How-Tos and Tutorials

Anne McGee
Hello,

I'm interested in contributing documentation. I have an idea to write how-tos on
using OO for technical writing ... ie. formatting, image management, etc. What
do I need to know to get started?

thanks,
Anne

Re: How-Tos and Tutorials

Clayton-24
On 02/15/2010 10:40 PM, Anne McGee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in contributing documentation. I have an idea to write how-tos on
> using OO for technical writing ... ie. formatting, image management, etc. What
> do I need to know to get started?
>
> thanks,
> Anne

Hi Anne.  Welcome to the OpenOffice.org Documentation Project.

The first thing to do is subscribe to this list, or you won't see any
replies. Send a blank email to [hidden email]

The Documentation Project has two main mailing lists:
[hidden email], for discussions related to project
infrastructure and policy, and [hidden email], where
writers, editors, reviewers, and others discuss documents they are
working on.

We recommend you subscribe to each of these mailing lists. To subscribe
to the authors list, send a blank email to
[hidden email]

To get an overview of the project, look at the Documentation Wiki at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation There you will
find most of the documentation that we have available for OOo.  The box
on the top right of the Documentation Wiki, "Want To Help?" contains
some helpful information to help you get started.

Work on the user guides mainly takes place through the OOoAuthors
website, http://oooauthors.org/english Those docs are then made
available through the Documentation wiki.

Most of the other materials produced and maintained by the Documentation
Project, including how-to's, tutorials, and FAQs, as well as documents
for system admins, programmers and developers, are wiki-based. So you
might want to get an account on the wiki as well.

BTW, we are in the process of evaluating what the Project is doing and
how it's doing it, so some parts of the wiki and the website are being
reorganised and rewritten. If some things seem inconsistent or unclear,
that's probably why. We also use the wiki for planning purposes. You are
welcome to join in. And don't be shy about asking questions on the list
when things are unclear.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead

Re: How-Tos and Tutorials

Jean Hollis Weber-3
Welcome! I really like your proposed project. I would like to see more
how-tos targeted at specific audiences, especially intermediate and
advanced users. OOoAuthors may be a good place to work on these.
--Jean

On Tuesday, February 16, 2010, Anne McGee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in contributing documentation. I have an idea to write how-tos on
> using OO for technical writing ... ie. formatting, image management, etc. What
> do I need to know to get started?
>
> thanks,
> Anne

requesting proofreading and layout help for mid level base tutorial

mcasanova
Dear Community:

I am happy to say that the Beginner to Mid Level Base Tutorial project is
finally coming to an end. There has been a lot of work invested here and I
truly hope that it will be a useful tool to further the use of this
application.

You can find the current drafts and final drafts at:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=778

Parts I and II are pretty much final in the sense that there will be no
more content added, although there will be tweaks and maybe even some
portions discarded if I get enough input suggesting so.

I am still working on two small sections of part III and hope to deliver
it by the beginning of March. However, there bulk of the body is there and
won't see many changes.

I am requesting the help of someone who would want to proofread the text,
helping with syntax and minor grammar or who would want to point to
important sections for re-writing because of poor grammar of lack of
sense. At this moment in the project, I can't spot the mistakes even if
they were blinking and screaming at me.

I am hoping this person would want to keep a dialog with me that will help
enhance the text and its usefulness.

I wold also like help with the layout of text and figures -hoping for an
harmonious look of the page- and the adding of figures where they could
help make the text easier to follow.

Finally I am requesting help with testing the examples to verify that they
work not only in my computer.

Dear Jean, I would appreciate if you point me in the direction of the
copyright or license types that are more helpful to the efforts of
documentation, both on-line and in print. Also, I would be very
appreciative of any editing recommendations as I understand that you are a
technical editor. Your input will be very welcomed.

If there are any volunteers for these daunting tasks, please contact me
through this list or directly to the email address in the header.

Thanks in advance,

Mariano Casanova

Re: requesting proofreading and layout help for mid level base tutorial

sally magnin
I can do that for you, Mariano.  I love to proofread.

Re: requesting proofreading and layout help for mid level base tutorial

Andy Brown-5
[hidden email] wrote:

> Dear Community:
>
> I am happy to say that the Beginner to Mid Level Base Tutorial project is
> finally coming to an end. There has been a lot of work invested here and I
> truly hope that it will be a useful tool to further the use of this
> application.
>
> You can find the current drafts and final drafts at:
>
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=778
>
> Parts I and II are pretty much final in the sense that there will be no
> more content added, although there will be tweaks and maybe even some
> portions discarded if I get enough input suggesting so.

Mariano,

As I have time I will help out here.

--
Andy Brown
La Mesa, CA  91942

Re: requesting proofreading and layout help for mid level base tutorial

Claire Wood
Mariano

I'm willing to help.  I'm based in the UK and have experience as a
technical author with copy editing and proofreading experience.

I am happy to help with proofreading, page layout of text and figure
arrangment, correcting grammar; anything you like.  Just let me know
what you want me to look at.

I'm checking in with Jean today to see what is left to do on the Wiki
and with the Draw Guide, so I'm happy to help you as a break from
that.

Kind regards

Claire Wood

On 18 February 2010 15:16,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Community:
>
> I am happy to say that the Beginner to Mid Level Base Tutorial project is
> finally coming to an end. There has been a lot of work invested here and I
> truly hope that it will be a useful tool to further the use of this
> application.
>
> You can find the current drafts and final drafts at:
>
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=778
>
> Parts I and II are pretty much final in the sense that there will be no
> more content added, although there will be tweaks and maybe even some
> portions discarded if I get enough input suggesting so.
>
> I am still working on two small sections of part III and hope to deliver
> it by the beginning of March. However, there bulk of the body is there and
> won't see many changes.
>
> I am requesting the help of someone who would want to proofread the text,
> helping with syntax and minor grammar or who would want to point to
> important sections for re-writing because of poor grammar of lack of
> sense. At this moment in the project, I can't spot the mistakes even if
> they were blinking and screaming at me.
>
> I am hoping this person would want to keep a dialog with me that will help
> enhance the text and its usefulness.
>
> I wold also like help with the layout of text and figures -hoping for an
> harmonious look of the page- and the adding of figures where they could
> help make the text easier to follow.
>
> Finally I am requesting help with testing the examples to verify that they
> work not only in my computer.
>
> Dear Jean, I would appreciate if you point me in the direction of the
> copyright or license types that are more helpful to the efforts of
> documentation, both on-line and in print. Also, I would be very
> appreciative of any editing recommendations as I understand that you are a
> technical editor. Your input will be very welcomed.
>
> If there are any volunteers for these daunting tasks, please contact me
> through this list or directly to the email address in the header.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mariano Casanova

Best wishes

Claire Wood

Base tutorial

mcasanova
Hi Sally,

I haven't heard from you after your nice offer and I was wondering if you
are still on board and if you had received the files I sent you. Please
let me know.

Cheers,

M.