Functionality

Tammy Hodges
Hi, thanks for the free open source product. For most things, it works pretty well. One suggestion, a lot of people need to insert basic shapes like circles and rectangles in their documents. The word processor does a poor job of handling this. I have to open the draw to create a simple gradient in a rectangle and then I can't use it in the text document because I have to keep adjusting it. It's a massive waste of time. Try adding that basic functionality to the word processor.

Thanks

Re: Functionality

Johnny Rosenberg
Den sön 17 maj 2020 kl 20:14 skrev Tammy Hodges <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, thanks for the free open source product. For most things, it works
> pretty well. One suggestion, a lot of people need to insert basic shapes
> like circles and rectangles in their documents. The word processor does a
> poor job of handling this. I have to open the draw to create a simple
> gradient in a rectangle and then I can't use it in the text document
> because I have to keep adjusting it. It's a massive waste of time. Try
> adding that basic functionality to the word processor.

You are writing to a list of other users, of which most of us are unable to
do anything like that. I'll suggest you to file an enhancement request or a
bug report at their bug reporting site.
have a look here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/ProjectLevel/BugzillaQuestions/How_do_I_report_a_bug%3F

I couldn't test your problem myself, since Apache OpenOffice refused to
open at all (SIGABRT), so I just uninstalled it and that problem
disappeared… I'm not sure what happened, because I think it worked a while
ago. Never mind.
Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but just for fun I
experimented a bit with a rectangle in LibreOffice Writer, and I couldn't
fins any problems with it. Creating a gradient was easy and I could move it
around with expected results and, depending on the anchor setting, it
stayed where it was supposed to stay. I'm not sure I'm testing the right
things here, or exactly what went wrong for you, but at least the word
processor of LibreOffice seems to work as expected. Unfortunately I
couldn't test the same thing with Apache OpenOffice Writer, for the reasons
I mentioned above. Maybe Apache OpenOffice Writer just isn't the best tool
for what you do.

Anyway, as mentioned above, if it doesn't work properly in Apache
OpenOffice Writer, filing a bug report should be the next step. I didn't
use Apache OpenOffice regularly for a long time, but historically I have
had good experience filing Apache OpenOffice bug reports. I think most of
them actually got fixed, some of them rather quickly. I don't know if this
is true today, but maybe it's worth a try?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> Thanks

Re: Functionality

User-4
Hi Tammy,

Can you explain in more detail what functionality is missing? In Writer
version 4.1.7 I can create many basic shapes like circles and rectangles
and have the area of those shapes filled with a wide variety of
gradients, without resorting to the Draw module.

Try creating a basic shape, then right click on the shape and select
"/Area/" from the context (pop-up) menu that appears. In the "Area"
dialog (window) that opens you have a wide choice of "Fills" including
gradients.

For more fine grain control select the "Gradients" tab of that dialog.

Please asses how this could be substantially expanded/improved and
submit an enhancement request:
https://www.openoffice.org/qa/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Thank you
> Hi, thanks for the free open source product. For most things, it works pretty well. One suggestion, a lot of people need to insert basic shapes like circles and rectangles in their documents. The word processor does a poor job of handling this. I have to open the draw to create a simple gradient in a rectangle and then I can't use it in the text document because I have to keep adjusting it. It's a massive waste of time. Try adding that basic functionality to the word processor.
>
> Thanks

Re: Functionality

Brian Barker-2
At 18:06 17/05/2020 +0000, Tammy Hodges wrote:
>Hi, thanks for the free open source product.

That's not me, of course.

>For most things, it works pretty well.

I'm glad you agree.

>One suggestion, a lot of people need to insert basic shapes like
>circles and rectangles in their documents.

At the moment, that's just you.

>The word processor does a poor job of handling this. I have to open
>the draw to create a simple gradient in a rectangle ...

No, you don't. Go to View | Toolbars > | Drawing in your text
document to open the Drawing toolbar. With this you can do what you
need directly in a text (Writer) document.

>... and then I can't use it in the text document because I have to
>keep adjusting it.

It's not clear what you mean here. Do you mean that you wish to
adjust the graphic but do not see how to, or conversely that you find
the graphic changing in a way you do not want and consequently need
continually to adjust it? For the former, you can adjust the graphic
within the text document just as you can in a drawing (Draw) one. For
the latter, you may not have taken care with both the Wrap and Anchor
choices for your inserted graphic. Have you experimented with these?
If there is a particular problem and you care to explain it, I'm sure
someone will be able to help by showing how to avoid it with the
program as it is.

>It's a massive waste of time. Try adding that basic functionality to
>the word processor.

I could say "Try learning to use the program" - but I wouldn't be so
cheeky! Remember that any useful human endeavour requires and
benefits from time spent learning. One would waste time if one didn't
learn to use the program effectively. In particular, remember both
the built-in help text and the documentation available at the web
site. For the latter, start at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters
.

I trust this helps.