Fwd: want to become a member

g pranavi
Hi All,

I want to contribute for your open source.

Thanks and Regards,
Pranavi Gubbala

Re: want to become a member

FR web forum

Welcome to Apache OpenOffice. We appreciate all contributions.

You should probably start by checking the source code out of SVN and
getting it to compile:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

There is some documentation on how Calc works on
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Calc

Feel free to post any questions to this list.

> I want to contribute for your open source.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Pranavi Gubbala

Re: Fwd: want to become a member

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi Pranavi Gubbala,

you can contribut by contributing.

What do you want to do? What skills do you have?

All the best

Peter

On 05.04.2018 10:46, g pranavi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to contribute for your open source.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Pranavi Gubbala

Re: Fwd: want to become a member

Peter Kovacs-3
Fwd: to recipient who is maybe not on list.

Pressed wrong button.

On 19.04.2018 21:23, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Hi Pranavi Gubbala,
>
> you can contribut by contributing.
>
> What do you want to do? What skills do you have?
>

> All the best
>
> Peter
>

> On 05.04.2018 10:46, g pranavi wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I want to contribute for your open source.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Pranavi Gubbala

Bad news regarding future Java use?

Pedro Lino-3
Hi all

I just updated Java 8 and got a notification saying

"You have successfully installed Java.
Important Information about Oracle Java SE Roadmap:
Changes are coming which will impact your access to future releases of
Java SE from Oracle. Corporate users will be impacted as soon as
January 2019. For additional guidance please follow the link below
More information on roadmap"

https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

If I understand the notice correctly this will not be a problem for personal use at home but all OpenOffice features requiring Java can not be used within a company unless the company buys a Java license...

I hope I misunderstood the message :(

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Phillip Rhodes
I read that as only referring to the Java 8 SE binaries specifically.
If I'm reading this right, users using a Java 9 or Java 10 SDK will
still be fine.  That just means we have an onus on us to make sure
things work with the latest versions of the SDK.

Phil

This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I just updated Java 8 and got a notification saying
>
> "You have successfully installed Java.
> Important Information about Oracle Java SE Roadmap:
> Changes are coming which will impact your access to future releases of
> Java SE from Oracle. Corporate users will be impacted as soon as
> January 2019. For additional guidance please follow the link below
> More information on roadmap"
>
> https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp
>
> If I understand the notice correctly this will not be a problem for personal use at home but all OpenOffice features requiring Java can not be used within a company unless the company buys a Java license...
>
> I hope I misunderstood the message :(
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Peter Kovacs-2
It sounds quite confusing. I think it refers to the point that java 8 will drop out of support 2020.

Damjan is already get our code Java 9 ready. So 4.2.0 will have Java 9 support.

Am 20. April 2018 17:55:24 MESZ schrieb Phillip Rhodes <[hidden email]>:

>I read that as only referring to the Java 8 SE binaries specifically.
>If I'm reading this right, users using a Java 9 or Java 10 SDK will
>still be fine.  That just means we have an onus on us to make sure
>things work with the latest versions of the SDK.
>

>Phil
>
>This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM
>

>On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Pedro Lino <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I just updated Java 8 and got a notification saying
>>
>> "You have successfully installed Java.
>> Important Information about Oracle Java SE Roadmap:
>> Changes are coming which will impact your access to future releases
>of
>> Java SE from Oracle. Corporate users will be impacted as soon as
>> January 2019. For additional guidance please follow the link below
>> More information on roadmap"
>>
>> https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp
>>
>> If I understand the notice correctly this will not be a problem for
>personal use at home but all OpenOffice features requiring Java can not
>be used within a company unless the company buys a Java license...
>>
>> I hope I misunderstood the message :(
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pedro

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Pedro Lino-3

> It sounds quite confusing. I think it refers to the point that java 8 will drop out of support 2020.
>
> Damjan is already get our code Java 9 ready. So 4.2.0 will have Java 9 support.

According to this page
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Java 9 is already dead for Public use (in fact earlier than Java 8!) and even Java 10 will be only last until September when Java 11 LTS is launched...

So actually keeping Java 8 seems like a good option :)

> Am 20. April 2018 17:55:24 MESZ schrieb Phillip Rhodes <[hidden email]>:
> >I read that as only referring to the Java 8 SE binaries specifically.
> >If I'm reading this right, users using a Java 9 or Java 10 SDK will
> >still be fine.  That just means we have an onus on us to make sure
> >things work with the latest versions of the SDK.
> >

> >Phil
> >
> >This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM
> >

> >On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Pedro Lino <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I just updated Java 8 and got a notification saying
> >>
> >> "You have successfully installed Java.
> >> Important Information about Oracle Java SE Roadmap:
> >> Changes are coming which will impact your access to future releases
> >of
> >> Java SE from Oracle. Corporate users will be impacted as soon as
> >> January 2019. For additional guidance please follow the link below
> >> More information on roadmap"
> >>
> >> https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp
> >>
> >> If I understand the notice correctly this will not be a problem for
> >personal use at home but all OpenOffice features requiring Java can not
> >be used within a company unless the company buys a Java license...
> >>
> >> I hope I misunderstood the message :(
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Pedro

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Fernando Cassia
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 11:27 AM Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> If I understand the notice correctly this will not be a problem for
> personal use at home but all OpenOffice features requiring Java can not be
> used within a company unless the company buys a Java license...
>
> I hope I misunderstood the message :(
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

People reading something, jumping to conclusions, and freaking out. Move
along, nothing to see here...

Facts: there are OpenJDK builds for Windows, Linux, Mac and even Linux ARM
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html

Plus, this
https://twitter.com/OpenJDK/status/957987021271822337?s=20

FC

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

jonathon-3
On 04/20/2018 07:06 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> People reading something, jumping to conclusions, and freaking out. Move along, nothing to see here...

Given the Appeals Court ruling of 2018-03-27, corporations have reason
to be extremely cautious about their use of JAVA.

Not just JAVA, but since Oracle has a history of suing its customers,
their customers will be the first to pay the danegeld that that ruling
inflicts upon all and sundry.

jonathon