GUI

Bruce D'Arcus
OK, am just looking again through the details of the existing GUI,
seeing if we can get by with minimal changes that might have a big
impact on functionality. So, random thoughts:

1)  I think maybe we need our own "citation" entry in the "insert"
menu (and maybe in "tools"?).

2)  The insert citation GUI is a problem, as has been noted many
times. I think the most basic change that is essential is a search
field (pop-ups don't work if you have 2,000 entries, though
interestingly, MS is making the same mistake), though ideally we'd
redo this as a table similar to MS's Research Pane.

3)  The function to "update all indexes" ought to have an option for
continuous update, or break off our stuff with its own config option
for this

4)  I find the indexes and tables GUI really awkward, but if we had
to keep it, probably the simplest solution is to just rip out all the
manual configuration stuff and have a simple CSL style selector.

Aside: this isn't to suggest that I wouldn't prefer a full CSL
editing GUI, but that it would take significantly enhancing the
existing GUI. In particular, we'd need:

   -  templates to be able to have hierarchy (prefixes and suffixes
belong to the field)
   -  configuration for substitution

One option, then, would just be to remove it for the medium term, and
add it back in later?

That's all for now.

I do prefer how MS configures bibliographies, BTW. They have a
citation section of their reference ribbon section. Inserting a
bibliography simply involves choosing from a previewed option list on
the ribbon. An OOo equivalent, then, would be a tools --> citation
menu, and then options like:

        style (choose "APA", "Chicago", etc.)
        bibliography (choose "None", "References", "Works Cited",
"Bibliography", etc.)

One weakness of this approach, though, is it probably makes it more
difficult to do things like per-chapter vs. global bibliographies (?).

Anyway, anybody have any opinions? What would be the minimum we'd
need to make us happy? Do I have it right above?

Bruce

Re: GUI

David Wilson-7
On Sunday 23 July 2006 11:58 am, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> OK, am just looking again through the details of the existing GUI,
> seeing if we can get by with minimal changes that might have a big
> impact on functionality. So, random thoughts:
>
> 1)  I think maybe we need our own "citation" entry in the "insert"
> menu (and maybe in "tools"?).
Or perhaps the citations settings added as a tab to the Tools->footnotes...
panel and rename it 'footnotes & citations...' as they are can be related
when footnote citations are uses.
(The "..." seems to indicate a settings panel)

> 2)  The insert citation GUI is a problem, as has been noted many
> times. I think the most basic change that is essential is a search
> field (pop-ups don't work if you have 2,000 entries, though
> interestingly, MS is making the same mistake), though ideally we'd
> redo this as a table similar to MS's Research Pane.
>
> 3)  The function to "update all indexes" ought to have an option for
> continuous update, or break off our stuff with its own config option
> for this

Yes.
This option was probably not put in earlier because it would slow down the
application, but I would think modern PC's would have not problem with this.
The user can decide not to use if she wishes.

> 4)  I find the indexes and tables GUI really awkward, but if we had
> to keep it, probably the simplest solution is to just rip out all the
> manual configuration stuff and have a simple CSL style selector.
>
> Aside: this isn't to suggest that I wouldn't prefer a full CSL
> editing GUI, but that it would take significantly enhancing the
> existing GUI. In particular, we'd need:
>
>    -  templates to be able to have hierarchy (prefixes and suffixes
> belong to the field)
>    -  configuration for substitution
>
> One option, then, would just be to remove it for the medium term, and
> add it back in later?
yes

> That's all for now.
>
> I do prefer how MS configures bibliographies, BTW. They have a
> citation section of their reference ribbon section. Inserting a
> bibliography simply involves choosing from a previewed option list on
> the ribbon. An OOo equivalent, then, would be a tools --> citation
> menu, and then options like:
>
> style (choose "APA", "Chicago", etc.)
> bibliography (choose "None", "References", "Works Cited",
> "Bibliography", etc.)
>
> One weakness of this approach, though, is it probably makes it more
> difficult to do things like per-chapter vs. global bibliographies (?).

The current Insert-->Indexes and Tables-->Indexes and tables... does NOT have
a per chapter / per document option, even through most of the other tables
and indexes do have this option.

If we work on the principle that OOo Writer should be able to produce what we
see in books, and collections of papers or essays do have per-chapter
bibliographies then we should have this option as well.

In a related area I have made some suggestions about improving the options for
user selectable placement of of footnotes and endnotes.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer_enhancements_for_OOBib#User_selectable_footnote_and_endnote_location

> Anyway, anybody have any opinions? What would be the minimum we'd
> need to make us happy? Do I have it right above?

Yes, although I like to suggest more and more features, we need to pick the
minimal usable set to start with. Success should help us get the support to
build more.
> Bruce

David

Re: GUI

David Wilson-7
I have produced my suggested  list of the minimal Bibliographic features.

Document/Page Options Panel
-----------------------------------

* Select document citation / bibliography style selects from available
CiteProc style sheets. [picklist]

(Ideally this should be in the Format-->Page... panel with its own tab panel,
 but for convenience could be initially placed on the Basic Bibliographic Data
 Entry Panel until that can be done.)

Citation Insertion Panel
---------------------------

* Display selected references    [combo-box]
* Select/Add reference [button – calls Reference Search/Pick Panel]
* Remove reference      [button – delete highlighted reference from list]
* Enter Prefix [textbox]
* Enter Suffix [textbox]
* Select locator type
    (pages, line numbers, chapter-verse etc.)               [Pick list]
* Enter locator value [textbox]
* Suppress Brackets around In-Text citation.               [tick-box]
* Exclude Author [tick-box]
* Exclude year [tick-box]
* OK & Cancel buttons.

Reference Search/Pick Panel (for citation insertion)

* Select data source (file, eXist DB, etc.) [textbox for URL ?]
* Display available references (a table similar to MS's Research Pane) with
    select tick-boxes on the reference list.
* OK & Cancel buttons.

Insert Bibliography Table Panel
* Protect from manual changes.          [tick-box]
* OK & Cancel buttons.

There are ways in which the Citation Insertion Panel could be simplified.
Using tabs for Basic and Extra options. Or using a More /Less Options button
to reveal or hide an expanded options panel.

David