Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

David Wilson-7
The 6 successful Summer of Code applicants and their tasks have been
announced. (see message below)

There were about 20 SOC  applications for OpenOffice that where judged
suitable to mentor, two applicants were judged suitable to perform
Bibliographic project projects tasks. One of these task was for the Basic
Citation Enhancements to Writer that we really need to get do to continue
with prototyping and other development work. However Google were only funding
six applicants for OpenOffice. The 6 finalists were chosen by the project
mentors (really the list of possible mentors - the list on recipients of the
email quoted below) who were given 5 votes to allocate to their favourite
tasks.

Unfortunately neither of the two Bibliographic tasks were voted by the mentors
into the final six.  In fact the only person to vote for the bibliographic
tasks was me !

Clearly we have some work to do in promoting the Bibliographic Project within
the OpenOffice community and within the Sun OpenOffice development team.

I am working on proposals to attend the OpenOffice Conference (OOoCon 2006) in
September and if these are accepted the conference will be a good place to
promote the Bibliographic Project.

I would be happy to receive suggestions from list members on how to improve
our status and visibility within OpenOffice.

regards

David

Re: Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

Matt Price-3
Hi David,

Is there someone one might write to about the importance of this task?
 I think if the coding team understood (a) the extent to which current
bibliographic functions block adoption by academics, and (b) the
importance of educational markets in adoption of new software,
then there'd be a somewhat different valuation of priorities (e.g., a native SQLite
driver would be great, but I doubt we'll pick up a whole lot of new
users that way!).

Thanks,

Matt

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:28:38PM +1000, David Wilson wrote:

> [...]
>
> Native SQLite driver - Project
> André Klitzing     Ocke Janssen
>
> Implementation of BASIC Object Browser
> Ramon Garcia Fernandez     Andreas Bregas
>
> I will welcome the students tomorrow after they received their
> acceptance mail from Google.
> I would like introduce some guidelines covering
> - permission to publish student's name / email tied to the project
> - request for JCA, SSH-key
> - subscription to and usage of public lists
> - relevant documentation in the wiki
> - request for deliverables and schedule
> - specification
> - weekly report / blog
>
> So I will bombard them early with all the formal requirements we should
> put in place to avoid the mistakes we made last year.
>
> Greetings
> Stefan

Re: Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

Bruce D'Arcus
On 5/23/06, Matt Price <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there someone one might write to about the importance of this task?
>  I think if the coding team understood (a) the extent to which current
> bibliographic functions block adoption by academics, and (b) the
> importance of educational markets in adoption of new software,
> then there'd be a somewhat different valuation of priorities (e.g., a native SQLite
> driver would be great, but I doubt we'll pick up a whole lot of new
> users that way!).

We know who to talk to, and have.

However, you are assuming above the same thing that I once assumed:
that large corporations like Sun care about this market. I don¨t think
they do. If you were a cash-strapped corporation looking for
oppoertunities to make more cash, would you prioritize edu?

Not trying to be a downer; just to give a sense of what we are up against.

Bruce

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 09:24:48AM -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On 5/23/06, Matt Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Is there someone one might write to about the importance of this task?
> > I think if the coding team understood (a) the extent to which current
> >bibliographic functions block adoption by academics, and (b) the
> >importance of educational markets in adoption of new software,
> >then there'd be a somewhat different valuation of priorities (e.g., a
> >native SQLite
> >driver would be great, but I doubt we'll pick up a whole lot of new
> >users that way!).
>
> We know who to talk to, and have.
>
> However, you are assuming above the same thing that I once assumed:
> that large corporations like Sun care about this market. I don?t think
> they do. If you were a cash-strapped corporation looking for
> oppoertunities to make more cash, would you prioritize edu?
>
> Not trying to be a downer; just to give a sense of what we are up against.

I see your point.  I htink though that the edu market is the place
where folks learn how to use office software, and they stick with what
they know thereafter.  so if I can't in cgood conscience recommend OOo
to my students, they will take up using a pirated word, and be
MSOffice users ever after.

SO I'd like to see someone at Sun grapple with that argument.

matt

> Bruce

Re: Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

David Wilson-7
On of the issues about OOo marketing I have not fully understood is that
OpenOffice development plans are to some extent controlled by StarOffice
needs. And they seem to be focusing on business.

Maybe there is a separate StarOffice marketing arm that needs to be lobbied ?

David

On 5/24/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On of the issues about OOo marketing I have not fully understood is that
> OpenOffice development plans are to some extent controlled by StarOffice
> needs. And they seem to be focusing on business.
>
> Maybe there is a separate StarOffice marketing arm that needs to be lobbied ?

Long term, the real solution is that OOo needs to be spun off as an
independent organization a la Mozilla. I really do not think this
structure can work very much longer. Get Sun and IBM and Novell to put
up a few million (or tens of million) dollars, and there might be a
fighting chance.

I have been contemplating raising this issue with the project leads,
though no doubt this would make a lot of people unhappy.

Bruce

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 08:31:01AM -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On 5/24/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >On of the issues about OOo marketing I have not fully understood is that
> >OpenOffice development plans are to some extent controlled by StarOffice
> >needs. And they seem to be focusing on business.
> >
> >Maybe there is a separate StarOffice marketing arm that needs to be
> >lobbied ?
>
> Long term, the real solution is that OOo needs to be spun off as an
> independent organization a la Mozilla. I really do not think this
> structure can work very much longer. Get Sun and IBM and Novell to put
> up a few million (or tens of million) dollars, and there might be a
> fighting chance.
>
> I have been contemplating raising this issue with the project leads,
> though no doubt this would make a lot of people unhappy.

ok, but how about in the short-to-medium-term?

matt

> Bruce

Re: Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

CPHennessy
On Thu May 25 2006 15:54, Matt Price wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 08:31:01AM -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> > On 5/24/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >On of the issues about OOo marketing I have not fully understood is that
> > >OpenOffice development plans are to some extent controlled by StarOffice
> > >needs. And they seem to be focusing on business.
> > >
> > >Maybe there is a separate StarOffice marketing arm that needs to be
> > >lobbied ?
> >
> > Long term, the real solution is that OOo needs to be spun off as an
> > independent organization a la Mozilla. I really do not think this
> > structure can work very much longer. Get Sun and IBM and Novell to put
> > up a few million (or tens of million) dollars, and there might be a
> > fighting chance.
> >
> > I have been contemplating raising this issue with the project leads,
> > though no doubt this would make a lot of people unhappy.
>
> ok, but how about in the short-to-medium-term?

Break the tasks into short manageable specific tasks.  There tasks should be
focused not on the bibliographic end game but on the intermediate steps to
allow others to get involved also. e.g.
- read/write the most important parts of the new citation file formats
- provide a UNO interface
- provide a basic UI to edit / add / delete a citation
- provide a basic UI to edit / add / delete a citation database
- provide a basic UI to edit / apply / delete a citation style
etc

Then possibly offer bounties for the basic things.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

short-to-medium-term

David Wilson-7
On Friday 26 May 2006 10:15 am, CPHennessy wrote:

> Break the tasks into short manageable specific tasks.  There tasks should
> be focused not on the bibliographic end game but on the intermediate steps
> to allow others to get involved also. e.g.
> - read/write the most important parts of the new citation file formats
> - provide a UNO interface
> - provide a basic UI to edit / add / delete a citation
> - provide a basic UI to edit / add / delete a citation database
> - provide a basic UI to edit / apply / delete a citation style
> etc
>
> Then possibly offer bounties for the basic things.

I agree, I have these listed on the Developer wiki page. But we probably need
to add some step-by-step instructions. Otherwise it is a big task to sort out
what to do. We need to make it easier to get started.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Bibliographic_Project's_Developer_Page

Maybe we will have to set up fund for bounties. But who will contribute ?

David

Re: short-to-medium-term

Bruce D'Arcus
On 5/26/06, David Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree, I have these listed on the Developer wiki page. But we probably need
> to add some step-by-step instructions. Otherwise it is a big task to sort out
> what to do.

Yeah, I think we've started the process; just need to finish it. The
end result is that the main pages need to be really tight and clear.

> Maybe we will have to set up fund for bounties. But who will contribute ?

This is where some institutional help would be valuable, as I'm not
sure a handful of individuals contributing bits and pieces will go
very far (?). I recall that Mark Shuttleworth has done a lot of this,
and has an edu initiative (ubuntu edu), though it is aimed at
sub-university levels.

Bruce