How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

I had opened the thread "Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?" and it was also diligently discussed there.
But there seems to be no solution yet and at the same time the requests from users who are practically not able to work anymore because AOO does not work under BigSur continue.

1.
Is there any solution in sight?

2.
If not, shouldn't we at least publicly announce that AOO under MacOS 11.0 (BigSur) is currently not supported?
(This would give users the chance to wait with the update of MacOS to version 11.0).

Sorry, my point of view is only that of a supporter who supports users day by day  (voluntarily in the community and professionally), I can't assess the technical problems, but unfortunately I see that the current situation is damaging our reputation.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello jörg,

here is the last test to fix this problem.

http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/

this build is from yesterday.

Regards

Mechtilde

Am 25.12.20 um 11:02 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> Hello,
>
> I had opened the thread "Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?" and it was also diligently discussed there.
> But there seems to be no solution yet and at the same time the requests from users who are practically not able to work anymore because AOO does not work under BigSur continue.
>
> 1.
> Is there any solution in sight?
>
> 2.
> If not, shouldn't we at least publicly announce that AOO under MacOS 11.0 (BigSur) is currently not supported?
> (This would give users the chance to wait with the update of MacOS to version 11.0).
>

> Sorry, my point of view is only that of a supporter who supports users day by day  (voluntarily in the community and professionally), I can't assess the technical problems, but unfortunately I see that the current situation is damaging our reputation.
>

> greetings,
> Jörg

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Matthias Seidel
Hi Mechtilde,

Am 25.12.20 um 11:27 schrieb Mechtilde:
> Hello jörg,
>
> here is the last test to fix this problem.
>
> http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/
>
> this build is from yesterday.

Yes, but that is a branch we will not be releasing soon... ;-)

AOO 4.1.8 *does* run on Big Sur, but we have an open issue with opening
docx files.
This and some other "glitches" would (IMHO) justify a new 4.1.9 build.

BTW: Have some nice days for Christmas!
We are all spending so much of our private time on this project, it
should never be forgotten that we all deserve some private time.
Especially after this "special" year. Looking forward to 2021!

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello Mechtilde,

Thank you.
May I share this link with an end-user at [hidden email]?

furthermore:
------------
1.
May I share this link elsewhere (e.g. in http://de.openoffice.info)?

2.
I don't know if there are plans to replace the official download version with this new version and how fast that would be.
Would it be a way to list this version, with appropriate notes (which we should discuss briefly) in the release notes.

greetings,
Jörg

RE: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

+1

I can only emphasize again
the situation for the normal macOS users is currently very unpleasant, they update to BigSur and then AOO no longer runs properly. (The end-users do not distinguish between general problems and problems with file types.)

If there is no new Release there must be an info(*) in the release notes. as soon as possible.

(*)
I can do the work of writing, however, the decision to publish such a info/notice we must make together.

Am 25.12.20 um 12:22 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> Hello Mechtilde,

First we need feedback from tester whether this build works as expected.

Am 25.12.20 um 12:51 schrieb Mechtilde:

> Hello Jörg,
>
> Am 25.12.20 um 12:22 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
>> Hello Mechtilde,

I can confirm that this build can open docx. But this is a different
branch and I am not sure if it ever was affected by the problem.
@Jim: Checking for updates is functional again for me!

However, we really should state this (known) Problem in our Release Notes.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Jim Jagielski
It is more than likely that we may need to release a 4.1.9 just to accommodate BigSur. However, AOO
is hardly unique in being an app that no longer works when someone upgrades to BigSur. The macOS
community is replete w/ such apps. I'm not using that as an excuse, but that is what it is.

> On Dec 25, 2020, at 5:02 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I had opened the thread "Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?" and it was also diligently discussed there.
> But there seems to be no solution yet and at the same time the requests from users who are practically not able to work anymore because AOO does not work under BigSur continue.
>
> 1.
> Is there any solution in sight?
>
> 2.
> If not, shouldn't we at least publicly announce that AOO under MacOS 11.0 (BigSur) is currently not supported?
> (This would give users the chance to wait with the update of MacOS to version 11.0).
>

> Sorry, my point of view is only that of a supporter who supports users day by day  (voluntarily in the community and professionally), I can't assess the technical problems, but unfortunately I see that the current situation is damaging our reputation.
>

> greetings,
> Jörg

Re: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Matthias Seidel
Hi Jim,

Am 26.12.20 um 15:17 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> It is more than likely that we may need to release a 4.1.9 just to accommodate BigSur. However, AOO
> is hardly unique in being an app that no longer works when someone upgrades to BigSur. The macOS
> community is replete w/ such apps. I'm not using that as an excuse, but that is what it is.

More than once Apple did break something with an OS upgrade and fixed it
with one of the next updates...

Let's see how macOS 11.2 (beta) behaves [1].

Regards,

   Matthias

[1]
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/17/apple-seeds-macos-big-sur-11-2-public-beta-1/

>> On Dec 25, 2020, at 5:02 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I had opened the thread "Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?" and it was also diligently discussed there.
>> But there seems to be no solution yet and at the same time the requests from users who are practically not able to work anymore because AOO does not work under BigSur continue.
>>
>> 1.
>> Is there any solution in sight?
>>
>> 2.
>> If not, shouldn't we at least publicly announce that AOO under MacOS 11.0 (BigSur) is currently not supported?
>> (This would give users the chance to wait with the update of MacOS to version 11.0).
>>

>> Sorry, my point of view is only that of a supporter who supports users day by day  (voluntarily in the community and professionally), I can't assess the technical problems, but unfortunately I see that the current situation is damaging our reputation.
>>

>> greetings,
>> Jörg

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Jim Jagielski
For me, the issue is whether it is, indeed, a code problem in 4.1.8 that requires fixes
and thus a 4.1.9 release, or whether it is a *build* problem, that implies that building
4.1.8 with a newer SDK will resolve the problem. AFAICT, that question is still unresolved.
What we DO know is that 4.2.0-dev works fine under Big Sur.

With that in mind, over the next week I may try building 4.1.8 but with various versions
of Xcode and macOS SDKs...

> On Dec 26, 2020, at 10:05 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Am 26.12.20 um 15:17 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> It is more than likely that we may need to release a 4.1.9 just to accommodate BigSur. However, AOO
>> is hardly unique in being an app that no longer works when someone upgrades to BigSur. The macOS
>> community is replete w/ such apps. I'm not using that as an excuse, but that is what it is.
>
> More than once Apple did break something with an OS upgrade and fixed it
> with one of the next updates...
>
> Let's see how macOS 11.2 (beta) behaves [1].
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> [1]
> https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/17/apple-seeds-macos-big-sur-11-2-public-beta-1/
>

>>> On Dec 25, 2020, at 5:02 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I had opened the thread "Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?" and it was also diligently discussed there.
>>> But there seems to be no solution yet and at the same time the requests from users who are practically not able to work anymore because AOO does not work under BigSur continue.
>>>
>>> 1.
>>> Is there any solution in sight?
>>>
>>> 2.
>>> If not, shouldn't we at least publicly announce that AOO under MacOS 11.0 (BigSur) is currently not supported?
>>> (This would give users the chance to wait with the update of MacOS to version 11.0).
>>>

>>> Sorry, my point of view is only that of a supporter who supports users day by day  (voluntarily in the community and professionally), I can't assess the technical problems, but unfortunately I see that the current situation is damaging our reputation.
>>>

>>> greetings,
>>> Jörg

RE: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

I have not claimed anything to the contrary.

Other "apps" are not our job, but our job is to do a good job for AOO and currently informing the users would be part of the good job.

Jörg

RE: How should we proceed with BigSur? (was: Does AOO 4.1.8 run under macOS Big Sur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

Oh, sorry, I thought your reply was referring to the other thread (="Addition in release notes because of Big Sur").

Jörg