Quantcast

Fwd: trying to get a template from the page...

Fwd: trying to get a template from the page...

Martin Groenescheij
Hi,

When will you clean-up the templates website?

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Jorg Schmidt

> Subject: trying to get a template from the page...
> Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 23:35:28 -0500
> From: Sarah Kragness <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]

> says 'access denied'... for the cBrainpower1.3 - creative
> learning made
> easy (OpenOffice sample database)
>
> SO WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO, SINCE IT'S ON A TEMPLATE
> DOWNLOAD PAGE?????????

I find with Google immediately the homepage of "cBrainPower 1.3":
http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/english-downloads.html

Jörg

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Mathias Röllig

> I find with Google immediately the homepage of "cBrainPower 1.3":
> http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/english-downloads.html

Yes, but for the whole users it doesn't help and it declares not why
“Access denied” for ALL templates. And that 2 month after Martin asked
on this list …

http://templates.services.openoffice.org/

Regards, Mathias

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

toki
On 02/20/2017 11:10 AM, Mathias Röllig wrote:

> “Access denied” for ALL templates.

Is there an obligation on the part of anybody, to explain why templates,
and extensions are not accessible?

>And that 2 month after Martin asked on this list

DuckDuckGo implies that the first time I answered a question about that
specific template was in October 2016.  My impression is that it was
much earlier than that.

http://openoffice.2283327.n4.nabble.com/AOO-Templates-td4683853.html

jonathon

Re: Fwd: trying to get a template from the page...

toki
On 02/20/2017 05:46 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> When will you clean-up the templates website?

Were I to cleanup either the template or extension site, I'd eliminate
at least two thirds of them.

jonathon

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Peter Kovacs
I have no issues, too.
Maybe a Firewall is blocking the page?

Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo., 20. Feb. 2017, 08:03:

> > Subject:      trying to get a template from the page...
> > Date:         Sun, 19 Feb 2017 23:35:28 -0500
> > From:         Sarah Kragness <[hidden email]>
> > To:   [hidden email]
>
> > says 'access denied'... for the cBrainpower1.3 - creative
> > learning made
> > easy (OpenOffice sample database)
> >
> > SO WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO, SINCE IT'S ON A TEMPLATE
> > DOWNLOAD PAGE?????????
>
> I find with Google immediately the homepage of "cBrainPower 1.3":
> http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/english-downloads.html
>

> Jörg

Disclaimer: Diese Nachricht stammt aus einem Google Account. Ihre Antwort
wird in der Google Cloud Gespeichert und durch Google Algorythmen zwecks
werbeanaöysen gescannt. Es ist derzeit nicht auszuschließen das ihre
Nachricht auch durch einen NSA Mitarbeiter geprüft wird. Durch
kommunikation mit diesen Account stimmen Sie zu das ihre Mail, ihre
Kontaktdaten und die Termine die Sie mit mir vereinbaren online zu Google
konditionen in der Googlecloud gespeichert wird. Sollten sie dies nicht
wünschen kontaktieren sie mich bitte Umgehend um z.B. alternativen zu
verhandeln.

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Mathias Röllig
> I have no issues, too.
> Maybe a Firewall is blocking the page?

Please go to
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
and say, which templates you can download.

Thank you!

Regards, Mathias

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Mathias Röllig
>> I have no issues, too.
>> Maybe a Firewall is blocking the page?
>
> Please go to
> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
> and say, which templates you can download.

Is there a copyright or licensing issue for some templates?
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/cd-jewel-case-front-insert-template-2
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/cbrainpower-13-creativ-learning-made
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/dvd-case-insert-template-a4-14mm-dvd
[…]

What's about empty entries?
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/gold-frame
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/invoice-1-1
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/yamb-game-form-1
[…]

Is anybody working on this site?
By the way: It looks good!
But what good is it if there is nothing to download?

Regards, Mathias

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Jorg Schmidt

This is meant as a joke? On the site are more than 15,000 templates (2 seconds per template for testing require more than 8 hours).

Ok, I can give 5 examples of downloadable templates:
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/business-letter-1
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/business-letter-2
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/business-trip-budget
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/simple-loan-calculator
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/diploma-ref-01

(And there are also templates which can not be downloaded. No idea how many.)

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Peter Kovacs
IMHO Matthias Röllig just volunteered to start fixing the page. Maybe Sarah
Kragness and Martin Groenescheij would also step up if they were asked if
they help and we promise some help them to get up and running.

I honestly think the more upset people complain, the more we should take it
as a expression to volunteer to improve the situation. Even if they only
fix 10 templates it is 10 templates fixed.

Just my 2 cents.

verhandeln.

> IMHO Matthias Röllig just volunteered to start fixing the
> page. Maybe Sarah
> Kragness and Martin Groenescheij would also step up if they
> were asked if
> they help and we promise some help them to get up and running.
>
> I honestly think the more upset people complain, the more we
> should take it
> as a expression to volunteer to improve the situation. Even
> if they only
> fix 10 templates it is 10 templates fixed.

I do not understand why the templates can not be accessed directly at Sourceforge (see tab "Files" on page https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/) but always a redirect to http://templates.services.openoffice.org/.
If the templates were accessible via the "Files" tab, the templates would be easier to check.

Greetings,
Jörg

On 02/20/2017 07:08 PM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

>> Please go to
>> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
>> and say, which templates you can download.
>
> This is meant as a joke?

Regardless, what would be useful, would be a review of each of those
templates.

>On the site are more than 15,000 templates (2 seconds per template for
testing require more than 8 hours).

Assuming I know how to use the template, it takes me ten minutes to
download and test a single template.

If I don't know how to use a template, then testing can take far longer.

> Ok, I can give 5 examples of downloadable templates:

IOW, all the templates that are displayed on the template page, when one
first lands there.

My guess is that of the templates, roughly:
* 1% are on "Access Denied", pages;
* 5% have no downloadable content;
* 20% are not what they purport to be;
* 2% are in desperate need of additional documentation on how to
correctly use them;

jonathon

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Jorg Schmidt

> From: toki [mailto:[hidden email]]

> >> Please go to
> >> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
> >> and say, which templates you can download.
> >
> > This is meant as a joke?
>
> Regardless, what would be useful, would be a review of each of those
> templates.

No, because it is unrealistic to want to control 15,000 templates.
Similarly, I do not think it is a normal way, because the originals should be checked and kept up-to-date by their authors.

The discussion also points in the wrong direction, because there are _technical_ problems with the templates website. These problems must be eliminated and not the templates themselves should be checked.

(OK, even the templates themselves have to be checked, but this is a permanent process and this should be done by the authors of the templates.)

Jörg

On 02/21/2017 05:18 AM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> I do not understand why the templates can not be accessed directly at Sourceforge

They can be, but getting there is extremely tricky.

I quit doing so, because I usually ended up with the wrong template.

jonathon

On 02/24/2017 08:58 AM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

>> Regardless, what would be useful, would be a review of each of those templates.

> No, because it is unrealistic to want to control 15,000 templates.

I was thinking of review, in terms of writing a review of the template,
the same way that one writes a review of a film, or a book.

However, a review of a submitted template, to ensure that it meets
specific criteria, would be more useful.

Even little things, like it being in an ODF file format, would be a good
starting point. (Do you want to explain why a file format used by Lotus
Approach is offered as an AOo template?)

> because the originals should be checked and kept up-to-date by their authors.

In as much as at least 10% of the templates never functioned correctly
with AOo in the first place, expecting them to be kept up to date,
appears to be placing an expectation upon the authors that they are
utterly unable to meet.

jonathon