Gone astray

Pat

Gone astray

Pat
The discussion seems to have gone astray.  The choosing of, or arriving at,
a particular default dictionary was, I think, the original point.  The
comments, while interesting and somewhat illuminating, show our digression.

Language is a means of transmitting the thoughts of one to the
understanding of another and as such is fraught with danger of being
mistaken.  In order to do so, words with mutually understood meaning are
placed in a particular agreed upon order.

Most simply put, this couples definition and syntax.  Spelling is rarely an
obstacle to understanding, albeit misspelling can be a major distraction in
the written communication.   Only when meanings are confused should we take
offense.  We have enough built in difficulties and curiosities as it
is.  Pan as a Spanish word and as a Japanese word are strikingly similar
when referring to bread, but less so when referring to a cooking container.

As to "America" referring to The United Stated of America, it is merely
verbal shorthand and not a slight to other countries.  Don't forget that
each of the 50 states is just that, a state, each having its own
constitution, Chief Executive, and legislature.  In joining together, the
states relegated certain of their rights to a central government. e.g.
printing of money, governance of trade, and national defense.

Throughout the world nations are rarely referred to by their formal title,
e.g., Brazil, The Federal Republic of Brazil which by the way has 26 states.

Any means by which we are better able to communicate is useful and valuable.

Respectfully,
Pat

Re: Gone astray

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2011/01/30 5:07 PM  Pat wrote:
> The discussion seems to have gone astray.  The choosing of, or arriving at, a particular
> default dictionary was, I think, the original point.  The comments, while interesting and
> somewhat illuminating, show our digression.

The discussion started about the availability of an UK English version which has all the menus,
dialogues boxes, help files, etc. written with UK English spelling, not about dictionaries.

The US English version already comes with UK, Canadian, Australian, and South African dictionaries.

There is an English-UK version of OOo 3.3.0 rc10. It has not yet passed the quality assurance
process to become the official final release.

Larry
--
Larry I. Gusaas