Hyphen should be forwarded to spellchecker

12

Re: Hyphen should be forwarded to spellchecker

Per Eriksson-2
Hello,

Thomas Lange skrev:

> Hi Per,
>>

>> Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg skrev:
>>> The OOo breakiterator does not know about dictionaries. Thus it will
>>> always include the hyphens now as part of the word.
>>>
>>> (The only dictionaries that are implicitly known by the breakiterator
>>> are the hyphenation dictionaries. This is because the breakiterator is
>>> used by the layout to determine the position for line-breaking. And to
>>> do that it uses the regular hyphenation component to get this done.
>>> But still, even for this task the word boundaries are obtained without
>>> looking at any dictionary content.
>>
>> So the breakiterator will not read the affix file read the WORDCHARS
>> directive? It will always be on?
> Correct. The breakiterator never did that. The new behavior is only
> about hyphens/dashes.
> Is there a problem with that?

We would like it to read the WORDCHARS directive, to make sure if the
dictionary is ready to support this feature, as our current dictionary
does not support this new feature and you must use the correct version
of OOo 3 and the correct version of our dictionary. Reading the affix
file would solve this. Is there any way of fixing this?

Best
Per

Re: Hyphen should be forwarded to spellchecker

Niklas Johansson-2
I think it could be a good idea to forward some of the comments from
Göran Andersson the main developer of the Swedish spellchecker. I hope I
don't mess anything up in my translation. ;-)

"To conclude: I don't think that OOo should go from never seeing hyphens
to always forcing it to, it should look it up in the affix-file (or
rather call some function in the hunspell-DLL) to know which characters
that should be forwarded to the spellchecker. There are also other
characters that could be interesting, like numbers."

Personally I think that the possibility to specify WORDCHARS in hunspell
should be the goal. This would favor that more languages who could
benefit from this function actually implements it, maybe not today but
in the future. If we force the hyphen to be forwarded to the
spellchecker it will definitely be harder to develop an alternative
dictionary, like a lightweight dictionary or whatever.

I hope that OOo can look up these configurations in the affix-file in
the future, but if not than at least add the possibility to turn the
function on/off under Tools – Options – Language Settings – Writing Aids
– Options.

Regards
Niklas

> Hello,
>
> Thomas Lange skrev:
>> Hi Per,

>>> So the breakiterator will not read the affix file read the WORDCHARS
>>> directive? It will always be on?
>> Correct. The breakiterator never did that. The new behavior is only
>> about hyphens/dashes.
>> Is there a problem with that?
>
> We would like it to read the WORDCHARS directive, to make sure if the
> dictionary is ready to support this feature, as our current dictionary
> does not support this new feature and you must use the correct version
> of OOo 3 and the correct version of our dictionary. Reading the affix
> file would solve this. Is there any way of fixing this?
>
> Best
> Per

Re: Hyphen should be forwarded to spellchecker

Per Eriksson-2
Hi Niklas,

Niklas Johansson skrev:

> "To conclude: I don't think that OOo should go from never seeing
> hyphens to always forcing it to, it should look it up in the
> affix-file (or rather call some function in the hunspell-DLL) to know
> which characters that should be forwarded to the spellchecker. There
> are also other characters that could be interesting, like numbers."
>

> Personally I think that the possibility to specify WORDCHARS in
> hunspell should be the goal. This would favor that more languages who
> could benefit from this function actually implements it, maybe not
> today but in the future. If we force the hyphen to be forwarded to the
> spellchecker it will definitely be harder to develop an alternative
> dictionary, like a lightweight dictionary or whatever.

Thanks for adding Görans opinions :)

Per

12