Help with document

Bella Dowthwaite
Hello,

I am an Open Office user and am having a big issue with a document.
I downloaded a template for university studies, filled it in, and then when I closed it and re-opened it (I had already saved it as is) a whole column in the template had disappeared, full of my written work.

I downloaded the template and filled in the column again on a new document, but when I closed it again and reopened it the same thing has happened. A whole column of writing had disappears and I cannot find it anywhere.

I have lost a lot of work and am very concerned.

Please let me know how to resolve this.

Call on 0434672500 if possible.

Thank you kindly

Bella Dowthwaite

Re: Help with document

jhivacaville-2
Hello.
I do not know how to fix your problem.
I have tried to contact Apache with no success to making the connection and to solve my problem.  The cells can no longer be filled with color background and ln previously filled cells, the colors have been removed .  In my contact attempts, all I get is a bunch of trash with no email address or telephone number to seek help.  I am about ready to dump the program altogether.
Wish I could help.
Jim Ingram

Re: Help with document

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 15:14:15 +1100
Bella Dowthwaite <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am an Open Office user and am having a big issue with a document.
> I downloaded a template for university studies, filled it in, and then when I closed it and re-opened it (I had already saved it as is) a whole column in the template had disappeared, full of my written work.
>
> I downloaded the template and filled in the column again on a new document, but when I closed it again and reopened it the same thing has happened. A whole column of writing had disappears and I cannot find it anywhere.
>
> I have lost a lot of work and am very concerned.
>
> Please let me know how to resolve this.
>
> Call on 0434672500 if possible.
>
> Thank you kindly
>
> Bella Dowthwaite

In what format do you Save your document?  .odt/ods are OpenOffice's native formats; these should not lose data.  Saving or working in a non native format can cause problems, as you are finding. Although OpenOffice supports .doc/.xls formats, this support is limited.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Help with document

Alan Boba-2
Is the template publicly available? If yes, please indicate where it can be
found so some testing can be done.

Also, to help replicate your conditions when testing, what version of
OpenOffice are you using and what kind of computer (Windows, include
version, i.e. 7, 10, etc., Mac, something else?)

Thank you.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 3:18 AM Bella Dowthwaite <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am an Open Office user and am having a big issue with a document.
> I downloaded a template for university studies, filled it in, and then
> when I closed it and re-opened it (I had already saved it as is) a whole
> column in the template had disappeared, full of my written work.
>
> I downloaded the template and filled in the column again on a new
> document, but when I closed it again and reopened it the same thing has
> happened. A whole column of writing had disappears and I cannot find it
> anywhere.
>
> I have lost a lot of work and am very concerned.
>
> Please let me know how to resolve this.
>
> Call on 0434672500 if possible.
>
> Thank you kindly
>
> Bella Dowthwaite

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Help with document

Felmon Davis
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020, Bella Dowthwaite wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am an Open Office user and am having a big issue with a document.
> I downloaded a template for university studies, filled it in, and then when I closed it and re-opened it (I had already saved it as is) a whole column in the template had disappeared, full of my written work.
>
> I downloaded the template and filled in the column again on a new
> document, but when I closed it again and reopened it the same thing
> has happened. A whole column of writing had disappears and I cannot
> find it anywhere.

people are getting ready to help you, and need some more information.
I would also ask how you installed the template? and yes, could we see
this template (provide the url or website address).

you are not trying to type stuff into the template itself, are you?

> I have lost a lot of work and am very concerned.
>
> Please let me know how to resolve this.
>
> Call on ...

this is a list of users - good people - but it's still not a good idea
to make your phone number public.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Re: Help with document

Keith N. McKenna
On 3/4/2020 9:11 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello.
> I do not know how to fix your problem.
> I have tried to contact Apache with no success to making the connection and to solve my problem.  The cells can no longer be filled with color background and ln previously filled cells, the colors have been removed .  In my contact attempts, all I get is a bunch of trash with no email address or telephone number to seek help.  I am about ready to dump the program altogether.
> Wish I could help.
> Jim Ingram

Jim;

I do not see any messages from you using this e-mail address so I have
no clue as to what your issue may have been. As far as a telephone
number there is not one. Apache OpeOffice® is an Open Source project
sponsered by the Apache® Software Foundation. The project is completely
developed and supported by volunteers. There are 2 major support
branches. This mailing list (mailto:[hidden email]) which
you appear to be subscribed to or http://forum.openoffice.org/. both  of
which provide help from volunteers. As with all help venues the more
detailed a summary of your problem along with the Version of AOO you are
using and the Operating System and version you are using the better we
can assist you.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna

Re: Help with document

Bella Dowthwaite
G’day

Thank you for all of the replies. I didn’t realise this was going to a mailing list, I was just trying to contact the company itself for online support. Apologies!

I had saved it in .odt format, and it was a template (document) given by my university for me to fill in. The same thing happened (column disappearing) when I used it on other applications too.

Anyway, I have typed up my answers in the disappearing column in a seperate document now, without using the template. I think the document was just uneditable in open office.

Thank you again for the replies I appreciate it.

Bella

> On 5 Mar 2020, at 2:39 am, Alan B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is the template publicly available? If yes, please indicate where it can be
> found so some testing can be done.
>
> Also, to help replicate your conditions when testing, what version of
> OpenOffice are you using and what kind of computer (Windows, include
> version, i.e. 7, 10, etc., Mac, something else?)
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 3:18 AM Bella Dowthwaite <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am an Open Office user and am having a big issue with a document.
>> I downloaded a template for university studies, filled it in, and then
>> when I closed it and re-opened it (I had already saved it as is) a whole
>> column in the template had disappeared, full of my written work.
>>
>> I downloaded the template and filled in the column again on a new
>> document, but when I closed it again and reopened it the same thing has
>> happened. A whole column of writing had disappears and I cannot find it
>> anywhere.
>>
>> I have lost a lot of work and am very concerned.
>>
>> Please let me know how to resolve this.
>>
>> Call on 0434672500 if possible.
>>
>> Thank you kindly
>>
>> Bella Dowthwaite

> Alan Boba
> CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Help with document

David Belina-2
Unless your university specifically said it was either in Open Office format (and was it a spreadsheet rather than a document?), Open Office might nor have recognized the “import” when it was saving - especially if it happened in other applications.
Perhaps your University should be advised of the problem.

Apach Open Office is not a company like Microsoft.  The is no company to contact for help, just the mailing list that has been trying to help (and a few really dedicated people on that list).

Dave B.
On March 4, 2020 at 1:23:24 PM, Bella Dowthwaite ([hidden email]) wrote:

G’day

Thank you for all of the replies. I didn’t realise this was going to a mailing list, I was just trying to contact the company itself for online support. Apologies!

I had saved it in .odt format, and it was a template (document) given by my university for me to fill in. The same thing happened (column disappearing) when I used it on other applications too.

Anyway, I have typed up my answers in the disappearing column in a seperate document now, without using the template. I think the document was just uneditable in open office.

Thank you again for the replies I appreciate it.

Bella

> On 5 Mar 2020, at 2:39 am, Alan B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is the template publicly available? If yes, please indicate where it can be
> found so some testing can be done.
>
> Also, to help replicate your conditions when testing, what version of
> OpenOffice are you using and what kind of computer (Windows, include
> version, i.e. 7, 10, etc., Mac, something else?)
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 3:18 AM Bella Dowthwaite <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am an Open Office user and am having a big issue with a document.
>> I downloaded a template for university studies, filled it in, and then
>> when I closed it and re-opened it (I had already saved it as is) a whole
>> column in the template had disappeared, full of my written work.
>>
>> I downloaded the template and filled in the column again on a new
>> document, but when I closed it again and reopened it the same thing has
>> happened. A whole column of writing had disappears and I cannot find it
>> anywhere.
>>
>> I have lost a lot of work and am very concerned.
>>
>> Please let me know how to resolve this.
>>
>> Call on 0434672500 if possible.
>>
>> Thank you kindly
>>
>> Bella Dowthwaite

> Alan Boba
> CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Help with document

Alan Boba-2
Hello Bella,

Some background info that I hope is helpful, re:templates...

If the last part of the file name provided by the university was .ott it is
a template file, e.g. university.ott. If not .ott at end of the name it is
not a template file.

If it is a template file like university.ott...:
* and university.ott is opened by double-click or File>Open... then the
document name at the top of the OpenOffice window will be "Untitled 1". It
will not be "university.ott" or "university"
* when saving the file for the first time OpenOffice will prompt for a file
name
* all edits will be saved in the file, "file-name-you-make-up.ODT"
* if "university.ott" template file is opened again none of the edits will
be there because that is not the file the edits were saved in

If for example you named the file "university" when saving, OpenOffice has
given it the full name "university.ODT". To find the file containing your
edits the file "university.ODT" must be opened.

Since you saved your edits but they weren't there when the file was opened
again I suspect you opened and edited a template file, .ott, then named and
closed it per the prompts when done. Then when opening the file again the
original "university.ott" file was opened and so no edits are found in the
file.

The "file-name-you-make-up.ODT", e.g. "university.ODT", is the file that
must be opened to see your edits.

If you're using Windows the file that was saved with all the edits is most
likely to be found in your "My Documents" folder.