Hiii

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hiii

Jennie Klein
Hi,

My name is Jennie, I am in my third year of computer science.

I am currently looking for a job, but have been having trouble getting
interviews.

I have decided to join open source code to gain more experience in order to
enhance my resume and to broaden my skill set.

I had one semester in my second year of school that we programmed in C++,
so I am a little familiar but haven’t gotten to an advanced level of C++.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Alexandro Colorado
My honest advice is not too invest too much time on this project. Yes you
will learn about software development and the C++ language on higher level
projects. However the libraries in OpenOffice are not all that used on the
mainstream. I would recommend to pick up a project with Qt5 framework which
is a more popular framework for desktop application development as well as
some mobile.

Good luck

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 2:38 AM Jennie Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Jennie, I am in my third year of computer science.
>
> I am currently looking for a job, but have been having trouble getting
> interviews.
>
> I have decided to join open source code to gain more experience in order to
> enhance my resume and to broaden my skill set.
>
> I had one semester in my second year of school that we programmed in C++,
> so I am a little familiar but haven’t gotten to an advanced level of C++.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Jennie Klein
Ok, wow thank you for the advice!
On Dec 6, 2019 9:48 AM, "JZA" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My honest advice is not too invest too much time on this project. Yes you
> will learn about software development and the C++ language on higher level
> projects. However the libraries in OpenOffice are not all that used on the
> mainstream. I would recommend to pick up a project with Qt5 framework which
> is a more popular framework for desktop application development as well as
> some mobile.
>
> Good luck
>
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 2:38 AM Jennie Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > My name is Jennie, I am in my third year of computer science.
> >
> > I am currently looking for a job, but have been having trouble getting
> > interviews.
> >
> > I have decided to join open source code to gain more experience in order
> to
> > enhance my resume and to broaden my skill set.
> >
> > I had one semester in my second year of school that we programmed in C++,
> > so I am a little familiar but haven’t gotten to an advanced level of C++.
> >
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Peter Kovacs-3
I think it is a bad advice. To learn how to use a qt library is not rocket sience. If you understand programming you will pickup fast. Especially QT is one of the cleanest APIs I know.
A job where the libraries you know is more important then your understanding of programming they will not understand or care about your true needs.
Therefor will not offer you a good working place. Don't forget you will never know everything of a new working place. Even if you are a sprcialist you can be lucky in your workplace if you know 80%.
So for you it is major important to build confidents to program anything what will be thrown at you in a appropriate time.

For your free time engagement go into  projects you believe in. Software concepts have not really changed in 80 years. It is just more convenient to programm today then it has been 80 years ago. Mistakes what not to do is better known.

You are welcome to openoffice if you like. You will see on openoffice 30 years of programming history. Live desicion and old school concepts. And you will see political desicion, that are not technical beneficial. And no one will be able to explain it.
If you join a company with a similar mature history, you will recognize similarities. See similar code and have to deal with similar gaps.

You can make a difference by adding your modern knowledge of software engeneering. OpenOffice is a huge tanker with a small crew. You will be recognized fast.

Challenge is of course also not low. Entry barrier is as low as possible. If you meet a barrier where community can help we will.

It is your choice. Be yourself. Do what you believe in.

All the best
Peter



Am 6. Dezember 2019 08:50:54 MEZ schrieb Jennie Klein <[hidden email]>:

>Ok, wow thank you for the advice!
>On Dec 6, 2019 9:48 AM, "JZA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My honest advice is not too invest too much time on this project. Yes
>you
>> will learn about software development and the C++ language on higher
>level
>> projects. However the libraries in OpenOffice are not all that used
>on the
>> mainstream. I would recommend to pick up a project with Qt5 framework
>which
>> is a more popular framework for desktop application development as
>well as
>> some mobile.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 2:38 AM Jennie Klein <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My name is Jennie, I am in my third year of computer science.
>> >
>> > I am currently looking for a job, but have been having trouble
>getting
>> > interviews.
>> >
>> > I have decided to join open source code to gain more experience in
>order
>> to
>> > enhance my resume and to broaden my skill set.
>> >
>> > I had one semester in my second year of school that we programmed
>in C++,
>> > so I am a little familiar but haven’t gotten to an advanced level
>of C++.
>> >
>>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
Hello,

I try to say it in a few words:

You have to study only two things: Thinking (as a developer) and
learning (to become a better developer).

Everything else is volatile.

And we can offer you only honour, glory and much experience - and
"blood, toil, tears and sweat".

Some questions:

What are your special interests? There are some smaller and some bigger
"building yards".

What are your skills in other programming languages like Java and Perl
for example?

Kind regards
Michael




signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Jennie Klein
Hi Michael,
Sorry I haven't gotten in touch till now, things got a little but busy this
week.
Are you talking about interests in this specific project? Can you give me a
few options of what specific areas I can choose from?
I have experience in Java, C and Python.


On Fri, 6 Dec. 2019, 11:23 Dr. Michael Stehmann, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to say it in a few words:
>
> You have to study only two things: Thinking (as a developer) and
> learning (to become a better developer).
>
> Everything else is volatile.
>
> And we can offer you only honour, glory and much experience - and
> "blood, toil, tears and sweat".
>
> Some questions:
>
> What are your special interests? There are some smaller and some bigger
> "building yards".
>
> What are your skills in other programming languages like Java and Perl
> for example?
>
> Kind regards
> Michael
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Jennie,

first you should be able to build Apache OpenOffice yourself.

You can start here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

ask hiere on the list if you have questions

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 14.12.19 um 17:17 schrieb Jennie Klein:

> Hi Michael,
> Sorry I haven't gotten in touch till now, things got a little but busy this
> week.
> Are you talking about interests in this specific project? Can you give me a
> few options of what specific areas I can choose from?
> I have experience in Java, C and Python.
>
>
> On Fri, 6 Dec. 2019, 11:23 Dr. Michael Stehmann, <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I try to say it in a few words:
>>
>> You have to study only two things: Thinking (as a developer) and
>> learning (to become a better developer).
>>
>> Everything else is volatile.
>>
>> And we can offer you only honour, glory and much experience - and
>> "blood, toil, tears and sweat".
>>
>> Some questions:
>>
>> What are your special interests? There are some smaller and some bigger
>> "building yards".
>>
>> What are your skills in other programming languages like Java and Perl
>> for example?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Michael
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome
## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Matthias Seidel
Hi Mechtilde,

If I would have waited to do something for AOO until I could build it
myself, I would never have started. ;-)
One can begin at a much lower level...

And BTW: The documentation is still not up to date and will confuse
volunteers more than it will help.

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 14.12.19 um 20:23 schrieb Mechtilde:

> Hello Jennie,
>
> first you should be able to build Apache OpenOffice yourself.
>
> You can start here:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>
> ask hiere on the list if you have questions
>
> Kind regards
>
> Mechtilde
>
> Am 14.12.19 um 17:17 schrieb Jennie Klein:
>> Hi Michael,
>> Sorry I haven't gotten in touch till now, things got a little but busy this
>> week.
>> Are you talking about interests in this specific project? Can you give me a
>> few options of what specific areas I can choose from?
>> I have experience in Java, C and Python.
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 6 Dec. 2019, 11:23 Dr. Michael Stehmann, <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I try to say it in a few words:
>>>
>>> You have to study only two things: Thinking (as a developer) and
>>> learning (to become a better developer).
>>>
>>> Everything else is volatile.
>>>
>>> And we can offer you only honour, glory and much experience - and
>>> "blood, toil, tears and sweat".
>>>
>>> Some questions:
>>>
>>> What are your special interests? There are some smaller and some bigger
>>> "building yards".
>>>
>>> What are your skills in other programming languages like Java and Perl
>>> for example?
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Michael
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiii

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi Matthias,

You have an Idea what we can give for work to someone who wants to program?

I fear for programming building is the base.

All the Best
Peter

Am 14. Dezember 2019 20:44:33 MEZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>Hi Mechtilde,
>
>If I would have waited to do something for AOO until I could build it
>myself, I would never have started. ;-)
>One can begin at a much lower level...
>
>And BTW: The documentation is still not up to date and will confuse
>volunteers more than it will help.
>
>Regards,
>
>   Matthias
>
>Am 14.12.19 um 20:23 schrieb Mechtilde:
>> Hello Jennie,
>>
>> first you should be able to build Apache OpenOffice yourself.
>>
>> You can start here:
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>>
>> ask hiere on the list if you have questions
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Mechtilde
>>
>> Am 14.12.19 um 17:17 schrieb Jennie Klein:
>>> Hi Michael,
>>> Sorry I haven't gotten in touch till now, things got a little but
>busy this
>>> week.
>>> Are you talking about interests in this specific project? Can you
>give me a
>>> few options of what specific areas I can choose from?
>>> I have experience in Java, C and Python.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, 6 Dec. 2019, 11:23 Dr. Michael Stehmann, <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> I try to say it in a few words:
>>>>
>>>> You have to study only two things: Thinking (as a developer) and
>>>> learning (to become a better developer).
>>>>
>>>> Everything else is volatile.
>>>>
>>>> And we can offer you only honour, glory and much experience - and
>>>> "blood, toil, tears and sweat".
>>>>
>>>> Some questions:
>>>>
>>>> What are your special interests? There are some smaller and some
>bigger
>>>> "building yards".
>>>>
>>>> What are your skills in other programming languages like Java and
>Perl
>>>> for example?
>>>>
>>>> Kind regards
>>>> Michael
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>