How to open new documents

alvins-2
Dear Sir/ Madam,

I tried again and managed to download it. Only now I am not able to read any new text documents. There was a question that I had to answer while downloading it that said something like: "Would you like OpenOffice to open certain programs for you?" and "If you are only trying it out, you can leave these boxes unticked." I have a Windows XP program in our computer, I didn't want the Windows XP program to be disabled with certain programs so I left the boxes unticked; I'm wondering now if I did the right thing or if there is something else that I need to do to be able to just make new text documents and start typing letters and spreadsheets etc.

Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Mrs. Renske Hogan
[hidden email]