How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Hung Mark
Hi

I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.0 ( Windows 7 with traditional Chinese ).
When I enter lots of text in a cell in Calc so that it excess the
height of a page, it overlaps with the page footer. How do I prevent
it? Thanks.

Calc Very long text overlap with page footer.ods (16K) Download Attachment

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Brian Barker
At 23:34 11/06/2014 +0800, Hung Mark wrote:
>I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.0 ( Windows 7 with traditional Chinese ).
>When I enter lots of text in a cell in Calc so that it excess the
>height of a page, it overlaps with the page footer.

I'm not sure what you are hoping to happen here. Surely the nature of
a spreadsheet - usually containing values, whether they be numbers,
text, etc, to be processed - is that you would not want a single cell
to be split across pages. If a multi-line cell would otherwise be
split across pages, it is moved wholesale to the next page, but that
cannot solve the problem if, as you have contrived, a single cell
exceeds the page length.

>How do I prevent it?

o Change the font size.
o Go to Format | Cells... | Alignment | Properties, remove the tick
from "Wrap text automatically", and tick "Shrink to fit cell size".
o Distribute the material between two cells.
o Use a text (Writer) document instead. A table may be useful.
o Use a spreadsheet but transfer the material to a text document for
final formatting.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Hung Mark
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the advices, but I expect that textflow to stop before  the
page footer and start from next page instead of covering over the page
number. That's what I'm asking for help.
I use it in a way as a form to collect opinions from other people and
append new text. ( like issue tracking ) I believe this is not an unusual
case of spreadsheet usage and using writer arise other inconvenience
despite it solves formatting problem.
2014/6/12 上午12:42 於 "Brian Barker" <[hidden email]> 寫道:

> At 23:34 11/06/2014 +0800, Hung Mark wrote:
>
>> I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.0 ( Windows 7 with traditional Chinese ). When I
>> enter lots of text in a cell in Calc so that it excess the height of a
>> page, it overlaps with the page footer.
>>

> I'm not sure what you are hoping to happen here. Surely the nature of a
> spreadsheet - usually containing values, whether they be numbers, text,
> etc, to be processed - is that you would not want a single cell to be split
> across pages. If a multi-line cell would otherwise be split across pages,
> it is moved wholesale to the next page, but that cannot solve the problem
> if, as you have contrived, a single cell exceeds the page length.
>
>  How do I prevent it?
>>

> o Change the font size.
> o Go to Format | Cells... | Alignment | Properties, remove the tick from
> "Wrap text automatically", and tick "Shrink to fit cell size".
> o Distribute the material between two cells.
> o Use a text (Writer) document instead. A table may be useful.
> o Use a spreadsheet but transfer the material to a text document for final
> formatting.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Martin Groenescheij

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 12 Jun 2014, at 4:02 am, Hung Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Thank you for the advices, but I expect that textflow to stop before  the
> page footer and start from next page instead of covering over the page
> number. That's what I'm asking for help.

You can,t fill a  10 liter bucket with 11 liter water.

> I use it in a way as a form to collect opinions from other people and
> append new text. ( like issue tracking ) I believe this is not an unusual
> case of spreadsheet usage

Yes it is unusual, what you try to do is driving a screw in the wall wit a hamer.

> and using writer arise other inconvenience
> despite it solves formatting problem.
>> 2014/6/12 上午12:42 於 "Brian Barker" <[hidden email]> 寫道:
>>
>> At 23:34 11/06/2014 +0800, Hung Mark wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.0 ( Windows 7 with traditional Chinese ). When I
>>> enter lots of text in a cell in Calc so that it excess the height of a
>>> page, it overlaps with the page footer.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you are hoping to happen here. Surely the nature of a
>> spreadsheet - usually containing values, whether they be numbers, text,
>> etc, to be processed - is that you would not want a single cell to be split
>> across pages. If a multi-line cell would otherwise be split across pages,
>> it is moved wholesale to the next page, but that cannot solve the problem
>> if, as you have contrived, a single cell exceeds the page length.
>>
>> How do I prevent it?
>>
>> o Change the font size.
>> o Go to Format | Cells... | Alignment | Properties, remove the tick from
>> "Wrap text automatically", and tick "Shrink to fit cell size".
>> o Distribute the material between two cells.
>> o Use a text (Writer) document instead. A table may be useful.
>> o Use a spreadsheet but transfer the material to a text document for final
>> formatting.
>>
>> I trust this helps.
>>
>> Brian Barker

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Rochelle
If this forum is to be a meaningful source of shared knowledge, no matter
what skill level or ability the poster has, there must be respect and and
decorum.  If a poster has a question to ask, there may be many others
seeking the same or similar solution.

If you can't contribute to the body of knowledge, then don't reply at all.

Allowing such remarks is off putting to others, enough to prevent someone
from future contributions or asking of help.

​IMHO,​

Rochelle

On 12-6-2014 11:39, Rochelle wrote:
> If this forum is to be a meaningful source of shared knowledge, no matter
> what skill level or ability the poster has, there must be respect and and
> decorum.  If a poster has a question to ask, there may be many others
> seeking the same or similar solution.
The poster got an decent answer from Brian Barker but he _insisted_ to
use a spreadsheet for something it is not designed for.
All I wanted to make clear is that you can't go outside of the
specification without consequences.

> If you can't contribute to the body of knowledge, then don't reply at all.
My contribution here is to help the poster to see that his request is
unreasonable, but if you have a solution feel free to share it with us.

> Allowing such remarks is off putting to others, enough to prevent someone
> from future contributions or asking of help.
>

> IMHO,
>
> Rochelle
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Martin Groenescheij <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Sent from my mobile device.
>>
>>> On 12 Jun 2014, at 4:02 am, Hung Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the advices, but I expect that textflow to stop before  the
>>> page footer and start from next page instead of covering over the page
>>> number. That's what I'm asking for help.
>> You can,t fill a  10 liter bucket with 11 liter water.
>>
>>> I use it in a way as a form to collect opinions from other people and
>>> append new text. ( like issue tracking ) I believe this is not an unusual
>>> case of spreadsheet usage
>> Yes it is unusual, what you try to do is driving a screw in the wall wit a
>> hamer.
>>
>>> and using writer arise other inconvenience
>>> despite it solves formatting problem.

>> When I
>> split
>> pages,
>> problem

>> final

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

John Hart-2
On 6/11/2014 6:39 PM, Rochelle wrote:

> If this forum is to be a meaningful source of shared knowledge, no matter
> what skill level or ability the poster has, there must be respect and and
> decorum.  If a poster has a question to ask, there may be many others
> seeking the same or similar solution.
>
> If you can't contribute to the body of knowledge, then don't reply at all.
>
> Allowing such remarks is off putting to others, enough to prevent someone
> from future contributions or asking of help.
>

> ​IMHO,​
>
> Rochelle

I agree. When a question is asked, no matter how lame it appears, a
snide response is the worst thing one can do.

jhr

At 02:02 12/06/2014 +0800, Hung Mark wrote:
>Thank you for the advices, but I expect that textflow to stop before
>the page footer and start from next page instead of covering over
>the page number. That's what I'm asking for help.

Indeed - but that's expecting spreadsheet cells to divide across page
breaks, and that really goes against the idea of each cell being an
integral item.

>I use it in a way as a form to collect opinions from other people
>and append new text. ( like issue tracking ) I believe this is not
>an unusual case of spreadsheet usage ...

I'd guess it probably was unusual.

>... and using writer arise other inconvenience despite it solves
>formatting problem.

I wonder what those inconveniences are. Do they apply if you use a
Writer table much as you are currently using a spreadsheet? After
all, that's also a regular array of cells - just one without (most
of) the calculation facilities.

Brian Barker

At 15:39 11/06/2014 -1000, Rochelle Noname wrote:
>If this forum is to be a meaningful source of shared knowledge, no
>matter what skill level or ability the poster has, there must be
>respect and decorum.  If a poster has a question to ask, there may
>be many others seeking the same or similar solution. If you can't
>contribute to the body of knowledge, then don't reply at all.
>Allowing such remarks is off putting to others, enough to prevent
>someone from future contributions or asking of help.

What you say is, of course, entirely true. But I suggest it's
misplaced. Mr Groenescheij can speak for himself - indeed, he already
has - but are you right to castigate him for writing either "You
can't fill a 10 liter bucket with 11 liter water" or "what you try to
do is driving a screw in the wall with a hammer"? These expression
are surely perfectly sensible metaphors meaning respectively "You are
attempting the impossible" and "You are using the wrong tool for the
task", both respectable opinions - and notably directed at the
questioner's technique, not personally at the questioner himself.

If someone is making his own life difficult by using an inappropriate
tool for a task, there is no disrespect in pointing this out. Indeed,
it is a kindness and a courtesy to do so. Questioners should
appreciate that no disrespect is meant and consider the possibility
that they might go about their task another way. (It remains their
choice, of course.) You mention that others may be seeking a solution
to a similar problem; they too, of course, may equally be helped by
such advice.

But you are completely right about the need for "respect and decorum".

Brian Barker

At 16:05 12/06/2014 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>When a question is asked, no matter how lame it appears, a snide
>response is the worst thing one can do.

Again, that's entirely true - but you are guilty of applying the
principle inappropriately. (And the question was not lame, nor - I
suggest - did it appear so.)

Mr Groenescheij's "You can't fill a 10 liter bucket with 11 liter
water" is surely a variation on "you can't get a quart into a pint
pot", which Oxford Dictionaries defines as "British proverb: You
cannot achieve the impossible" - and makes no suggestion of
impropriety. And "what you try to do is driving a screw in the wall
with a hammer" is surely a pithy but acceptable way to say "You would
be better off with a different - and the correct - tool"? Advising a
questioner to use an alternative technique is constructive and
helpful - and not at all malicious.

But yes: you are quite right about not being snide.

Brian Barker

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Andrea Pescetti-2
Brian Barker wrote:
> Mr Groenescheij can speak for himself - indeed, he already has - but are
> you right to castigate him for writing either "You can't fill a 10 liter
> bucket with 11 liter water" or "what you try to do is driving a screw in
> the wall with a hammer"? These expression are surely perfectly sensible
> metaphors

Sure, I see nothing wrong either. Metaphors can be easily misunderstood.
But the reply was surely not meant to be offensive.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Jesse Lafian
yo. unsubscribe me please. this shit is super annoying.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Brian Barker wrote:
>
>> Mr Groenescheij can speak for himself - indeed, he already has - but are
>> you right to castigate him for writing either "You can't fill a 10 liter
>> bucket with 11 liter water" or "what you try to do is driving a screw in
>> the wall with a hammer"? These expression are surely perfectly sensible
>> metaphors
>>

> Sure, I see nothing wrong either. Metaphors can be easily misunderstood.
> But the reply was surely not meant to be offensive.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Jim McLaughlin
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Jesse Lafian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> yo. unsubscribe me please. this shit is super annoying.

*To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> *

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

Andrew Pitonyak
Jesse,

Instructions to unsubscribe are included in the bottom of the email to
which you replied I will repeat them here

Send an email to

[hidden email]

That should do it. If not, then send an email to the list with text in
the subject line that reads something like "failed to unsubscribe". Then
again, a moderator may have already handled it for you.

On 06/13/2014 07:45 PM, Jesse Lafian wrote:

> yo. unsubscribe me please. this shit is super annoying.
>

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Brian Barker wrote:
>>
>>> Mr Groenescheij can speak for himself - indeed, he already has - but are
>>> you right to castigate him for writing either "You can't fill a 10 liter
>>> bucket with 11 liter water" or "what you try to do is driving a screw in
>>> the wall with a hammer"? These expression are surely perfectly sensible
>>> metaphors
>>>
>> Sure, I see nothing wrong either. Metaphors can be easily misunderstood.
>> But the reply was surely not meant to be offensive.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.

Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

johnny smith
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:02:13 -0000, Hung Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> using writer arise other inconvenience
> despite it solves formatting problem

you can make the table in calc and copy-paste it to writer each time before printing through 'edit - past special - dde link'. in writer splitting rows between pages is a trivial task. as far as i know, formatting has never been the strongest side of spreadsheet editors.

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

許哲崇
Design a good form is not as easy as you think.
You need examples and advice from good form designers.

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:02:13 -0000, Hung Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  using writer arise other inconvenience
>> despite it solves formatting problem
>>

> you can make the table in calc and copy-paste it to writer each time
> before printing through 'edit - past special - dde link'. in writer
> splitting rows between pages is a trivial task. as far as i know,
> formatting has never been the strongest side of spreadsheet editors.

Re: How to prevent very long text in a cell overlap the footer in Calc?

許哲崇
You can design your form by pen and paper first.
Write sensible text so we know your intention.
We can suggest better tools.