Help with Text Document

Michael Mason
Hello support team,
I use Apache Open Office 4 and in the Text Document page I do some writing.
I would Like to know how to create a window that would sit on the left side of my working page so that if I have written a number of chapters I have a reference guide to each one of the chapters, instead of having to use the scroll bar on the right hand side of the work page to quickly find a particular section.

My explanation in what I am asking may not be right. I may not of used the correct terminology, but I hope you can understand what I am trying to do.

Thank you for your time
Michael Mason
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Help with Text Document

Brian Barker
At 05:18 22/06/2017 +0000, Michael Mason wrote:
>I use Apache Open Office 4 and in the Text Document page I do some
>writing. I would Like to know how to create a window that would sit
>on the left side of my working page so that if I have written a
>number of chapters I have a reference guide to each one of the
>chapters, instead of having to use the scroll bar on the right hand
>side of the work page to quickly find a particular section.

You can do this very easily using the Navigator. To display this,
either go to View | Navigator (or press F5) or - probably more
conveniently - click the Navigator icon (it looks like a compass) at
the right edge of the window to open the Navigator in the Sidebar.
You will want to give your chapter headings a suitable paragraph
style - one of the numbered Heading styles; these will then appear in
the list of Headings in the Navigator. Just double-click the heading
there to jump to that position in the text.

There are other ways of marking positions in the text that also allow
this simple, direct method of accessing them - notably Bookmarks. Set
bookmarks using Insert | Bookmark... . Sections (Insert | Section...)
can also be accessed in this way.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker