Fwd: Summer of Code 2006

David Wilson-7
It is time to work out if we can come up with some useful some Google Summer
of Code tasks.  We do not have much time - prospective coders can apply  1 -
May 8 .

David

Draft Summer of Code 2006 Tasks

David Wilson-7
I have written two Draft Summer of Code tasks on a Draft page (not yet on the
official task list). See them at

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SOC_Draft_tasks

Comments and suggestions are welcome

David

On Friday 21 April 2006 8:35 am, David Wilson wrote:

> It is time to work out if we can come up with some useful some Google
> Summer of Code tasks.  We do not have much time - prospective coders can
> apply  1 - May 8 .
>
> David

Re: Draft Summer of Code 2006 Tasks

Bruce D'Arcus
On 4/24/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have written two Draft Summer of Code tasks on a Draft page (not yet on the
> official task list). See them at
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SOC_Draft_tasks
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome

CPH, you there?

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that once the citation stuff
is exposed via UNO, processing citations would happen through that
interface, so there'd be no need to use OOo basic.

I also think we ought to open it up to C++ developers too, since
that'd be the ideal. Python is simply an expedient for quicker
development, and to open tthings up to more developers. But we're
unlikely tto be able to ship anything with OOo unless it's ultimately
C++.

Bruce

Re: Draft Summer of Code 2006 Tasks

CPHennessy
On Tue April 25 2006 00:35, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On 4/24/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have written two Draft Summer of Code tasks on a Draft page (not yet on
> > the official task list). See them at
> >
> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SOC_Draft_tasks
> >
> > Comments and suggestions are welcome
>
> CPH, you there?
>
> My understanding, which may be wrong, is that once the citation stuff
> is exposed via UNO, processing citations would happen through that
> interface, so there'd be no need to use OOo basic.
Correct.

> I also think we ought to open it up to C++ developers too, since
> that'd be the ideal. Python is simply an expedient for quicker
> development, and to open tthings up to more developers. But we're
> unlikely tto be able to ship anything with OOo unless it's ultimately
> C++.
Agreed.

However my time has gotten more limited as I must concentrate on paid work.
So I do not think that I will have much time to work on the bibliographic
project.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

On Apr 25, 2006, at 7:51 AM, CPHennessy wrote:

>> I also think we ought to open it up to C++ developers too, since
>> that'd be the ideal. Python is simply an expedient for quicker
>> development, and to open things up to more developers. But we're
>> unlikely to be able to ship anything with OOo unless it's ultimately
>> C++.
> Agreed.
>
> However my time has gotten more limited as I must concentrate on paid
> work.
> So I do not think that I will have much time to work on the
> bibliographic
> project.

OK, so what's your estimate of how much more work needs to be done to
finish the citation coding you started, and what level of skill is
required? Could you, for example, imagine it being a Summer of Code
project?

Any other suggestions for SOC?

In any case, we'd need someone (probably one of the Sun guys) willing
to advise a SOC participant.

Bruce

Re: Draft Summer of Code 2006 Tasks

Florian Reuter
Hi Bruce,

I would be glad to give some advice...

Best regards,

Florian

On Apr 26, 2006, at 5:19 AM, Florian Reuter wrote:

> I would be glad to give some advice...

Thanks Florian! Would that include advising a SOC participant if we
find one?

As you can see, I'm thinking it might be good to define a project that
involved finishing the work that CPH started, which would mean:

1)  creating the code to read and write the new citation coding (CPH
already got pretty far with this)
2)  exposing it though UNO

Does that seem reasonable for a student developer to do over a summer?

I assume they'd need to have fairly strong C++ skills?

Bruce

Re: Draft Summer of Code 2006 Tasks

David Wilson-7
Florian,

        Thanks for the offer of assistance. I will start drafting up a task
description on a draft wiki page -
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SOC_Draft_tasks

Please feel free to add or modify my efforts.

David