How to resolve a problem in Open Office

SOUNDARAM PADMANABHAN
Hi
I would like to ask one question regarding the problem faced by me by using Open Office.
Due to sudden power disruption, a particular document in the Office program is not opening.
The following message appears - Document locked for editing.
When I open the particular document the following message pops up  - Recovery failed.
Question - How to remove or solve the problem - Document locked for editing?
Is there any simple way to solve the issue?
Moreover, I cannot save a new document with the same file name even after I delete thedocument from my system. Any suggestions - as to how to solve this problem.?
Regards
S. PadmanabhanMobile Number : 81972 41964

Re: How to resolve a problem in Open Office

Keith N. McKenna
SOUNDARAM PADMANABHAN wrote:

> Hi
> I would like to ask one question regarding the problem faced by me by using Open Office.
> Due to sudden power disruption, a particular document in the Office program is not opening.
> The following message appears - Document locked for editing.
> When I open the particular document the following message pops up  - Recovery failed.
> Question - How to remove or solve the problem - Document locked for editing?
> Is there any simple way to solve the issue?
> Moreover, I cannot save a new document with the same file name even after I delete thedocument from my system. Any suggestions - as to how to solve this problem.?
> Regards
> S. PadmanabhanMobile Number : 81972 41964

Soundaram;

Apache OpenOffice (AOO) uses a technique called file locking to prevent
the file being opened with write access by multiple instances of
OpenOffice processes. It does this by creating a temporary lock file
when the file is opened, and then deleting it when the document is
closed. The power failure interrupted the normal process flow and caused
the lock file to be left behind thus causing AOO to believe the file is
locked. To remove the lock file manually, navigate to the folder or
directory where the document resides; there should be a file called
.locknnn where nnn is the name of the document you want to open. Once
you delete that file AOO should be able to open your document again with
no problems.

Please reply only to the mailing list and not my personal address.

Regards
Keith

--
Keith N. McKenna, p/OSB

Re: How to resolve a problem in Open Office

zahra a
hi.
i have an important question in this regard.
is it possible to set openoffice to dont create a lock file?
its very annoying for me in using libreoffice openoffice.

On 6/27/16, Keith N. McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SOUNDARAM PADMANABHAN wrote:
>> Hi
>> I would like to ask one question regarding the problem faced by me by
>> using Open Office.
>> Due to sudden power disruption, a particular document in the Office
>> program is not opening.
>> The following message appears - Document locked for editing.
>> When I open the particular document the following message pops up  -
>> Recovery failed.
>> Question - How to remove or solve the problem - Document locked for
>> editing?
>> Is there any simple way to solve the issue?
>> Moreover, I cannot save a new document with the same file name even after
>> I delete thedocument from my system. Any suggestions - as to how to solve
>> this problem.?
>> Regards
>> S. PadmanabhanMobile Number : 81972 41964
>>

> Soundaram;
>
> Apache OpenOffice (AOO) uses a technique called file locking to prevent
> the file being opened with write access by multiple instances of
> OpenOffice processes. It does this by creating a temporary lock file
> when the file is opened, and then deleting it when the document is
> closed. The power failure interrupted the normal process flow and caused
> the lock file to be left behind thus causing AOO to believe the file is
> locked. To remove the lock file manually, navigate to the folder or
> directory where the document resides; there should be a file called
> .locknnn where nnn is the name of the document you want to open. Once
> you delete that file AOO should be able to open your document again with
> no problems.
>
> Please reply only to the mailing list and not my personal address.
>
> Regards
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith N. McKenna, p/OSB

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Re: How to resolve a [supposed] problem in Open Office

Brian Barker
At 10:48 10/07/2016 +0430, Nasrin Khaksar wrote:
>is it possible to set openoffice to don't create a lock file?

I hope not.

>it's very annoying for me in using libreoffice openoffice.

I hesitate to say so, but this is an excellent example of how not to
ask for help. Lock files provide a useful purpose in preventing
simultaneous editing in two instances of the program and consequent
update races. Since the lock files are hidden files, they generally
do their work invisibly and in a trouble-free fashion. Nothing could
be so obviously helpful and so obviously *not* annoying!

If you do find the lock files annoying, there must be some reason -
and anyone helping you would need to know what this is. Then that
different underlying problem might be solved.

o If you find that you cannot open a document file for editing
because the lock file still exists, the document or program must have
terminated abnormally. If you finish editing sessions by pulling the
plug on your computer (and I don't imagine for a minute that you do
this, of course), then the solution is simply to learn to use your
computer and its software correctly. If the lock file exists because
the program crashed, you will want to investigate your computer
hardware, your installation of OpenOffice, or perhaps a specific
document causing the problem. Once you have corrected any problem,
lock files will no longer annoy.

o You will have difficulty if you do not have permission to create or
perhaps modify files in the folder containing your documents. But you
will want such permissions in any folder in which you need to save
edited copies of documents, and the solution is either to obtain
those permissions or else to move your documents to folders in which
you do have those permissions.

It's just possible, of course, that once you understand the useful
service being provided by the lock files, you could find them less annoying.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: How to resolve a problem in Open Office

jonathon-3
On 10/07/2016 06:18, nasrin khaksar wrote:

> is it possible to set openoffice to dont create a lock file?

What is the use case for not creating a lock file?

jonathon

N R

Re: How to resolve a problem in Open Office

N R
Hi
I suppose this article will help you to multi-open a file, why else you
want to loose lock file:
http://www.oooninja.com/2008/04/shared-calc-spreadsheets-documents.html
Hope this is helpful.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 8:15 AM, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/07/2016 06:18, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>
> > is it possible to set openoffice to dont create a lock file?
>
> What is the use case for not creating a lock file?
>
> jonathon

Re: How to resolve a problem in Open Office

zahra a
hi.
thanks for your article and help.
i use windows xp and i want to dont have any lock file in my system.
i dont know how can explane in english, but i am the only user of my
laptop and also, i dont have any private document.
i dont want to have lock files, (specially sometimes they are not
deleted by default, after finishing my work).
thanks so much again and God bless you all.

On 7/11/16, N R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I suppose this article will help you to multi-open a file, why else you
> want to loose lock file:
> http://www.oooninja.com/2008/04/shared-calc-spreadsheets-documents.html
> Hope this is helpful.
>

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 8:15 AM, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 10/07/2016 06:18, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>>
>> > is it possible to set openoffice to dont create a lock file?
>>
>> What is the use case for not creating a lock file?
>>
>> jonathon

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Re: How to resolve a problem in Open Office

M Henri Day

> hi.
> thanks for your article and help.
> i use windows xp and i want to dont have any lock file in my system.
> i dont know how can explane in english, but i am the only user of my
> laptop and also, i dont have any private document.
> i dont want to have lock files, (specially sometimes they are not
> deleted by default, after finishing my work).
> thanks so much again and God bless you all.

​<...>

Nasrin, excuse my butting in, but you do realise that by continuing to run
Windows XP while connected to the internet, you are using an operating
system that has not been patched in more than two years and therewith must
be regarded as extremely insecure ? Under these circumstances, it might be
wise to use the File Lock system​

​to provide some semblance of security for your documents, however
illusory.....

Henri

RE: How to resolve a problem in Open Office

Dennis E. Hamilton
Nasrin,

Thank you for describing your specific situation.

If a lock file is retained after you have closed a document, it means that the document was not saved properly or completely.  This could be a result of shutting down OpenOffice too quickly.  The lock file is also protection against you attempting to open a document that is already open by you.

It is possible to delete a lock file in order for OpenOffice to open the document again.  Do you require advice on how to find and delete the lock file?

 - Dennis

[ ... ]