Fwd: Re: [dev] Will OOo version 3 preserve backwards file compatibility with OOo 2 ?

Fwd: Re: [dev] Will OOo version 3 preserve backwards file compatibility with OOo 2 ?

David Wilson-7
FYI

Re: Fwd: Re: [dev] Will OOo version 3 preserve backwards file compatibility with OOo 2 ?

David Wilson-7

> Subject: Re: [dev]   Will OOo version 3 preserve backwards  file
> compatibility with OOo 2 ?
> Date: Wednesday 28 June 2006 7:05 pm
> From: Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
snip
> backward compatibility is often regarded a holy cow. The ones saying
> that you never ever are allowed to break it (often representing
> commercial entities), while others saying that such a beast never
> existed (often voiced by open source protagonists), that you are always
> allowed to do whatever you want, at least on the ABI level.

Given this advice, maybe I should draft a simpler alternative proposal for
backwards  file compatibility  - that the older version of Writer would just
see the visible text of the Bibliography Entries and the Bibliography Table
but not the underlying data.

Also perhaps I should move the backwards  file  compatibility Task from stage
2 to a new stage 3. So it does not muddy the waters of bibliographic
enhancement until later ....

Comments ?

> So, my personal approach mostly is, if I do not expect to annoy to many
> people, I just break it and see what happens, otherwise I keep it.
>
> > David
>
> Sorry for not being to helpful here, I am sure Michael Brauer has more
> to say

BTW Michael Brauer's email system says he is away until the 17th July.