Heading outline numbering not working right

Heading outline numbering not working right

Girvin Herr-2
Greetings.

I am using AOO 4.1.6 under Slackware Linux.

I have a document I created in April 2010 that I am updating and am
having a problem with "Heading 2" outline numbering. This is a example
of what I start with:

    1    Introduction
             <text>
    2    General
             <text>
    2.1    Subject
             <text>

When I try to add a new heading between "2" and "2.1", by inserting a
paragraph after 2's text and changing its style to "Heading 2", I get this:

    1    Introduction
             <text>
    2    General
             <text>
    1.1
    2.1    Subject
             <text>

Where I would expect:

    1    Introduction
             <text>
    2    General
             <text>
    2.1
    2.2    Subject
             <text>

It appears that the new "Heading 2" style is set to start over, but
examination of the style does not have the restart option set. I tried
using "Format" > "Default reformatting" on the new "Heading 2" paragraph
and nothing changes.

The "Heading 2" style "Outline & Numbering" tab has The "Outline level"
set to "Level 2" and greyed out, and "Numbering" > "Numbering Style" is
set to "Outline Numbering" and greyed out. "Line numbering" > "Include
this paragraph in line numbering" is unchecked, but checking it does not
change the result. "Restart at this paragraph" is unchecked and greyed
out. "Start with" is set to "1" but greyed out. The "Organizer" tab Has
"Linkled with" set to "Heading". "Contains" is:
     "Western text: 14 pt + Not Italic + bold + Numbering(Outline) + 2 +
don't count lines"

Note that if I copy a correct "Heading 2" heading from one part of the
document to where I need a "Heading 2", the result is correct - with the
correctly incremented outline number. This only occurs when I create a
new "Heading 2" paragraph by changing the paragraph style to "Heading 2".

Note also that this happens when I set the paragraph style to "Heading
3". I get 1.1.1.

Is there somewhere else that I need to change to continue the outline
numbering from the last Heading?

I do have the copy workaround to this problem, but I would like to
understand why this is not working correctly or what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.

Girvin Herr

Re: Heading outline numbering not working right

Girvin Herr-2
Greetings,

I found out how to fix this outline numbering problem. I wanted to see
if LibreOffice exhibited the same anomaly, so I performed the process
using LO. It behaved the same way. However, I clicked on the "1.1"
paragraph to bring up the paragraph context menu and there was an option
to "Continue Previous Numbering" right under the "Restart numbering"
option. I used it and the 1.1 paragraph changed to 2.1, just as it
should. Without saving the LO modified document, I brought it back into
OpenOffice and checked the same context menu and that "Continue Previous
Numbering" option is there also. I don't know why I didn't see that
option before posting my message. That is the solution.

Girvin Herr