Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Kay Schenk-2
I'm assuming most of you know that Google+ is going away April 2. 2019.
I am one of the moderators for the AOO group. Here is information I just
received. I know MANY are disappointed by this decision, and we need to
discuss what to do with the current AOO information.

*You've received this email because you have a consumer (personal)
Google+ account or you manage a Google+ page.*

In December 2018, we announced
<https://blog.google/technology/safety-security/expediting-changes-google-plus>
our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019 due to low
usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that
meets consumers' expectations. We want to thank you for being part of
Google+ and provide next steps, including how to download your photos
and other content.

*On April 2nd, your Google+ account and any Google+ pages you created
will be shut down and we will begin deleting content from consumer
Google+ accounts*. Photos and videos from Google+ in your Album Archive
and your Google+ pages will also be deleted. You can download and save
<https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1045788> your content, just make
sure to do so before April. Note that photos and videos backed up in
Google Photos will not be deleted.

The process of deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts, Google+
Pages, and Album Archive will take a few months, and content may remain
through this time. For example, users may still see parts of their
Google+ account via activity log and some consumer Google+ content may
remain visible to G Suite users until consumer Google+ is deleted.

*As early as February 4th, you will no longer be able to create new
Google+ profiles, pages, communities or events.*

See the full FAQ <https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9217723> for
more details and updates leading up to the shutdown.

*If you're a Google+ Community owner or moderator*, you may download and
save <https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1045788> your data for your
Google+ Community. Starting early March 2019, additional data will be
available for download, including author, body, and photos for every
community post in a public community. Learn more
<https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1045788#communities>

*If you sign in to sites and apps using the Google+ Sign-in button*,
these buttons will stop working in the coming weeks but in some cases
may be replaced by a Google Sign-in button. You'll still be able to sign
in with your Google Account wherever you see Google Sign-in buttons.
Learn more <https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9217723#signin>

*If you've used Google+ for comments on your own or other sites*, this
feature will be removed from Blogger by February 4th and other sites by
March 7th. All your Google+ comments on all sites will be deleted
starting April 2, 2019. Learn more
<https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9217723#blogger>

*If you're a G Suite customer*, Google+ for your G Suite account should
remain active. Contact your G Suite administrator
<https://support.google.com/a/answer/6208960> for more details. You can
also expect a new look and new features soon. Learn more
<https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/g-suite/new-enterprise-grade-features-in-googleplus-help-businesses-drive-collaboration>

*If you're a developer* using Google+ APIs or Google+ Sign-in, click
here <https://developers.google.com/+/api-shutdown> to see how this will
impact you.

 From all of us on the Google+ team, thank you for making Google+ such a
special place. We are grateful for the talented group of artists,
community builders, and thought leaders who made Google+ their home. It
would not have been the same without your passion and dedication.

Google LLC 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update
you about important changes to your Google+ Page, product or account.

MzK

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Keith N. McKenna
On 2/2/2019 1:00 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> I'm assuming most of you know that Google+ is going away April 2. 2019.
> I am one of the moderators for the AOO group. Here is information I just
> received. I know MANY are disappointed by this decision, and we need to
> discuss what to do with the current AOO information.

Hi Kay;

Yes we should definitely make an archive of Google+ pages, just not sure
where the best place for them to be stored would be.

Regards
Keith

On 2/2/19 11:07 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:

> On 2/2/2019 1:00 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> I'm assuming most of you know that Google+ is going away April 2. 2019.
>> I am one of the moderators for the AOO group. Here is information I just
>> received. I know MANY are disappointed by this decision, and we need to
>> discuss what to do with the current AOO information.
>>
> Hi Kay;
>
> Yes we should definitely make an archive of Google+ pages, just not sure
> where the best place for them to be stored would be.
>
> Regards
> Keith

I'm looking into HOW to get the data from G+. It might be nice (somehow)
to import the G+ postings into FB, but the participant info wouldn't
sync that's for sure. I'll do a dump from G+ soon and see what the
feeds/post look like.

On 2/4/2019 6:58 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 2/2/19 11:07 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> On 2/2/2019 1:00 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> I'm assuming most of you know that Google+ is going away April 2. 2019.
>>> I am one of the moderators for the AOO group. Here is information I just
>>> received. I know MANY are disappointed by this decision, and we need to
>>> discuss what to do with the current AOO information.
>>>
>> Hi Kay;
>>
>> Yes we should definitely make an archive of Google+ pages, just not sure
>> where the best place for them to be stored would be.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith
>>

> I'm looking into HOW to get the data from G+. It might be nice (somehow)
> to import the G+ postings into FB, but the participant info wouldn't
> sync that's for sure. I'll do a dump from G+ soon and see what the
> feeds/post look like.
> MzK
Sounds good.

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Matthias Seidel
Hi Kay, Hi Keith,

Am 05.02.19 um 00:58 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 2/2/19 11:07 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> On 2/2/2019 1:00 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> I'm assuming most of you know that Google+ is going away April 2. 2019.
>>> I am one of the moderators for the AOO group. Here is information I
>>> just
>>> received. I know MANY are disappointed by this decision, and we need to
>>> discuss what to do with the current AOO information.
>>>
>> Hi Kay;
>>
>> Yes we should definitely make an archive of Google+ pages, just not sure
>> where the best place for them to be stored would be.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith
>>

> I'm looking into HOW to get the data from G+. It might be nice
> (somehow) to import the G+ postings into FB, but the participant info
> wouldn't sync that's for sure. I'll do a dump from G+ soon and see
> what the feeds/post look like.
You may already have found the way to archive Google+ content:
https://takeout.google.com/

It took Google about one week to provide my zip file.

I am also wondering about our YouTube channel. It is linked to the
Google+ brand account, so I have administrative rights. But since I am
not the owner I can not add another administrator/moderator.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

On 2/24/19 12:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Kay, Hi Keith,
>
> Am 05.02.19 um 00:58 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>>>
>>> Hi Kay;
>>>
>>> Yes we should definitely make an archive of Google+ pages, just not sure
>>> where the best place for them to be stored would be.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Keith
>>>
>> I'm looking into HOW to get the data from G+. It might be nice
>> (somehow) to import the G+ postings into FB, but the participant info
>> wouldn't sync that's for sure. I'll do a dump from G+ soon and see
>> what the feeds/post look like.
OK. That would be great. I don't do much programming of late. We MAY be
able to use one of their APIs (not investigated yet!) to do SOMETHING.
> You may already have found the way to archive Google+ content:
> https://takeout.google.com/

Yes, I have seen this. I've done nothing yet. I should get to doing an
archive this week sometime.

> It took Google about one week to provide my zip file.

GEE WHIZ! That's kind of unbelievable.

> I am also wondering about our YouTube channel. It is linked to the
> Google+ brand account, so I have administrative rights. But since I am
> not the owner I can not add another administrator/moderator.

YouTube is NOT being affected as far as I know.

> Regards,
>
>     Matthias
Thanks for looking into this.

Am 25.02.19 um 00:24 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 2/24/19 12:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Kay, Hi Keith,

>>> I'm looking into HOW to get the data from G+. It might be nice
>>> (somehow) to import the G+ postings into FB, but the participant info
>>> wouldn't sync that's for sure. I'll do a dump from G+ soon and see
>>> what the feeds/post look like.
> OK. That would be great. I don't do much programming of late. We MAY
> be able to use one of their APIs (not investigated yet!) to do SOMETHING.
>> You may already have found the way to archive Google+ content:
>> https://takeout.google.com/
>
> Yes, I have seen this. I've done nothing yet. I should get to doing an
> archive this week sometime.
>

>> It took Google about one week to provide my zip file.
>
> GEE WHIZ! That's kind of unbelievable.
>

>> I am also wondering about our YouTube channel. It is linked to the
>> Google+ brand account, so I have administrative rights. But since I am
>> not the owner I can not add another administrator/moderator.
>
> YouTube is NOT being affected as far as I know.
YouTube itself is not affected. But the right management is linked with
Googles brand accounts.
And "our" brand account is owned by Ariel Constenla-Haile.

So I will still be able to administrate our Channel but I can't do
anything beyond that.
And I will be the only one who has access.

Regards,

   Matthias

>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
> Thanks for looking into this.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Kay Schenk-2
On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 15:41 Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Kay,
>
> Am 25.02.19 um 00:24 schrieb Kay Schenk:
> >
> > On 2/24/19 12:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> >> Hi Kay, Hi Keith,

> > OK. That would be great. I don't do much programming of late. We MAY
> > be able to use one of their APIs (not investigated yet!) to do SOMETHING.
> >> You may already have found the way to archive Google+ content:
> >> https://takeout.google.com/
> >
> > Yes, I have seen this. I've done nothing yet. I should get to doing an
> > archive this week sometime.
> >

> >> It took Google about one week to provide my zip file.
> >
> > GEE WHIZ! That's kind of unbelievable.
> >

> >> I am also wondering about our YouTube channel. It is linked to the
> >> Google+ brand account, so I have administrative rights. But since I am
> >> not the owner I can not add another administrator/moderator.
> >
> > YouTube is NOT being affected as far as I know.
>
> YouTube itself is not affected. But the right management is linked with
> Googles brand accounts.
> And "our" brand account is owned by Ariel Constenla-Haile.
>
> So I will still be able to administrate our Channel but I can't do
> anything beyond that.
> And I will be the only one who has access.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

Got it.

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >>     Matthias
> > Thanks for looking into this.

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Peter Kovacs-3
Does it make sense to contact google to try to regain control over the
account?

On 25.02.19 01:27, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 15:41 Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kay,

>>> OK. That would be great. I don't do much programming of late. We MAY
>>> be able to use one of their APIs (not investigated yet!) to do SOMETHING.
>>> Yes, I have seen this. I've done nothing yet. I should get to doing an
>>> archive this week sometime.

>>> GEE WHIZ! That's kind of unbelievable.

>>> YouTube is NOT being affected as far as I know.
>> YouTube itself is not affected. But the right management is linked with
>> Googles brand accounts.
>> And "our" brand account is owned by Ariel Constenla-Haile.
>>
>> So I will still be able to administrate our Channel but I can't do
>> anything beyond that.
>> And I will be the only one who has access.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
> Got it.

>>> Thanks for looking into this.

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Kay Schenk-2

On 2/24/19 12:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Kay, Hi Keith,
>
> Am 05.02.19 um 00:58 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>>>
>>> Hi Kay;
>>>
>>> Yes we should definitely make an archive of Google+ pages, just not sure
>>> where the best place for them to be stored would be.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Keith
>>>
>> I'm looking into HOW to get the data from G+. It might be nice
>> (somehow) to import the G+ postings into FB, but the participant info
>> wouldn't sync that's for sure. I'll do a dump from G+ soon and see
>> what the feeds/post look like.
> You may already have found the way to archive Google+ content:
> https://takeout.google.com/
>
> It took Google about one week to provide my zip file.
>
> I am also wondering about our YouTube channel. It is linked to the
> Google+ brand account, so I have administrative rights. But since I am
> not the owner I can not add another administrator/moderator.
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias

A short update. I just "downloaded" the set from Apache OpenOffice G+.
It didn't take very long. I actually used the instructions from:

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1045788

All the posts are there but...the urls generated reference
"plus.google.com" which is useless since that's the service going away.
So, I will look around to see what else I can find. Oy! Maybe we can
find the G+ stylesheets somewhere.

"Less is more."
----------------
MzK

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

Am 26.02.19 um 06:45 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Does it make sense to contact google to try to regain control over the
> account?

I am happy to say, that I got the primary ownership for our Apache
OpenOffice brand account from Ariel.
With Google+ going away, we should now get some content in our YouTube
channel (271 subscriber).

@Kay: I would like to add you as administrator...

Regards,

   Matthias

> On 25.02.19 01:27, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 15:41 Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kay,

>>> YouTube itself is not affected. But the right management is linked with
>>> Googles brand accounts.
>>> And "our" brand account is owned by Ariel Constenla-Haile.
>>>
>>> So I will still be able to administrate our Channel but I can't do
>>> anything beyond that.
>>> And I will be the only one who has access.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias
>>>
>> Got it.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Peter Kovacs-3
+1 from my side. I think this is awesome development!

Am 26.02.19 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 2/24/19 12:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Kay, Hi Keith,

I just found this:

https://techaeris.com/2019/02/15/the-mewe-social-network-made-a-tool-to-import-your-google-data-to-their-platform/

Regards

   Matthias

>>> I'm looking into HOW to get the data from G+. It might be nice
>>> (somehow) to import the G+ postings into FB, but the participant info
>>> wouldn't sync that's for sure. I'll do a dump from G+ soon and see
>>> what the feeds/post look like.
>> You may already have found the way to archive Google+ content:
>> https://takeout.google.com/
>>
>> It took Google about one week to provide my zip file.
>>
>> I am also wondering about our YouTube channel. It is linked to the
>> Google+ brand account, so I have administrative rights. But since I am
>> not the owner I can not add another administrator/moderator.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>
> A short update. I just "downloaded" the set from Apache OpenOffice G+.
> It didn't take very long. I actually used the instructions from:
>
> https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1045788
>
> All the posts are there but...the urls generated reference
> "plus.google.com" which is useless since that's the service going
> away. So, I will look around to see what else I can find. Oy! Maybe we
> can find the G+ stylesheets somewhere.
>

> "Less is more."
> ----------------
> MzK

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Kay Schenk-2
Hi. Is MeWe a social platform we want to explore? I'm assuming we'd need to
have an account. I'm fairly certain I can figure out how to "show" the AOO
posts on a Web site but that would be the end of the line.

I have NOT investigated how to upload them to the Forum. That's already a
conversational vehicle.
Hoping to get back to all this this week.

_______________________
Sent from MzK's phone.

Am 19.03.19 um 01:48 schrieb Kay Schenk:
> Hi. Is MeWe a social platform we want to explore? I'm assuming we'd need to
> have an account. I'm fairly certain I can figure out how to "show" the AOO
> posts on a Web site but that would be the end of the line.

It would just be another platform...

I'd rather see that Facebook and Twitter are properly maintained.

Regards,

   Matthias

> I have NOT investigated how to upload them to the Forum. That's already a
> conversational vehicle.
> Hoping to get back to all this this week.
>

> _______________________
> Sent from MzK's phone.
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019, 17:18 Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kay,

>> I just found this:
>>

>> https://techaeris.com/2019/02/15/the-mewe-social-network-made-a-tool-to-import-your-google-data-to-their-platform/
>>
>> Regards
>>
>>    Matthias

>>> A short update. I just "downloaded" the set from Apache OpenOffice G+.
>>> It didn't take very long. I actually used the instructions from:
>>>
>>> https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1045788
>>>
>>> All the posts are there but...the urls generated reference
>>> "plus.google.com" which is useless since that's the service going
>>> away. So, I will look around to see what else I can find. Oy! Maybe we
>>> can find the G+ stylesheets somewhere.
>>>

>>> "Less is more."
>>> ----------------
>>> MzK

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Google+ going away on April 2, 2019

Kay Schenk-2
+1 to this Matthias. Ok, the archive I just created seems to be in a LOT
more usable form than the earlier one I did a few weeks ago. I will try
to just generate a LARGE html file to put somewhere.

"Less is more."
MzK