Grammar checker for Spanish

Kepa R.
Hallo,
I would like to help in the development of a free
grammar checker for Spanish. Are there more people
working on that?
Best
Kepa

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Carlos Menezes
Yes, CoGrOO is being ported to Spanish and English rigth now!

cogroo.sourceforge.net

Regards,

Carlos Menezes
CoGrOO Team

On Nov 11, 2007 10:08 AM, Kepa R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo,
> I would like to help in the development of a free
> grammar checker for Spanish. Are there more people
> working on that?
> Best
> Kepa

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Mathias Bauer
Kepa R. wrote:

> Hallo,
> I would like to help in the development of a free
> grammar checker for Spanish. Are there more people
> working on that?

OOo currently does not support a smooth integration of Grammar Checking.
We are changing this for OOo3.0 and we already have define a new API for
Grammar Checkers. In case you are interested in integrating a Grammar
Checker into OOo we could provide you with this API so that you can see
what is to do.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Marcin Miłkowski

there is some preliminary support for Spanish in LanguageTool
(www.languagetool.org). You can contact me for any details.

Regards,
Marcin

Kepa R. pisze:

> Hallo,
> I would like to help in the development of a free
> grammar checker for Spanish. Are there more people
> working on that?
> Best
> Kepa

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Kevin Scannell-2
On Nov 12, 2007 1:43 AM, Mathias Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kepa R. wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> > I would like to help in the development of a free
> > grammar checker for Spanish. Are there more people
> > working on that?
>
> OOo currently does not support a smooth integration of Grammar Checking.
> We are changing this for OOo3.0 and we already have define a new API for
> Grammar Checkers. In case you are interested in integrating a Grammar
> Checker into OOo we could provide you with this API so that you can see
> what is to do.

Is this API published somewhere?   I've been a little out-of-touch
with the lingucomponent list.
Kevin

Kevin Scannell wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007 1:43 AM, Mathias Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Kepa R. wrote:
>>
>> > Hallo,
>> > I would like to help in the development of a free
>> > grammar checker for Spanish. Are there more people
>> > working on that?
>>
>> OOo currently does not support a smooth integration of Grammar Checking.
>> We are changing this for OOo3.0 and we already have define a new API for
>> Grammar Checkers. In case you are interested in integrating a Grammar
>> Checker into OOo we could provide you with this API so that you can see
>> what is to do.
>>

> Is this API published somewhere?   I've been a little out-of-touch
> with the lingucomponent list.

This API still waits for its first implementation, before that it will
be only "published" but not "published". ;-)

Sorry for the pun, it means: it will be publicly visible but it will not
get the UNO keyword "published" as then it can't be changed easily
anymore and our experience told us that you must implemented and use an
API at least once before you should somehow freeze it.

So in case you are interested to give this API a try Thomas Lange can
provide you with more information.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Lars Aronsson
Mathias Bauer wrote:

> So in case you are interested to give this API a try Thomas Lange can
> provide you with more information.

I'm not sure what "give the API a try" means.  I'm not really into
OOo development, but I'm trying to help/coordinate efforts to
create free dictionaries for spelling and thesaurus in
Scandinavian languages, so I'd be interested in knowing what sort
of grammar resources we can provide for this to work.

As far as I know, there is yet no free Swedish grammar available.
We do have a spelling dictionary, and work on a thesaurus started
only recently.

How can I create a minimal grammar?  Is there an independent
command-line program (similar to the hunspell program for spell
checking) that can be used for testing the grammar?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

R.J. Baars
Lars,

Please check www.languagetool.org. Lots of info on how to get started
out there.
No programming needed too, just the will to enter 'rules' in xml.

There is a separate mailing list for that tool too.

Have fun.

Ruud (working on Dutch)

Lars Aronsson pisze:

> How can I create a minimal grammar?  Is there an independent
> command-line program (similar to the hunspell program for spell
> checking) that can be used for testing the grammar?

There is no built-in grammar checker in OOo. You can reuse one of the
grammar-checking extensions. I don't know how difficult it is to start
with grammar checking in CoGrOOo, but in LT, all it takes for starters,
is to run LanguageTool and edit one XML file. Then you can add more
items to it.

The easiest path for LT:

For the XML file, download the rules.css and rules.dtd from here:

http://languagetool.cvs.sourceforge.net/languagetool/JLanguageTool/src/rules/

And use XML Mind Edit (free edition) to create the file in a
subdirectory. I advise you to start with looking at existing English
file and demo file.

The created file can be loaded in LT and tested online.

Start LT as Java Web Start:

http://www.languagetool.org/webstart/LanguageTool.jnlp

And use File > Load Rule File.

There is more explanation of the xml format here:

http://www.languagetool.org/development/

All in all, starting this development process shouldn't take more than
20 minutes. Of course, if you want more options, like part of speech
tagging and Java rules, you'd need to work much more.

Regards,
Marcin

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Carlos Menezes
Lars,

To write rules that detect syntactic mistakes you'll need to port CoGrOO to
Swedish language.
What resources do you need?

-A morpho-syntactic annotated corpus;
-A Java programmer to adapt some pieces of code;
-A linguist to write down rules of common mistakes.

We are porting CoGrOO to English and Spanish rigth now we'll be glad of
advising you to port it to your language!
Regards,

Carlos Menezes

On Nov 17, 2007 9:30 AM, Marcin Miłkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lars Aronsson pisze:
> >
> > How can I create a minimal grammar?  Is there an independent
> > command-line program (similar to the hunspell program for spell
> > checking) that can be used for testing the grammar?
>

> There is no built-in grammar checker in OOo. You can reuse one of the
> grammar-checking extensions. I don't know how difficult it is to start
> with grammar checking in CoGrOOo, but in LT, all it takes for starters,
> is to run LanguageTool and edit one XML file. Then you can add more
> items to it.
>
> The easiest path for LT:
>
> For the XML file, download the rules.css and rules.dtd from here:
>

> http://languagetool.cvs.sourceforge.net/languagetool/JLanguageTool/src/rules/
>
> And use XML Mind Edit (free edition) to create the file in a
> subdirectory. I advise you to start with looking at existing English
> file and demo file.
>
> The created file can be loaded in LT and tested online.
>
> Start LT as Java Web Start:
>
> http://www.languagetool.org/webstart/LanguageTool.jnlp
>
> And use File > Load Rule File.
>
> There is more explanation of the xml format here:
>
> http://www.languagetool.org/development/
>
> All in all, starting this development process shouldn't take more than
> 20 minutes. Of course, if you want more options, like part of speech
> tagging and Java rules, you'd need to work much more.
>
> Regards,
> Marcin

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

ge-7

If the rules check position of word types in the sentence
(e.g. verb, noun, adj, adv, ...), then besides the rules
also a dicionary is necessary containing the word type
for each word.

To set up such a dictionary is not trivial.

-eleonora

ge pisze:
> If the rules check position of word types in the sentence
> (e.g. verb, noun, adj, adv, ...), then besides the rules
> also a dicionary is necessary containing the word type
> for each word.
>
> To set up such a dictionary is not trivial.

True, but Lars was asking only about starting the process. It's obvious
it's not trivial, otherwise we'd already have perfect grammar checkers
for all OOo languages.

Anyway, I think it's not rocket science anymore.

Best regards,
Marcin

> On Saturday 17 November 2007 07:55, r.baars wrote:
>> Lars,
>>
>> Please check www.languagetool.org. Lots of info on how to get started
>> out there.
>> No programming needed too, just the will to enter 'rules' in xml.
>>
>> There is a separate mailing list for that tool too.
>>
>> Have fun.
>>
>> Ruud (working on Dutch)
>>
>> Lars Aronsson schreef:
>>> I'm not sure what "give the API a try" means.  I'm not really into
>>> OOo development, but I'm trying to help/coordinate efforts to
>>> create free dictionaries for spelling and thesaurus in
>>> Scandinavian languages, so I'd be interested in knowing what sort
>>> of grammar resources we can provide for this to work.
>>>
>>> As far as I know, there is yet no free Swedish grammar available.
>>> We do have a spelling dictionary, and work on a thesaurus started
>>> only recently.
>>>
>>> How can I create a minimal grammar?  Is there an independent
>>> command-line program (similar to the hunspell program for spell
>>> checking) that can be used for testing the grammar?

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Mathias Bauer
Hi Carlos,

CARLOS EDUARDO DANTAS DE MENEZES wrote:

> Lars,
>
> To write rules that detect syntactic mistakes you'll need to port CoGrOO to
> Swedish language.
> What resources do you need?
>
> -A morpho-syntactic annotated corpus;
> -A Java programmer to adapt some pieces of code;
> -A linguist to write down rules of common mistakes.
>
> We are porting CoGrOO to English and Spanish rigth now we'll be glad of
> advising you to port it to your language!

What about adapting CoGrOOo to our new API (it will be simple, promised
;-)) so that it integrates better into OOo, including background
checking in a separate thread etc.?

Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Mathias Bauer wrote:
>
>> So in case you are interested to give this API a try Thomas Lange can
>> provide you with more information.
>
> I'm not sure what "give the API a try" means.  I'm not really into
> OOo development, but I'm trying to help/coordinate efforts to
> create free dictionaries for spelling and thesaurus in
> Scandinavian languages, so I'd be interested in knowing what sort
> of grammar resources we can provide for this to work.
"give the API a try" of course was a hint to developers. My impression
from his mail was that Kepa R. is one.

If you want to work on a "non-code" level the Language Tool is what you
are looking for as Marcin pointed out. At least until no other adaptable
Proof Reading tools are available.

I call it a "Proof reading tool" as the Language Tool at the same time
does less than some well known Grammar Checkers but OTOH does also more.
It can check text against any rules, not only Grammar, but of course it
lacks the more sophisticated abilities of specialized Grammar Checkers
that have been in development for many years.

Mathias Bauer pisze:
> I call it a "Proof reading tool" as the Language Tool at the same time
> does less than some well known Grammar Checkers but OTOH does also more.

I like this term. This way it's more clear to the users what they can
expect (and they can expect it from most so-called grammar checkers, IMHO).

> It can check text against any rules, not only Grammar, but of course it
> lacks the more sophisticated abilities of specialized Grammar Checkers
> that have been in development for many years.

It depends on the language you're talking about. The only commercial
grammar checker for Polish has 7 general rules, whereas LanguageTool has
currently about 700, including 6 of those general ones. (The number of
rules is of course only a rough way of comparing proof reading tools but
it's hard to evaluate without generally accessible and comprehensive
error corpora).

Anyway, we're willing to switch to the new GC API as soon as it's available.

Best regards,
Marcin

Marcin Miłkowski wrote:

> Mathias Bauer pisze:
>> I call it a "Proof reading tool" as the Language Tool at the same time
>> does less than some well known Grammar Checkers but OTOH does also more.
>
> I like this term. This way it's more clear to the users what they can
> expect (and they can expect it from most so-called grammar checkers, IMHO).
>
>> It can check text against any rules, not only Grammar, but of course it
>> lacks the more sophisticated abilities of specialized Grammar Checkers
>> that have been in development for many years.
>
> It depends on the language you're talking about. The only commercial
> grammar checker for Polish has 7 general rules, whereas LanguageTool has
> currently about 700, including 6 of those general ones. (The number of
> rules is of course only a rough way of comparing proof reading tools but
> it's hard to evaluate without generally accessible and comprehensive
> error corpora).
>
> Anyway, we're willing to switch to the new GC API as soon as it's available.

That's great! I think that having Language Tool integrated into
background proof reading would be a big improvement. And the community
aspect - being able to improve the tool without being a C++ expert and
the lower barrier to entry - is also very appealing.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Re: Grammar checker for Spanish

Jonathon Blake
On Nov 19, 2007 9:02 AM, Marcin  wrote:

> > I call it a "Proof reading tool" as the Language Tool at the same time
> I like this term. This way it's more clear to the users what they can expect

+1

Would it be possible for the OOO UI label to be "Proof reading tools",
rather than "Grammar Checking tools"?

In the corporate environment, style checking, to enforce specific
rules is as important at grammar checking  Since the GC API can be
used for a plug in style checker, I would expect to see "stand alone"
style checkers being made available shortly after the GC API is part
of OOo.

"Stand alone" style checkers does not preclude rule sets for either
LanguageTool, or
Au Gramadóir  being used for style checking instead of grammar
checking. (Rephrased, either Au Gramadóir or Language Tool might be
used exclusively for style checking.)

xan

jonathon

jonathon wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2007 9:02 AM, Marcin  wrote:
>
>> > I call it a "Proof reading tool" as the Language Tool at the same time
>> I like this term. This way it's more clear to the users what they can expect
>
> +1
>
> Would it be possible for the OOO UI label to be "Proof reading tools",
> rather than "Grammar Checking tools"?

I was also thinking about that; it will be a question of marketing.
People know what a Grammar Checker is but maybe they say "WTF is a proof
 reading tool"? That's where developers find their limits. ;-)

Mathias Bauer pisze:

> jonathon wrote:

>>> I like this term. This way it's more clear to the users what they can expect
>> +1
>>
>> Would it be possible for the OOO UI label to be "Proof reading tools",
>> rather than "Grammar Checking tools"?
>
> I was also thinking about that; it will be a question of marketing.
> People know what a Grammar Checker is but maybe they say "WTF is a proof
>  reading tool"? That's where developers find their limits. ;-)

It's also highly dependent on translations for NLC projects - I had to
think quite long to find a suitable equivalent in Polish ("Narzędzia
korektorskie"). In some languages, "proof reading" and "spell checking"
could be translated very similarly.

Best,
Marcin