GPLv3

Louis Suárez-Potts-3
please respond on [hidden email]

Hi *,

I'm here at MIT in Boston representing OOo at the GPLv3 meeting and
I'd like for the NLC leads and developers on [hidden email] to
tell me what you are interested in.  Yes, OOo uses LGPL but that's
not at issue here.  Let me know on the dev@ooo list what is important
to your communities and to you regarding the GPL and what changes
should be made to make it better.

The summit lasts until Tuesday of this week but the discussion period
will be fairly long afterward.  The issues that I am interested in
are coincidentally the obvious ones:

* patents
* internationalization

Other issues include services, DRM, and better compatibility with non-
free licenses.

Best,

Louis

Re: GPLv3

Christian Lohmaier-2
Hi Louis, *,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:14:21AM -0500, Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> please respond on [hidden email]
> [...]
> Let me know on the dev@ooo list what is important
> to your communities and to you regarding the GPL and what changes
> should be made to make it better.

Since GPL is not used for software only, the term of "based on" should be
defined with non-software stuff in mind as well.

E.g. having a wordlist as GPL - and my program reads-in that list
(requires the list for some operations) -- does this make my program
"based on" the list/data? Is that "infectuous"? I hope you get the
idea..

ciao
Christian
--
NP: Metallica - Fuel

Re: GPLv3

Louis Suárez-Potts-3
Hi,

On 2006-01-16, at 18:24 , Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi Louis, *,
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:14:21AM -0500, Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
>> please respond on [hidden email]
>> [...]
>> Let me know on the dev@ooo list what is important
>> to your communities and to you regarding the GPL and what changes
>> should be made to make it better.
>
> Since GPL is not used for software only, the term of "based on"
> should be
> defined with non-software stuff in mind as well.
>
> E.g. having a wordlist as GPL - and my program reads-in that list
> (requires the list for some operations) -- does this make my program
> "based on" the list/data? Is that "infectuous"? I hope you get the
> idea..

I do. Thanks. I'll raise it with the FSF.

FWIW, see Simon Phipps' notes on Eben Moglen's lecture on v3 : http://
www.webmink.net/

Today was mainly procedural. Tomorrow issues of GPL in global frame
and other points will be raised.  There will also be numerous other
meetings throughout the world following this initial one.

> ciao
> Christian
> --
> NP: Metallica - Fuel

ciao

Louis

Re: [native-lang] GPLv3

Kazunari Hirano
Hi Louis,
> The summit lasts until Tuesday of this week but the discussion period
> will be fairly long afterward.  The issues that I am interested in
> are coincidentally the obvious ones:
>
> * patents
> * internationalization
Can you tell us more about what you mean by "You are interested in
'internationalization'?
I am interested in possible ways to make translated GPL (in various
languages) be legally valid document.
Thanks,
khirano

Re: Re: [native-lang] GPLv3

Louis Suárez-Potts-3
hi

On 2006-01-17, at 18:26 , Kazunari Hirano wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>> The summit lasts until Tuesday of this week but the discussion period
>> will be fairly long afterward.  The issues that I am interested in
>> are coincidentally the obvious ones:
>>
>> * patents
>> * internationalization
> Can you tell us more about what you mean by "You are interested in
> 'internationalization'?
> I am interested in possible ways to make translated GPL (in various
> languages) be legally valid document.
> Thanks,
> khirano

Over the next year or so there will be a series of meetings
throughout the world whose purpose will be to bring in commentary and
discussions from free software groups.  WRT the issue of
internationalization, in the context of the license it means using
language that makes it easier to be translated and understood. I
would hope, too, that it uses language that reflects the interests of
groups outside the rather narrow North American/European band.

best
Louis