Grammar checking: how to add vendor logo?

Grammar checking: how to add vendor logo?

Michel Weimerskirch
Hi

according to the release notes of OOo3.0.1RC1
(http://development.openoffice.org/releases/3.0.1rc1.html) it is now
possible to add a vendor logo to the grammar checking dialog. However,
I was not able to find out how to do this. Could anybody point me to
the right documents? I suppose I need to add a snippet to one of the
XML files...?

Regards,
Michel

Re: Grammar checking: how to add vendor logo?

thomas.lange

Hi there all grammar-checking / proofreader implementors,  :-)

Michel Weimerskirch wrote:

> Hi
>
> according to the release notes of OOo3.0.1RC1
> (http://development.openoffice.org/releases/3.0.1rc1.html) it is now
> possible to add a vendor logo to the grammar checking dialog. However,
> I was not able to find out how to do this. Could anybody point me to
> the right documents? I suppose I need to add a snippet to one of the
> XML files...?
>
> Regards,
> Michel

Adding a vendor logo to the dialog is rather easy done by making some
additional entries to the Linguistic.xcu.
It may look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<oor:component-data oor:name="Linguistic"
oor:package="org.openoffice.Office"
xmlns:oor="http://openoffice.org/2001/registry"

    <node oor:name="Images">
        <node oor:name="ServiceNameEntries">
            <node oor:name="MY_PROOFREADER_IMPLNAME" oor:op="fuse">
                <prop oor:name="VendorImagesNode" oor:type="xs:string">
                    <value>MY_PROOFREADER_IMPLNAME.Images</value>
                </prop>
            </node>
        </node>
        <node oor:name="VendorImages">
            <node oor:name="MY_PROOFREADER_IMPLNAME.Images" oor:op="fuse">
                <prop oor:name="SpellAndGrammarDialogImage"
oor:type="xs:string">
                    <value>%origin%/../../../../../images/dialog.png</value>
                </prop>
                <prop oor:name="SpellAndGrammarDialogImage_HC"
oor:type="xs:string">

<value>%origin%/../../../../../images/dialog_hc.png</value>
                </prop>
            </node>
        </node>
    </node>

</oor:component-data>

Of course the node name "MY_PROOFREADER_IMPLNAME.Images" must be unique
  as well.

The placeholder "%origin%" refers to the path of the xcu in your
extension where you add those lines AFTER that extension got installed!

The second image is of course the high-contrast version and must be
provided as well.
The defaults for both images can be found in the default_images project
and are
- default_images\svx\res\vendor01.png
- default_images\svx\res\vendor01h.png

You should keep the same sizes for your images. The extra width is
needed because depending on language and OS (or user settings!) the
width of the dialog may vary!
This also implies that you can not easily add graphics to the right of
the dialog and be sure that those will NOT get truncated or even
invisible. Thus any specifics you want to get displayed should not move
to far to the right in that image.

Note: Since your extension may probably be used along with other
OpenSource proofreaders for OOo and WILL be used with OOo's Hunspell
spellchecker, the image in the dialog may constantly change depending on
the language or if the spellchecker or proofreader was called.

To avoid irritating "dia-show" like effects in that dialog when
different logos get displayed I humbly like to ask that you consider to
make use of the default images and only modify those to some extend.
E.g. by adding something like "LanguageTool" or "CoGrOO" or some extra
graphics.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Grammar checking: how to add vendor logo?

Michel Weimerskirch
Hi

> Adding a vendor logo to the dialog is rather easy done by making some
> additional entries to the Linguistic.xcu.
It works. Thank you.

> To avoid irritating "dia-show" like effects in that dialog when
> different logos get displayed I humbly like to ask that you consider to
> make use of the default images and only modify those to some extend.
I see your point, but I think there might be licensing issues. As the
images are set under the LGPLv3, the modified images will also have to
be put under the LGPL (or, optionally, the GPL). So adding a logo will
require that logo to be put under the same license, won't it? Please
correct me if I'm wrong...

Regards,
Michel

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the dialog and be sure that those will NOT get truncated or even
> invisible. Thus any specifics you want to get displayed should not move
> to far to the right in that image.
>

> Note: Since your extension may probably be used along with other
> OpenSource proofreaders for OOo and WILL be used with OOo's Hunspell
> spellchecker, the image in the dialog may constantly change depending on
> the language or if the spellchecker or proofreader was called.
>
> To avoid irritating "dia-show" like effects in that dialog when
> different logos get displayed I humbly like to ask that you consider to
> make use of the default images and only modify those to some extend.
> E.g. by adding something like "LanguageTool" or "CoGrOO" or some extra
> graphics.
>

> Regards,
> Thomas

Re: Grammar checking: how to add vendor logo?

Hi Michel and Michael,

Michel Weimerskirch wrote:

> Hi
>
>> Adding a vendor logo to the dialog is rather easy done by making some
>> additional entries to the Linguistic.xcu.
> It works. Thank you.
>
>> To avoid irritating "dia-show" like effects in that dialog when
>> different logos get displayed I humbly like to ask that you consider to
>> make use of the default images and only modify those to some extend.
> I see your point, but I think there might be licensing issues. As the
> images are set under the LGPLv3, the modified images will also have to
> be put under the LGPL (or, optionally, the GPL). So adding a logo will
> require that logo to be put under the same license, won't it? Please
> correct me if I'm wrong...
>
> Regards,
> Michel

If there is a potential problem with a license I'm at a loss. ^^°
As far as I know Martin is our expert for such issues.

@Martin: Can you comment on this?

Thomas

> [...]
>> to far to the right in that image.
>>

>> Note: Since your extension may probably be used along with other
>> OpenSource proofreaders for OOo and WILL be used with OOo's Hunspell
>> spellchecker, the image in the dialog may constantly change depending on
>> the language or if the spellchecker or proofreader was called.
>>
>> To avoid irritating "dia-show" like effects in that dialog when
>> different logos get displayed I humbly like to ask that you consider to
>> make use of the default images and only modify those to some extend.
>> E.g. by adding something like "LanguageTool" or "CoGrOO" or some extra
>> graphics.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Thomas

Re: Grammar checking: how to add vendor logo?

Michel Weimerskirch
Hi

> If there is a potential problem with a license I'm at a loss. ^^°
Well, I might be totally wrong ^^ but that's why I ask. Let's say I
add the logo of my project (Spellchecker.lu) to the default
proofreader banner, shipped with OOo. Because of the LGPL, wouldn't I
have to release my logo under the LGPL as well? I'd like to keep all
the rights on my logo, so I think I won't be able to modify the
default proofreader banner. But as I said, I might be totally wrong,
I'm far from being a license expert. Maybe someone on the list is :-)

Regards,
Michel