How to set up 2 A5 pages to print on 1 A4 sheet

How to set up 2 A5 pages to print on 1 A4 sheet

Paul Collins
I need to type set and print 2 x A5 pages in a document file onto a single sheet of A4 paper.
  - this shows
 the back cover (text left justified) of an A5 size pamphlet
 with the front cover (containing an inserted picture with text being centred inside the line drawing insertion. being centre justified.
 The contents of the pamphlet will consist of 2 additional A5 sized pages of text - both left justified to be printed on the blank side after initial
back cover /front cover printing.

I cannot find how to perform this set up from the open document work space.

I cannot work out how to set the page orientation to landscape rather than default portrait (upright) orientation. Further, I cannot find how to set the document size to A5.

I am grateful for advice fellow AOO users may be able to suggest.

I am running AOO 4.1.3 on iMac.

Sincerely, ranger1.

Re: How to set up 2 A5 pages to print on 1 A4 sheet

Brian Barker
At 15:27 27/09/2017 +1000, Paul Ranger wrote:
>I need to type set and print 2 x A5 pages in a document file onto a
>single sheet of A4 paper.
>The contents of the pamphlet will consist of 2 additional A5 sized
>pages of text - both left justified to be printed on the blank side
>after initial back cover /front cover printing.

So you actually want to print *four* A5 pages on two-sided A4.

>I cannot find how to perform this set up from the open document work space.

Try a "brochure".

>I cannot work out how to set the page orientation to landscape
>rather than default portrait (upright) orientation. Further, I
>cannot find how to set the document size to A5.

I'm surprised you cannot find this in either the built-in help text
or the documentation.

You may be suffering from Microsoftitis. Microsoft Office products -
such as Word - treat page size and orientation as printer properties.
OpenOffice treats them instead as aspects of page formatting (which I
happen to think is more sensible). So go to Format | Page... | Page
and set the page size and orientation there. But you don't want your
*page* orientation to be landscape, in fact: those A5 pages are in
portrait orientation. It's the A4 *paper* that needs to be in
landscape orientation..

OpenOffice will arrange what you need automatically:
o Set your document to have A5 pages in portrait orientation.
o Create the document normally - all four pages *sequentially*.
o Go to File | Printer Settings... | Properties... and set your
printer to use A4 paper in landscape orientation.
o Go to Tools | Options... | OpenOffice Writer | Print | Pages and
tick Brochure. (Alternatively you can select this in the print
dialogue at File | Print... | Options... | Page Layout | Layout | Brochure.)
o Print the document double-sided on A4 paper (automatically or
manually as necessary).
OpenOffice will print pages 4 and 1 on one side of the paper and 2
and 3 on the other.

In fact, the brochure facility is even cleverer: if your document
contains more than four pages, they will be distributed across more
than one sheet of paper such that you can fold the resulting stack to
create a brochure containing an arbitrary number of pages.

>I am running AOO 4.1.3 on iMac.

Then you'll have to translate Tools | Options... to OpenOffice |
Preferences, of course.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker