French judges using OpenOffice - need help create a document template with "fields"

French judges using OpenOffice - need help create a document template with "fields"

marketing1789@outlook.com
Dear all,

I am a French judge presiding over court hearings in Boulogne Billancourt, a Paris’ suburb.

As many of my colleagues, I use OpenOffice to write jugements, courts’ décisions on motions, etc…

As many of my colleagues, I am struggling to create models for documents that should be filled out using templates with « fields ».

I would be grateful if you could provide me with some advices or technical help to do so. The document should have at its top an « instrument panel » containing the « fields » grouped in topics.

I am available for video conference on Skype / Zoom / WhatsApp.

Sincerely yours,

Frédéric Carteron

Provenance : Courrier<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> pour Windows 10

Re: French judges using OpenOffice - need help create a document template with "fields"

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 21:09:44 +0000
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am a French judge presiding over court hearings in Boulogne Billancourt, a Paris’ suburb.
>
> As many of my colleagues, I use OpenOffice to write jugements, courts’ décisions on motions, etc…
>
> As many of my colleagues, I am struggling to create models for documents that should be filled out using templates with « fields ».
>
> I would be grateful if you could provide me with some advices or technical help to do so. The document should have at its top an « instrument panel » containing the « fields » grouped in topics.
>
> I am available for video conference on Skype / Zoom / WhatsApp.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Frédéric Carteron
>

> Provenance : Courrier<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> pour Windows 10

I cannot help with any personal experience of the use of fields, but the following article and the files linked from it have been of use to OpenOffice users with a similar problem.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/three-great-ways-to-use-variables-in-libreoffice-and-openoffice/

Linked from that article is an article and file from an American attorney on his use of fields in preparation of cases for court hearings.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: French judges using OpenOffice - need help create a document template with "fields"

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2

On 9/8/2020 3:31 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 21:09:44 +0000
> "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I cannot help with any personal experience of the use of fields, but the following article and the files linked from it have been of use to OpenOffice users with a similar problem.
>
> https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/three-great-ways-to-use-variables-in-libreoffice-and-openoffice/
>
> Linked from that article is an article and file from an American attorney on his use of fields in preparation of cases for court hearings.

Error 404 on Figures/illustrations within that link.

Re: French judges using OpenOffice - need help create a document template with "fields"

Hagar Delest-2
I used to use it a little bit in the past.
The trick is that the wording is rather confusing. Actually:
To create the field to be edited: Insert → Fields → Other → Variables →
Type=User field → Format=Text → Name=Give_it_a_name →
Value=what_you_want, then click Insert.
To insert the field in several places in the document: Insert → Fields →
Other → Variables → Type=Input field → Selection=The_field
created_previously → Reference=Don't_know_what_it_is_for → Insert. Do
that as many time you need the field to be repeated. It can be pasted also.

To edit the content of the field, double-click the first instance of
User field inserted.

If you need the field to be edited wherever in the document (all
instances will be updated at once), then only insert the same User field
in multiple places.

Don't know what the Reference field is really for in those dialogs (adds
a title to the input dialog but what's the point?).
When inserting the Input field, a dialog appears but it occurs only at
this time (you can change the value of the field or leave it as it is).
Double-clicking it afterwards does nothing at all.

Hagar