How to open docs

Tony Seidel
I have several documents created 10 years ago etc. with Open Office. Now i’m using Open Office 4.1.7 and can’t open these documents (example below). Any suggestions?

Tony Seidel, Bend, OR

Re: How to open docs

Julian Thomas

> On Apr 4, 2020, at 11:56, Tony Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have several documents created 10 years ago etc. with Open Office. Now i’m using Open Office 4.1.7 and can’t open these documents (example below). Any suggestions?

there was no 'below' and you don’t tell us what OS you are using, but it is likely that you have lost your file associations.  Try opening OO and then selecting one of the documents to open.  The best result is that it will open; if it cusses at you and claims that it is an unknown format, someone else here may be able to help better than I.  I can’t find anything that old on this computer to test.

HTH

 ----
Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net

‌When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. - Lin Yutang‌  ‌

‌‌‌

Re: How to open docs

Dan Lewis
Tony is not subscribed to this mailing list, so I have sent him a Cc so
he can see what Julian wrote.

Is it possible that  these documents are .sxw files? Or was the :w"
replaced with another letter? If so, the format for these documents
predate the open document format such as .odt, .odc, odb, etc. I do not
know if the latest versions of Open Office will read the .sxw or similar
files. Perhaps someone else knows.

This mailing list strips all attachments, so no one saw your example.
Also, when you answer my questions, make sure that you sent it to
[hidden email] and NOT to me personally.

Dan

On 4/4/20 16:04, Julian Thomas wrote:

>> On Apr 4, 2020, at 11:56, Tony Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have several documents created 10 years ago etc. with Open Office. Now i’m using Open Office 4.1.7 and can’t open these documents (example below). Any suggestions?
> there was no 'below' and you don’t tell us what OS you are using, but it is likely that you have lost your file associations.  Try opening OO and then selecting one of the documents to open.  The best result is that it will open; if it cusses at you and claims that it is an unknown format, someone else here may be able to help better than I.  I can’t find anything that old on this computer to test.
>
> HTH
>
>   ----
> Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net
>

> ‌When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. - Lin Yutang‌  ‌
>

> ‌‌‌

Re: How to open docs

Peter Kovacs-3
The special Star Office Format has been removed. sxw document filter
does still exist in 4.1.7