How can we redirect http://www.openoffice.org/en/

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

How can we redirect address http://www.openoffice.org/en/ to http://www.openoffice.org?

At the moment http://www.openoffice.org/en/ shows a error message (404), this is not so good.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: How can we redirect http://www.openoffice.org/en/

Marcus (OOo)
Am 13.02.2017 um 09:16 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> How can we redirect address http://www.openoffice.org/en/ to http://www.openoffice.org?
>
> At the moment http://www.openoffice.org/en/ shows a error message (404), this is not so good.

IMHO simply as it is not needed. ;-)

First of all, we need to know if this is a problem at all. In all the
years I don't remember that someone has talked about this and called it
a problem. also when searching in Google you don't search for this URL.

So, how have you come to this problem? Is there a link containing this
URL? Or something else?

Thanks

Marcus

Re: How can we redirect http://www.openoffice.org/en/

Jörg Schmidt-2
> From: Marcus [mailto:[hidden email]]

> Am 13.02.2017 um 09:16 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> > How can we redirect address http://www.openoffice.org/en/
> to http://www.openoffice.org?
> >
> > At the moment http://www.openoffice.org/en/ shows a error
> message (404), this is not so good.
>
> IMHO simply as it is not needed. ;-)

Yes, already possible

> First of all, we need to know if this is a problem at all. In all the
> years I don't remember that someone has talked about this and
> called it
> a problem.

In fact I have not noticed anything so far, so I was surprised today to the error message.

> So, how have you come to this problem?

Sorry, I can not exactly say I came today, by surfing, unexpectedly on this page.

Am 13.02.2017 um 19:50 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

>> From: Marcus [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
>> Am 13.02.2017 um 09:16 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
>>> How can we redirect address http://www.openoffice.org/en/
>> to http://www.openoffice.org?
>>>
>>> At the moment http://www.openoffice.org/en/ shows a error
>> message (404), this is not so good.
>>
>> IMHO simply as it is not needed. ;-)
>
> Yes, already possible
>
>> First of all, we need to know if this is a problem at all. In all the
>> years I don't remember that someone has talked about this and
>> called it
>> a problem.
>
> In fact I have not noticed anything so far, so I was surprised today to the error message.
>
>> So, how have you come to this problem?
>
> Sorry, I can not exactly say I came today, by surfing, unexpectedly on this page.

you don't have to be sorry. Thanks for testing and asking. :-)

IMHO the most common way would be to add a redirect in the webserver
config (--> Infra team).

If this isn't possible, then we can create the "en/ directory and add a
"index.html" file which contains a redirect to the main homepage.

Suggestion:
I wouldn't put any effort into a solution as long as it is not sure if
it is a real problem.

PS:
There is the same with "en-us", "en-gb", en-uk", "de-at", de-ch" and I'm
sure there are some more.

Marcus

Re: How can we redirect http://www.openoffice.org/en/

Jörg Schmidt-2
> From: Marcus [mailto:[hidden email]]

> Suggestion:
> I wouldn't put any effort into a solution as long as it is
> not sure if
> it is a real problem.

OK, we are not changing anything at the moment.

> PS:
> There is the same with "en-us", "en-gb", en-uk", "de-at",
> de-ch" and I'm
> sure there are some more.

Yes, but I think "en" is something special, because "en" imho means not only the localization, but also the original.
I mean English is the project language, and therefore an English original version (in german: "Ur-Version") of every program version exists and, for example, "en-us" formally represents a translation. Ok, this is very formal, but I think logically correct.

greetings,
Jörg