Happy birthday OpenOffice

Jörg Schmidt-2
Happy birthday OpenOffice,

October 13th is the 20th anniversary of the founding of OpenOffice, with the release of the source code by SUN Microsystems. At archive.org you can still find a copy of the website of the former OpenOffice.org (as of 17.10.2000):
https://web.archive.org/web/20001017210340/http://openoffice.org/

The ProOO-Box would like to congratulate:
http://prooo-box.org/seiten/jubilaeum.html

on this occasion we are putting a freshly updated ISO online for download:
http://prooo-box.org/seiten/download.html

On behalf of the ProOO-Box team

best regards
Jörg

p.s.

a deplorable detail:
Despite my best efforts, I was not able to publish an article about the anniversary of OpenOffice in any well-known German IT magazine or to encourage the magazines to do so themselves.

I consider our practically non-existent PR work to be the reason for this, especially since it means that we do not have reliable press contacts, as was once perfectly normal for OpenOffice.org and contributed to the overall success of the project.
Unfortunately, this lack of PR work also deprives us of the opportunity to report actively and up-to-date about AOO and our project work. Michael's reports from FOSS fairs and the opinions and assumptions of AOO users there show me that we do too little for this.

Re: Happy birthday OpenOffice

Alexandro Colorado
Is this just for German magazines?

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020, 11:23 AM Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Happy birthday OpenOffice,
>
> October 13th is the 20th anniversary of the founding of OpenOffice, with
> the release of the source code by SUN Microsystems. At archive.org you
> can still find a copy of the website of the former OpenOffice.org (as of
> 17.10.2000):
> https://web.archive.org/web/20001017210340/http://openoffice.org/
>
> The ProOO-Box would like to congratulate:
> http://prooo-box.org/seiten/jubilaeum.html
>
> on this occasion we are putting a freshly updated ISO online for download:
> http://prooo-box.org/seiten/download.html
>

> On behalf of the ProOO-Box team
>
> best regards
> Jörg
>

> p.s.
>
> a deplorable detail:
> Despite my best efforts, I was not able to publish an article about the
> anniversary of OpenOffice in any well-known German IT magazine or to
> encourage the magazines to do so themselves.
>
> I consider our practically non-existent PR work to be the reason for this,
> especially since it means that we do not have reliable press contacts, as
> was once perfectly normal for OpenOffice.org and contributed to the overall
> success of the project.
> Unfortunately, this lack of PR work also deprives us of the opportunity to
> report actively and up-to-date about AOO and our project work. Michael's
> reports from FOSS fairs and the opinions and assumptions of AOO users there
> show me that we do too little for this.

RE: Happy birthday OpenOffice

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

Specifically, yes, because I had only contacted German-language magazines.

But I assume that this will not look different for magazines in others, especially since OpenOffice is traditionally more common in German-speaking countries than in non-German-speaking countries.
OpenOffice.org, for example, had market shares of 12 (partly 15%) in Germany at its best times, confirmed by market research, this share is higher than any other known market share in other countries.

(The question of market share was of course not my reason to ask only for German magazines, but only that I myself cannot write articles on magazine level in English).

Jörg

Re: Happy birthday OpenOffice

Matthias Seidel
Some coverage in German:

https://www.heise.de/news/OpenOffice-feiert-Geburtstag-LibreOffice-meint-Juchhei-wir-wollen-euren-Namen-4929239.html

https://www.linux-magazin.de/news/20-jahre-openoffice/

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 13.10.20 um 13:41 schrieb JZA:

> Is this just for German magazines?
>

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020, 11:23 AM Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Happy birthday OpenOffice,
>>
>> October 13th is the 20th anniversary of the founding of OpenOffice, with
>> the release of the source code by SUN Microsystems. At archive.org you
>> can still find a copy of the website of the former OpenOffice.org (as of
>> 17.10.2000):
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20001017210340/http://openoffice.org/
>>
>> The ProOO-Box would like to congratulate:
>> http://prooo-box.org/seiten/jubilaeum.html
>>
>> on this occasion we are putting a freshly updated ISO online for download:
>> http://prooo-box.org/seiten/download.html
>>

>> On behalf of the ProOO-Box team
>>
>> best regards
>> Jörg
>>

>> p.s.
>>
>> a deplorable detail:
>> Despite my best efforts, I was not able to publish an article about the
>> anniversary of OpenOffice in any well-known German IT magazine or to
>> encourage the magazines to do so themselves.
>>
>> I consider our practically non-existent PR work to be the reason for this,
>> especially since it means that we do not have reliable press contacts, as
>> was once perfectly normal for OpenOffice.org and contributed to the overall
>> success of the project.
>> Unfortunately, this lack of PR work also deprives us of the opportunity to
>> report actively and up-to-date about AOO and our project work. Michael's
>> reports from FOSS fairs and the opinions and assumptions of AOO users there
>> show me that we do too little for this.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Happy birthday OpenOffice

Bidouille
From France:
https://www.numerama.com/tech/657446-libreoffice-interpelle-apache-openoffice-jetez-leponge-et-rejoignez-nous.html
https://openoffice-libreoffice.developpez.com/actu/309637/OpenOffice-org-celebre-son-20e-anniversaire/
Each news say that OpenOffice is dead and should take its place at LibO.
Same old story as 10 years ago.

> > On Mon, Oct 12, 2020, 11:23 AM Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Happy birthday OpenOffice,
> >>
> >> October 13th is the 20th anniversary of the founding of
> >> OpenOffice, with
> >> the release of the source code by SUN Microsystems. At archive.org
> >> you
> >> can still find a copy of the website of the former OpenOffice.org
> >> (as of
> >> 17.10.2000):
> >> https://web.archive.org/web/20001017210340/http://openoffice.org/
> >>
> >> The ProOO-Box would like to congratulate:
> >> http://prooo-box.org/seiten/jubilaeum.html
> >>
> >> on this occasion we are putting a freshly updated ISO online for
> >> download:
> >> http://prooo-box.org/seiten/download.html
> >>

> >> On behalf of the ProOO-Box team
> >>
> >> best regards
> >> Jörg
> >>

> >> p.s.
> >>
> >> a deplorable detail:
> >> Despite my best efforts, I was not able to publish an article
> >> about the
> >> anniversary of OpenOffice in any well-known German IT magazine or
> >> encourage the magazines to do so themselves.
> >>
> >> I consider our practically non-existent PR work to be the reason
> >> for this,
> >> especially since it means that we do not have reliable press
> >> contacts, as
> >> was once perfectly normal for OpenOffice.org and contributed to
> >> the overall
> >> success of the project.
> >> Unfortunately, this lack of PR work also deprives us of the
> >> opportunity to
> >> report actively and up-to-date about AOO and our project work.
> >> Michael's
> >> reports from FOSS fairs and the opinions and assumptions of AOO
> >> users there
> >> show me that we do too little for this.

Re: Happy birthday OpenOffice

Dave Fisher-2
How much LO help from the OpenOffice forums these days?

> On Oct 15, 2020, at 7:54 AM, Bidouille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> From France:
> https://www.numerama.com/tech/657446-libreoffice-interpelle-apache-openoffice-jetez-leponge-et-rejoignez-nous.html
> https://openoffice-libreoffice.developpez.com/actu/309637/OpenOffice-org-celebre-son-20e-anniversaire/
> Each news say that OpenOffice is dead and should take its place at LibO.
> Same old story as 10 years ago.

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 12/10/2020 Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Happy birthday OpenOffice,
> October 13th is the 20th anniversary of the founding of OpenOffice

I haven't seen on this list the link to the official 20th anniversary
announcement, so here it is:

https://s.apache.org/86lex

Happy birthday, now just in the middle of the 20th anniversary as a free
software project and the 8th anniversary as an Apache project in a
couple days!

Andrea

Re: Happy birthday OpenOffice

Matthias Seidel
Hi Andrea,

> On 12/10/2020 Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> Happy birthday OpenOffice,
>> October 13th is the 20th anniversary of the founding of OpenOffice
>
> I haven't seen on this list the link to the official 20th anniversary
> announcement, so here it is:
>
> https://s.apache.org/86lex
Thanks, we should also update our homepage with a link to that press
release.
But we got a little distracted... ;-)

> Happy birthday, now just in the middle of the 20th anniversary as a
> free software project and the 8th anniversary as an Apache project in
> a couple days!

Cheers!

Matthias

> Andrea

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: Happy birthday OpenOffice

Jörg Schmidt-2

thank you for these links.

My opinion is simple and clear:
LO deliberately forked and was not willing to behave rationally when the Oracle problem was over. The TDF has gambled away every moral right to the "OpenOffice" brand.

That is all that can be said about the absurd demands.

Jörg