GSOC Idea

Rajath Shashidhara
Hello,

I would like to participate in gsoc 2013. I browsed through your ideas
page. The idea : Extension wizard to import table to database interested
me. I am an experienced python and java coder. I'm familiar with C and C++
as well. I have developed a lot of gui based applications using PyQt4 and
SQLite modules for python. I am also into coding android applications.
Since I'm comfortable with both java and python, I can code this extension
in any of the two languages. I found a few useful modules that can be used
for coding this extension :
python - excel module to read .xls and .xlsx files
csv module to read .csv file.
SQLite - for .db files.

I'm wouldn't find it difficult to read the documentation of these modules
and start coding right away. I'm very interested in this project. Please
give me more suggestions and I would like to actively participate in the
discussion
--
Rajath S,
M.Sc(Hons.) Physics,
Birla Institute of Technology and Science - Pilani,
Pilani

Re: GSOC Idea

Alexandro Colorado-4
Hello Rajath, we have a Developer guide which explains the document
model and some of the architecture of the application to help yourself
search throught the maze of documentation.
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Database/Database_Access

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: GSOC Idea

Rajath Shashidhara
Hello,

I would like to get acquainted to OpenOffice development before gsoc.
Please suggest me a bug to solve or a feature  to implement.

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Rajath, we have a Developer guide which explains the document
> model and some of the architecture of the application to help yourself
> search throught the maze of documentation.
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Database/Database_Access
>

> On 4/13/13, Rajath Shashidhara <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to participate in gsoc 2013. I browsed through your ideas
> > page. The idea : Extension wizard to import table to database interested
> > me. I am an experienced python and java coder. I'm familiar with C and
> C++
> > as well. I have developed a lot of gui based applications using PyQt4 and
> > SQLite modules for python. I am also into coding android applications.
> > Since I'm comfortable with both java and python, I can code this
> extension
> > in any of the two languages. I found a few useful modules that can be
> used
> > for coding this extension :
> > python - excel module to read .xls and .xlsx files
> > csv module to read .csv file.
> > SQLite - for .db files.
> >
> > I'm wouldn't find it difficult to read the documentation of these modules
> > and start coding right away. I'm very interested in this project. Please
> > give me more suggestions and I would like to actively participate in the
> > discussion
> > --
> > Rajath S,
> > M.Sc(Hons.) Physics,
> > B.E.(Hons.) (First Year)
> > Birla Institute of Technology and Science - Pilani,
> > Pilani
> >

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> Apache OpenOffice Contributor
> http://es.openoffice.org

Rajath S,
M.Sc(Hons.) Physics,
Birla Institute of Technology and Science - Pilani,
Pilani

Re: GSOC Idea

Rob Weir
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Rajath Shashidhara <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to get acquainted to OpenOffice development before gsoc.
> Please suggest me a bug to solve or a feature  to implement.

Hi Rajath,

A good place to start is our new volunteer orientation pages:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/

There is a lot of background info there, but the core one for you is this
page on development:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html

Getting a build environment working is a non-trivial task, so it would be
good to start on that early.

That same page has a link to some "easy tasks" in our Bugzilla issue
tracker.  Any of those would be a good place to start.

Regards,

-Rob