High Priority Issues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

High Priority Issues

Peter Kovacs-3
There is feedback from Jon Ha ojn Issues that are important from the
support Forum perspective.

Please look into the following Issues:

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126846

(additional Info:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1532 )

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=128356

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126927

plus Data loss on different occations see tutorials to:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=87180


Hopoe that sums it up. You can read the detailed statement with some
critical feedback here:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=104234&p=505002#p505009


(hope the link works)


All the best

Peter


--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: High Priority Issues

Arrigo Marchiori
Hello Peter, All,

I am trying to give my opinion, from the pure perspective of a
newcome developer.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 09:40:47AM +0100, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> There is feedback from Jon Ha ojn Issues that are important from the support
> Forum perspective.
>
> Please look into the following Issues:
>
> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126846
>
> (additional Info:
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1532 )

I understand that this meta-bug is about frequent bad and frustrating
behavior of OpenOffice, but from a developer point of view, I would
need some information to replicate such a data loss, so I could
inspect the software in the moment the problem is happening. I could
not find this kind of information in the above report and in the other
reports its first comments refer to.

Is there anyone more knowledgeable about this problem, who could help
track this bit down?

> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=128356

Reproduced with 4.1.9 and trunk. I can look into this one.

> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126927

I think that this issue can be generalized as a "lack of logging and
error reporting in AOO". This is one of my own pet peeves.

> plus Data loss on different occations see tutorials to:
>
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038

This is really TL;DR -- can you help me understand if it is worth
reading all? It does not seem to be an error report, but rather a
``trick'' to restore lost information from leftover temporary files.

> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=87180

This seem to be a ``surgical'' (quoted) way to recover from certain
data corruption, again not an error report; am I right?

> Hopoe that sums it up. You can read the detailed statement with some
> critical feedback here:
>
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=104234&p=505002#p505009
>
> (hope the link works)

Yes, it does. But it is another very long form thread, with many links
to bug reports.

I believe you have got a better picture of the overall situation;
could you please help us split it into smaller problems?

From my humble point of view, bug 128356 shall be solved while working
on enhancing logging and error reporting at the same time; that would
be a great step towards solution of 126927.

I will start looking into the above, until someone with a better
overall picture will tell me otherwise.

Best regards,
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: High Priority Issues

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello Arrigo,

On 24.01.21 15:46, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 09:40:47AM +0100, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>
>> There is feedback from Jon Ha ojn Issues that are important from the support
>> Forum perspective.
>>
>> Please look into the following Issues:
>>
>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126846
>>
>> (additional Info:
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1532 )
> I understand that this meta-bug is about frequent bad and frustrating
> behavior of OpenOffice, but from a developer point of view, I would
> need some information to replicate such a data loss, so I could
> inspect the software in the moment the problem is happening. I could
> not find this kind of information in the above report and in the other
> reports its first comments refer to.
>
> Is there anyone more knowledgeable about this problem, who could help
> track this bit down?

There has been multiple attempts to track this down. So far no success.

Patricia, Andrea looked into these issues.

There were 2 theories:

1) the saving bar ends sooner then the task is done. So OpenOffice is
still saveing but it reports it is done so Windows Interrupts the
processes and it messes up.

2) We have some sort of racing condition

We know from the reports the Issue may turn up when Battery level is low
or Laptops are closed during save and the system switches into hibernate
mode, if I remember this right.

The other Issues I am not aware. Could be that they were mentioned, but
I am sure they did not stick in my mind. Maybe I listed them on Jira. I
am sure that least I never looked at those.

>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=128356
> Reproduced with 4.1.9 and trunk. I can look into this one.
>
>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126927
> I think that this issue can be generalized as a "lack of logging and
> error reporting in AOO". This is one of my own pet peeves.
>
>> plus Data loss on different occations see tutorials to:
>>
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
> This is really TL;DR -- can you help me understand if it is worth
> reading all? It does not seem to be an error report, but rather a
> ``trick'' to restore lost information from leftover temporary files.
>
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=87180
> This seem to be a ``surgical'' (quoted) way to recover from certain
> data corruption, again not an error report; am I right?
>
>> Hopoe that sums it up. You can read the detailed statement with some
>> critical feedback here:
>>
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=104234&p=505002#p505009
>>
>> (hope the link works)
> Yes, it does. But it is another very long form thread, with many links
> to bug reports.
>
> I believe you have got a better picture of the overall situation;
> could you please help us split it into smaller problems?
>
>  From my humble point of view, bug 128356 shall be solved while working
> on enhancing logging and error reporting at the same time; that would
> be a great step towards solution of 126927.
>
> I will start looking into the above, until someone with a better
> overall picture will tell me otherwise.
>
> Best regards,
--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: High Priority Issues

Patricia Shanahan

> On Jan 26, 2021, at 07:23, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ´╗┐Hello Arrigo,
>
>> On 24.01.21 15:46, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 09:40:47AM +0100, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>>>
>>> There is feedback from Jon Ha ojn Issues that are important from the support
>>> Forum perspective.
>>>
>>> Please look into the following Issues:
>>>
>>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126846
>>>
>>> (additional Info:
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1532 )
>> I understand that this meta-bug is about frequent bad and frustrating
>> behavior of OpenOffice, but from a developer point of view, I would
>> need some information to replicate such a data loss, so I could
>> inspect the software in the moment the problem is happening. I could
>> not find this kind of information in the above report and in the other
>> reports its first comments refer to.
>>
>> Is there anyone more knowledgeable about this problem, who could help
>> track this bit down?
>
> There has been multiple attempts to track this down. So far no success.
>
> Patricia, Andrea looked into these issues.
>
> There were 2 theories:
>
> 1) the saving bar ends sooner then the task is done. So OpenOffice is still saveing but it reports it is done so Windows Interrupts the processes and it messes up.
>
> 2) We have some sort of racing condition
>
> We know from the reports the Issue may turn up when Battery level is low or Laptops are closed during save and the system switches into hibernate mode, if I remember this right.

It may be possible to solve this one without diagnosis. Some programs maintain two copies of the files during the save process, with a control file that says which is the live copy.

The old set of files remains live until the new set has been written and all writes flushed to disk. At that point there is a single write to the control file that makes the new files active.

>
> The other Issues I am not aware. Could be that they were mentioned, but I am sure they did not stick in my mind. Maybe I listed them on Jira. I am sure that least I never looked at those.
>
>>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=128356
>> Reproduced with 4.1.9 and trunk. I can look into this one.
>>
>>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126927
>> I think that this issue can be generalized as a "lack of logging and
>> error reporting in AOO". This is one of my own pet peeves.
>>
>>> plus Data loss on different occations see tutorials to:
>>>
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
>> This is really TL;DR -- can you help me understand if it is worth
>> reading all? It does not seem to be an error report, but rather a
>> ``trick'' to restore lost information from leftover temporary files.
>>
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=87180
>> This seem to be a ``surgical'' (quoted) way to recover from certain
>> data corruption, again not an error report; am I right?
>>
>>> Hopoe that sums it up. You can read the detailed statement with some
>>> critical feedback here:
>>>
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=104234&p=505002#p505009
>>>
>>> (hope the link works)
>> Yes, it does. But it is another very long form thread, with many links
>> to bug reports.
>>
>> I believe you have got a better picture of the overall situation;
>> could you please help us split it into smaller problems?
>>
>> From my humble point of view, bug 128356 shall be solved while working
>> on enhancing logging and error reporting at the same time; that would
>> be a great step towards solution of 126927.
>>
>> I will start looking into the above, until someone with a better
>> overall picture will tell me otherwise.
>>
>> Best regards,
> --
> This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]