[Help] Instructions on translating Websites

[Help] Instructions on translating Websites

Keith N. McKenna
Occasionally inquiries are received both here and on l10@ about
translating our websites. I found instructions at the Project website
(https://openoffice.apache.org/website-native.html) and would request
someone more knowledgeable with the process to review them as to whether
they are still accurate.

If they are or can be made so, it can be used as a starting point to
answer these inquiries. I am very willing to make whatever changes to
the page that are required, I am just not familiar enough with the
intricacies of the process to judge whether  they are accurate or even
still recommended.

Regards
Keith

Re: [Help] Instructions on translating Websites

FR web forum
The best way would to have Pootle to help this translation.
1) Extract all strings from EN website
2) Create a specific project in Pootle
3) Set as PO file for each languages
4) Convert all html files into php to get these strings

> translating our websites. I found instructions at the Project website
> (https://openoffice.apache.org/website-native.html) and would request
> someone more knowledgeable with the process to review them as to
> whether
> they are still accurate.
>
> If they are or can be made so, it can be used as a starting point to
> answer these inquiries. I am very willing to make whatever changes to
> the page that are required, I am just not familiar enough with the
> intricacies of the process to judge whether  they are accurate or
> even
> still recommended.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Re: [Help] Instructions on translating Websites

Marcus (OOo)
Am 11.06.2018 um 17:23 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

> Occasionally inquiries are received both here and on l10@ about
> translating our websites. I found instructions at the Project website
> (https://openoffice.apache.org/website-native.html) and would request
> someone more knowledgeable with the process to review them as to whether
> they are still accurate.
>
> If they are or can be made so, it can be used as a starting point to
> answer these inquiries. I am very willing to make whatever changes to
> the page that are required, I am just not familiar enough with the
> intricacies of the process to judge whether  they are accurate or even
> still recommended.

we have created a little template system for the webpages that can be
translated if there is a need:

https://www.openoffice.org/xx/index.html

It should be easy to grab them together from SVN and send them by mail
to volunteers.

@Matthias:
Do you have some experience or already a prepared zip file?

Thanks

Marcus

[Help] Instructions on translating Websites

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith,

I think the process described on that page is still accurate.

But although volunteers are willing to translate the pages, most of them
are not committers nor do they have knowledge in subversion.

So, what I did in the past (for several pages) was to give the volunteer
a list of strings (extracted from the website) and they sent it back
translated. Then I put the strings in the page and submitted it.

However this generates a lot of work and it would be great if we find a
way to simplify the process...

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

On 6/11/2018 3:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> I think the process described on that page is still accurate.
>
> But although volunteers are willing to translate the pages, most of them
> are not committers nor do they have knowledge in subversion.
>
> So, what I did in the past (for several pages) was to give the volunteer
> a list of strings (extracted from the website) and they sent it back
> translated. Then I put the strings in the page and submitted it.
>
> However this generates a lot of work and it would be great if we find a
> way to simplify the process...
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
My thinking behind this was to have something that a committer, (mainly
myself), with some spare cycles could follow to help expedite these
requests.

Regards
Keith
<snip>

Am 12.06.2018 um 19:38 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

> On 6/11/2018 3:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> I think the process described on that page is still accurate.
>>
>> But although volunteers are willing to translate the pages, most of them
>> are not committers nor do they have knowledge in subversion.
>>
>> So, what I did in the past (for several pages) was to give the volunteer
>> a list of strings (extracted from the website) and they sent it back
>> translated. Then I put the strings in the page and submitted it.
>>
>> However this generates a lot of work and it would be great if we find a
>> way to simplify the process...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
> My thinking behind this was to have something that a committer, (mainly
> myself), with some spare cycles could follow to help expedite these
> requests.
That's what I did up to now. See the list attached for Polish.
For the common volunteer even a HTML file is too hard to understand, so
I only gave them the needed strings.

If the volunteer wants to get credits he can be mentioned here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers

Since I am now concentrating on our Windows builds I would be happy if
someone could take over.
If needed I can provide files for all translatable strings (main and
download page).

Regards,
   Matthias

OpenOffice Translation 1 (pl).txt (2K) Download Attachment

On 6/12/2018 2:13 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Am 12.06.2018 um 19:38 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
>> On 6/11/2018 3:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> Hi Keith,
>>>
>>> I think the process described on that page is still accurate.
>>>
>>> But although volunteers are willing to translate the pages, most of them
>>> are not committers nor do they have knowledge in subversion.
>>>
>>> So, what I did in the past (for several pages) was to give the volunteer
>>> a list of strings (extracted from the website) and they sent it back
>>> translated. Then I put the strings in the page and submitted it.
>>>
>>> However this generates a lot of work and it would be great if we find a
>>> way to simplify the process...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias
>> My thinking behind this was to have something that a committer, (mainly
>> myself), with some spare cycles could follow to help expedite these
>> requests.
>
> That's what I did up to now. See the list attached for Polish.
> For the common volunteer even a HTML file is too hard to understand, so
> I only gave them the needed strings.
>
> If the volunteer wants to get credits he can be mentioned here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers
>
> Since I am now concentrating on our Windows builds I would be happy if
> someone could take over.
> If needed I can provide files for all translatable strings (main and
> download page).
>
> Regards,
>    Matthias
As we have a volunteer for Galician and Finnish on l10@ I will try
following the procedure on the website and see how it goes. I will
update how it proceeds on l10@.

Regards
Keith