How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

FC

How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

FC
     I use OpenOffice 3.4.1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

     I'm only an occasional chart maker.  I created a chart years ago,
of Column, Stacked, with three Data Sets.

     Will some kind person please remind me how to change the text
in the Legend for the three Data Sets?

     Fred

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

Joost Andrae-2
Hi Fred,

you usually just need to change the title of the colums within the
source data set. If you create a chart within AOO then the chart is an
OLE (object linking and embedding) object. Such objects share a
connection to the source data within the document where you create the
chart. In Writer (the wordprocessor) the source data is usually stored
within a table and within Calc (the spreadsheet module) the source data
is part of this document where every element (cell) of this document can
be a source of a chart. I Calc to find out which table part is used as
source data then open that document and doubleclick the chart. In this
case source data for this chart is highlighted. In Writer unfortunately
it isn't. This would be a useful feature to implement...

Am 23.11.2014 um 19:36 schrieb FC:

>      I use OpenOffice 3.4.1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
>
>      I'm only an occasional chart maker.  I created a chart years ago,
> of Column, Stacked, with three Data Sets.
>
>      Will some kind person please remind me how to change the text
> in the Legend for the three Data Sets?
>
>      Fred

Kind regards, Joost

FC

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

FC
Joost:
     Thanks.  I'm using Open Office Calc.  There are three Columns of
Data I used
for the Chart.  I must have started the Data Range /below /the Column
Headings.
Hence the three Labels appearing in the Legend, each preceeded by a Square
object with the same color or shading in the Column Bar as the Data
Series it
represents, with the three Texts reading: Column E, Column D, and Column C.
It is these Texts I would like to change.
     I suppose I could change the Data Ranges to include the Column
Headings.
If that's the easiest way then I need a reminder of how to do that.
It's been
years since I created this, or any other Chart.
     Fred

On 11/23/14 12:57 PM, Joost Andrae wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> you usually just need to change the title of the colums within the
> source data set. If you create a chart within AOO then the chart is an
> OLE (object linking and embedding) object. Such objects share a
> connection to the source data within the document where you create the
> chart. In Writer (the wordprocessor) the source data is usually stored
> within a table and within Calc (the spreadsheet module) the source
> data is part of this document where every element (cell) of this
> document can be a source of a chart. I Calc to find out which table
> part is used as source data then open that document and doubleclick
> the chart. In this case source data for this chart is highlighted. In
> Writer unfortunately it isn't. This would be a useful feature to
> implement...
>

> Am 23.11.2014 um 19:36 schrieb FC:
>>      I use OpenOffice 3.4.1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
>>
>>      I'm only an occasional chart maker.  I created a chart years ago,
>> of Column, Stacked, with three Data Sets.
>>
>>      Will some kind person please remind me how to change the text
>> in the Legend for the three Data Sets?
>>
>>      Fred
>>

> Kind regards, Joost

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

Brian Barker
At 10:36 23/11/2014 -0800, Fred Conly wrote:
>I use OpenOffice 3.4.1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I'm only
>an occasional chart maker. I created a chart years ago, of Column,
>Stacked, with three Data Sets. Will some kind person please remind
>me how to change the text in the Legend for the three Data Sets?

o Double-click the chart to select it - so you see the grey border,
not just the eight coloured handles.
o The source cells for the legend text should be highlighted in the
spreadsheet - either as column (or row) titles for the data ranges or
else independently.
o If so, modify the text there.

If not - and especially if the legend text is "Column X" and so on -
you can set up a table for the legend:
o Enter the required legend text into separate suitable cells
anywhere in the spreadsheet.
o Double-click the chart to select it - so you see the grey border,
not just the eight coloured handles.
o Go to Format | Data Ranges... | Data Series (or right-click | Data
Ranges... | Data Series).
o Select each data series in turn in the "Data series" column and
select Name in the "Data ranges" column.
o Next to "Range for Name", click the "Select data range" button.
o Click the relevant cell.
o Repeat for other data series.

At 15:00 23/11/2014 -0800, Fred Conly wrote:

>I'm using Open Office Calc. There are three Columns of Data I used
>for the Chart. I must have started the Data Range /below /the Column
>Headings. Hence the three Labels appearing in the Legend, each
>preceded by a Square object with the same color or shading in the
>Column Bar as the Data Series it represents, with the three Texts
>reading: Column E, Column D, and Column C. It is these Texts I would
>like to change.
>
>I suppose I could change the Data Ranges to include the Column
>Headings. If that's the easiest way then I need a reminder of how to do that.

To do it that way:
o Double-click the chart to select it - so you see the grey border,
not just the eight coloured handles.
o Go to Format | Data Ranges... | Data Series (or right-click | Data
Ranges... | Data Series).
o Select each data series in turn in the "Data series" column and
select "y-Values" in the "Data ranges" column.
o Next to "Range for y-Values", click the "Select data range" button.
o Ignore the existing marked range (without the column heading) and
drag over the correct range - now including the heading.
o Repeat for other data series.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

FC

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

FC
Brian:
     Thanks.  I used your second suggestion and I could produce
labels for two of the three columns.  Strangely, I could not
produce the third and I can't figure out why.
     Fred

At 20:19 23/11/2014 -0800, Fred Conly wrote:
>I used your second suggestion [adjusting the data ranges to include
>column headers] and I could produce labels for two of the three
>columns. Strangely, I could not produce the third and I can't figure out why.

Do you mean that you couldn't adjust one of the data ranges or that
you did so but the text still did not appear in the legend? Does the
correct range appear in the "Range for y-Values" box?

Brian Barker

FC

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

FC
Brian:
     Thanks for trying to help.  Tell me, what does
$SPH or SSPH, it's hard to distinguish which, that
appears before a Data Range and what does it do?
     Fred

At 13:25 24/11/2014 -0800, Fred Conly wrote:
>Tell me, what does $SPH or SSPH, it's hard to distinguish which,
>that appears before a Data Range and what does it do?

The "SPH" will be the sheet name and qualifies the call range to
indicate which sheet in the spreadsheet is being referred to. The $
sign will have its usual function of freezing the reference against
automatic changes when copied or filled.

Brian Barker

FC

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

FC
Brian:
     Thanks again.  The name SPH must be assigned by OO Calc
because it's nothing I named.  Also "SPH." preceeds each Data Range
from Column A, which contains the x-axis data, and columns C, D,
and E which contain the data charted.  The prolific use of $ is
unnecessary and confusing in this case.
     I will try again now knowing what this hieroglyphic means.
     Fred

At 16:07 24/11/2014 -0800, FC wrote:
>The name SPH must be assigned by OO Calc because it's nothing I named.

Hardly likely: it's the name you (or someone) gave to the sheet -
shown on the tab at its bottom left. The default names are Sheet1,
Sheet2, and so on.

>Also "SPH." precedes each Data Range from Column A, which contains
>the x-axis data, and columns C, D, and E which contain the data charted.

Because all your data is on sheet SPH, whereas it could have been on
other sheets in your spreadsheet. Bare references such as A1 are
ambiguous if you have more than one sheet: there is an A1 on each sheet.

Brian Barker

FC

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

FC
Brian:
     Thanks again.
     Why anyone would use the designation SPH to refer to
Sheet n is incomprehensible; why not, for example, SHn?
     I understand what you say about multiple sheet references.
In this case there is only one sheet of Data and one sheet of
Chart.
     Fred

At 18:40 24/11/2014 -0800, Fred Conly wrote:
>Why anyone would use the designation SPH to refer to Sheet n is
>incomprehensible; ...

No doubt it stands for something to do with the spreadsheet's
purpose. Ask the author. Oh, look: that's you.

>... why not, for example, SHn?

As I mentioned, Sheet1 etc. are indeed the default names. Someone
thought better.

>I understand what you say about multiple sheet references. In this
>case there is only one sheet of Data and one sheet of Chart.

Until you add another. Calc cannot know you won't. You cannot know you won't.

Brian Barker

Re: How Do I Change Text in the Legend of a Chart?

James Plante
To further illustrate Brian's points, try this:
Right-click on the sheet tab "SPH"; from the context menu, choose "Rename Sheet..."
In the dialog, type "Single Point Hats" or whatever other name suits you. Click "OK".
Now check your data ranges again. You'll find that instead of "SPH" or "$SPH", it will read instead, "Single Point Hats" or "$Single Point Hats."

See? You named the sheet. Or, whoever you received the sheet from did it. And you can change it if the existing name is too cryptic to suit you.

If you choose to change the data range, be sure to include the name of the sheet.

Jim Plante