Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

Fwd: Summer of Code : 6 Projects Above the Line

David Wilson-7
The 6 successful Summer of Code applicants and their tasks have been
announced. (see message below)

There were about 20 SOC  applications for OpenOffice that where judged
suitable to mentor, two applicants were judged suitable to perform
Bibliographic project projects tasks. One of these task was for the Basic
Citation Enhancements to Writer that we really need to get do to continue
with prototyping and other development work. However Google were only funding
six applicants for OpenOffice. The 6 finalists were chosen by the project
mentors (really the list of possible mentors - the list on recipients of the
email quoted below) who were given 5 votes to allocate to their favourite
tasks.

Unfortunately neither of the two Bibliographic tasks were voted by the mentors
into the final six.  In fact the only person to vote for the bibliographic
tasks was me !

Clearly we have some work to do in promoting the Bibliographic Project within
the OpenOffice community and within the Sun OpenOffice development team.

I am working on proposals to attend the OpenOffice Conference (OOoCon 2006) in
September and if these are accepted the conference will be a good place to
promote the Bibliographic Project.

I would be happy to receive suggestions from list members on how to improve
our status and visibility within OpenOffice.

regards

David