HP LaserJet question

doug
I have an HP LaserJet 2200dn, networked with 3 computers--one normally
running Windows 7 and two normally running PCLOS. From Linux, when
I send it something to print, sometimes--not always--the busy light will
start to flash, and then it may print a couple hours, or a day later, or
never. Other times it will print right away. Does anyone
reading here know of a way to "tickle" it to make it print what it's
sitting on? (Other times, it prints right away.)
(There is no HP support--the printer is over 5 years old, so HP
has disowned it.)

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

Re: HP LaserJet question

Girvin R. Herr
Doug,
I just had a similar thing happen to my HP Laserjet 4050tn.  It was very
slow getting the pages out.  I was using the CUPS Postscript driver and
isolated the problem to the printer.  Cups showed the document sent and
completed as far as it was concerned, but the printer LED was still
flashing and after 30 minutes, still had not printed even the first
page.  I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP
PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of
clicking on Print.
All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers
are networked.

I may note that this problem started when I upgraded to Slack 14.0 with
the new 3.x kernel.  It may be that the newer Postscript causes the
older Postscript engines in the relatively old HP printers to hang up.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr

On 09/06/2013 04:16 PM, Doug wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet 2200dn, networked with 3 computers--one normally
> running Windows 7 and two normally running PCLOS. From Linux, when
> I send it something to print, sometimes--not always--the busy light will
> start to flash, and then it may print a couple hours, or a day later, or
> never. Other times it will print right away. Does anyone
> reading here know of a way to "tickle" it to make it print what it's
> sitting on? (Other times, it prints right away.)
> (There is no HP support--the printer is over 5 years old, so HP
> has disowned it.)
>
> --doug

Re: HP LaserJet question

Julian Thomas

On 6Sep  2013, at 10:12 PM, Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of clicking on Print.
> All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers are networked.

Could this be an issue with the size of the printer memory?

--
[hidden email]   http://jt-mj.net
Switching is a science, radio is an art. Grounding is Black Magic.

Re: HP LaserJet question

doug
On 09/06/2013 10:46 PM, Julian Thomas wrote:

> On 6Sep  2013, at 10:12 PM, Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of clicking on Print.
>> All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers are networked.
>
> Could this be an issue with the size of the printer memory?
>
> --
> [hidden email]   http://jt-mj.net
> Switching is a science, radio is an art. Grounding is Black Magic.

I have 64+ MB in this printer--it's full. 64 MB in two DIMM slots, and 8
GB built in--72 MB, total. Available memory comes up 65.85 MB. Unless
you think that's the problem?

--doug (WA2SAY)

On 09/06/2013 10:12 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:

> Doug,
> I just had a similar thing happen to my HP Laserjet 4050tn.  It was very
> slow getting the pages out.  I was using the CUPS Postscript driver and
> isolated the problem to the printer.  Cups showed the document sent and
> completed as far as it was concerned, but the printer LED was still
> flashing and after 30 minutes, still had not printed even the first
> page.  I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP
> PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of
> clicking on Print.
> All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers
> are networked.
>
> I may note that this problem started when I upgraded to Slack 14.0 with
> the new 3.x kernel.  It may be that the newer Postscript causes the
> older Postscript engines in the relatively old HP printers to hang up.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Girvin Herr

/snip original message/

I just made the change. I'll have to see how that works. Thanx!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

Re: HP LaserJet question

Athanasios E. Samaras
I bet it's working, Had the same issues with another HP model;)

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/06/2013 10:12 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
> > Doug,
> > I just had a similar thing happen to my HP Laserjet 4050tn.  It was very
> > slow getting the pages out.  I was using the CUPS Postscript driver and
> > isolated the problem to the printer.  Cups showed the document sent and
> > completed as far as it was concerned, but the printer LED was still
> > flashing and after 30 minutes, still had not printed even the first
> > page.  I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP
> > PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of
> > clicking on Print.
> > All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers
> > are networked.
> >
> > I may note that this problem started when I upgraded to Slack 14.0 with
> > the new 3.x kernel.  It may be that the newer Postscript causes the
> > older Postscript engines in the relatively old HP printers to hang up.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Girvin Herr
> >

> /snip original message/
>
> I just made the change. I'll have to see how that works. Thanx!
>
> --doug
>

> --
> Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
> --A.M.Greeley

Re: HP LaserJet question

Joost Andrae-2
Hi Doug,

I've an idea what happened to you: Maybe reducing the complexity of
graphical objects on the printed output may help you.
Go to menu item /tools/options/OpenOffice/printing
and activate both checkboxes to reduce transparency and gradients within
the printed output. Perhaps that's it because postscript cannot reduce
such content on it's own and the input data on the printer can become
very very large.

Am 07.09.2013 01:16, schrieb Doug:
> I have an HP LaserJet 2200dn, networked with 3 computers--one normally
> running Windows 7 and two normally running PCLOS. From Linux, when
> I send it something to print, sometimes--not always--the busy light will
> start to flash, and then it may print a couple hours, or a day later, or
> never. Other times it will print right away. Does anyone
> reading here know of a way to "tickle" it to make it print what it's
> sitting on? (Other times, it prints right away.)
> (There is no HP support--the printer is over 5 years old, so HP
> has disowned it.)

Kind regards, Joost

Re: HP LaserJet question

doug
On 09/07/2013 09:20 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> I've an idea what happened to you: Maybe reducing the complexity of
> graphical objects on the printed output may help you.
> Go to menu item /tools/options/OpenOffice/printing
> and activate both checkboxes to reduce transparency and gradients within
> the printed output. Perhaps that's it because postscript cannot reduce
> such content on it's own and the input data on the printer can become
> very very large.

The problem has not been specific to OO or any word processor--it seems
to occur randomly. I have changed the driver, as per another post, and I
am waiting to see what happens.  Thnx for the input.  --doug

> Am 07.09.2013 01:16, schrieb Doug:
>> I have an HP LaserJet 2200dn, networked with 3 computers--one normally
>> running Windows 7 and two normally running PCLOS. From Linux, when
>> I send it something to print, sometimes--not always--the busy light will
>> start to flash, and then it may print a couple hours, or a day later, or
>> never. Other times it will print right away. Does anyone
>> reading here know of a way to "tickle" it to make it print what it's
>> sitting on? (Other times, it prints right away.)
>> (There is no HP support--the printer is over 5 years old, so HP
>> has disowned it.)
>
> Kind regards, Joost

Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

Re: HP LaserJet question

Gary Aitken
On 09/07/13 08:43, Doug wrote:

> On 09/07/2013 09:20 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> I've an idea what happened to you: Maybe reducing the complexity of
>> graphical objects on the printed output may help you.
>> Go to menu item /tools/options/OpenOffice/printing
>> and activate both checkboxes to reduce transparency and gradients within
>> the printed output. Perhaps that's it because postscript cannot reduce
>> such content on it's own and the input data on the printer can become
>> very very large.
>
> The problem has not been specific to OO or any word processor--it seems
> to occur randomly. I have changed the driver, as per another post, and I
> am waiting to see what happens.  Thnx for the input.  --doug

As I recall from a long time ago, PostScript uses reverse polish notation,
and you cannot begin printing anything until the entire document has been
received -- there's a "showpage" command at the very end that starts the
PostScript interpretation.  Up until that point, an element could appear
which changes the result.  If you print one page at a time you will see the
difference.  Not that that is a solution, but it might help explain what
you're seeing.  Even if a document is broken up into pages, the whole thing
could be scaled at the very end.

Gary

>> Am 07.09.2013 01:16, schrieb Doug:
>>> I have an HP LaserJet 2200dn, networked with 3 computers--one normally
>>> running Windows 7 and two normally running PCLOS. From Linux, when
>>> I send it something to print, sometimes--not always--the busy light will
>>> start to flash, and then it may print a couple hours, or a day later, or
>>> never. Other times it will print right away. Does anyone
>>> reading here know of a way to "tickle" it to make it print what it's
>>> sitting on? (Other times, it prints right away.)
>>> (There is no HP support--the printer is over 5 years old, so HP
>>> has disowned it.)

Re: HP LaserJet question

Klaus Muth

Am 07.09.2013 19:09, schrieb Gary Aitken:

> As I recall from a long time ago, PostScript uses reverse polish notation,
> and you cannot begin printing anything until the entire document has been
> received -- there's a "showpage" command at the very end that starts the
> PostScript interpretation.  Up until that point, an element could appear
> which changes the result.  If you print one page at a time you will see the
> difference.  Not that that is a solution, but it might help explain what
> you're seeing.  Even if a document is broken up into pages, the whole thing
> could be scaled at the very end.

Nope. showpage is used to print every single page - after showpage the
transformation matrix is reset. So you can scale the whole page at the very
end of the page, but you can't scale anything of the page before.

So you can't print anything, before the whole page is done, but this is done
page by page.

klaus

Re: HP LaserJet question

Mattoon Sara
I think you sent this to the wrong person.
Best,
Sara

On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:47 AM, Klaus Muth wrote:

Am 07.09.2013 19:09, schrieb Gary Aitken:

> As I recall from a long time ago, PostScript uses reverse polish notation,
> and you cannot begin printing anything until the entire document has been
> received -- there's a "showpage" command at the very end that starts the
> PostScript interpretation.  Up until that point, an element could appear
> which changes the result.  If you print one page at a time you will see the
> difference.  Not that that is a solution, but it might help explain what
> you're seeing.  Even if a document is broken up into pages, the whole thing
> could be scaled at the very end.

Nope. showpage is used to print every single page - after showpage the
transformation matrix is reset. So you can scale the whole page at the very
end of the page, but you can't scale anything of the page before.

So you can't print anything, before the whole page is done, but this is done
page by page.

klaus

Re: HP LaserJet question

doug
On 09/06/2013 10:12 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:

> Doug,
> I just had a similar thing happen to my HP Laserjet 4050tn.  It was very
> slow getting the pages out.  I was using the CUPS Postscript driver and
> isolated the problem to the printer.  Cups showed the document sent and
> completed as far as it was concerned, but the printer LED was still
> flashing and after 30 minutes, still had not printed even the first
> page.  I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP
> PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of
> clicking on Print.
> All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers
> are networked.

/snip/

The change from Postscript to the PCL3 driver was successful. By now
I have printed quite a few things on the LaserJet, and everything
started to print within about four flashes of the light.
THANK YOU for the assistance!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

RE: HP LaserJet question

birgitte nielsen
I think that this mail is sent to the wrong person

> Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 03:04:11 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: HP LaserJet question
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 09/06/2013 10:12 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
> > Doug,
> > I just had a similar thing happen to my HP Laserjet 4050tn.  It was very
> > slow getting the pages out.  I was using the CUPS Postscript driver and
> > isolated the problem to the printer.  Cups showed the document sent and
> > completed as far as it was concerned, but the printer LED was still
> > flashing and after 30 minutes, still had not printed even the first
> > page.  I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP
> > PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of
> > clicking on Print.
> > All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers
> > are networked.
>
> /snip/
>
> The change from Postscript to the PCL3 driver was successful. By now
> I have printed quite a few things on the LaserJet, and everything
> started to print within about four flashes of the light.
> THANK YOU for the assistance!
>
> --doug
>
> --
> Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
> --A.M.Greeley

Re: HP LaserJet question

doug
On 09/06/2013 10:12 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
> Doug,
> I just had a similar thing happen to my HP Laserjet 4050tn.  It was very
> slow getting the pages out.  I was using the CUPS Postscript driver and
> isolated the problem to the printer.  Cups showed the document sent and
> completed as far as it was concerned, but the printer LED was still
> flashing and after 30 minutes, still had not printed even the first
> page.  I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP
> PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of
> clicking on Print.

/snip/

> On 09/06/2013 04:16 PM, Doug wrote:
>> I have an HP LaserJet 2200dn, networked with 3 computers--one normally
>> running Windows 7 and two normally running PCLOS. From Linux, when
>> I send it something to print, sometimes--not always--the busy light will
>> start to flash, and then it may print a couple hours, or a day later, or
>> never. Other times it will print right away. Does anyone
>> reading here know of a way to "tickle" it to make it print what it's
>> sitting on? (Other times, it prints right away.)
/snip/

Well now I have a couple of weeks experience with the suggestion.
That was the cure, my friend. Changed the driver to HP PCL3 and the
printer prints within 4 or 5 flashes of the ready light, all the time.
Thank you!

--doug