AOO BASE module. I
> wonder in what way BASE is being used by HomeOffice operators? An
> application of using BASE for developing a "Telephone Directory"
> database is what first comes to my mind; I did begin to do that here,
> but find that AOO CALC is easier for me.
>
> Anyone care to give their list of BASE task applications? Becoming
> aware of how HomeOffice operators are using BASE would be beneficial
> to me, and may give me reason to reconsider using a DBM rather than a
> spreadsheet tool in some instances.
>
> Regards,
>
> VinceB.

Vince,
I use Base as a front end (client) to my Mariadb (MySQL) databases. I
use it mainly for inventory maintenance with several tables of items and
thousands of records on some tables.  I also have my music and video
library on it and print quarterly reports (listings) of what I have.  It
also helps keep me from buying something I already have.

HTH.
Girvin Herr