I AM WITH OOo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I AM WITH OOo

Ramon Sole
Hi *,

there's lots of discussions about TDF and OOo on the lists those days.

I saw that some people in TDF talk as if the "Community" were now TDF,
and OOo were just Oracle employees. That's not true at all.

I don't work for Oracle, and I intend to keep contributing on my best
effort to OpenOffice.org. And I am conviced there's lot of people who
don't work for Oracle and they're going to keep in OOo, just because
they think it's best for them, for the project, maybe thay don't like
how things are going in TDF those first weeks, or whatever else.

Furthermore, most developers are going to keep their contributions in
OOo. Oracle is paying 80% of the developers of OpenOffice, just for that
reason we can think they won't switch and at least 80% of developers
will remain. Some independent developers don't intend to move either.
More, I think Oracle is going to support OOo, not because their
altruism, but just because I think Oracle wants a strong OOo community
for its business.

Anyway OOo is going to lose some of their members, so I think it's a
good time to show that a lot of people who are not involved with Oracle
is not going to switch to the TDF and we will keep our support to OOo.
We need to make clear OpenOffice.org is much more than just Oracle.

OpenOffice.org is the best alternative to MS Office and getting its
current market share was just a dream 5 years ago. People who has
developed such application, mostly, are and will be in OpenOffice.org.

So, I am with OpenOffice.org. I hope I wasn't the only one. :-)

Greetings,

Ra

PS: Don't conclude from my message that I'm against TDF. I sincerily
hope the fork had a good product in the future. But I think they have a
hard way ahead. They will need a strong support from Novell, Red Hat and
others, much stronger than the support those companys have yield to OOo
before. And they will need to hire a lot of good programmers, let me
doubt if they will get that, as that means a lot of money.






---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I AM WITH OOo

David B Teague-3
  Hi All:

For my part, I will continue to use OO.o and make my
(necessarily limited) contributions to the OO.o community.
But I intend to "keep my powder dry."  I wish the TDF the
absolute best, for I think they have the best of
intentions.  I am THRILLED with OO.o and HAPPY about TDF.

Incidentally I am disappointed that Abiword isn't still out
there with its at-one-time wonderful package. They had a lot
of word processor firsts, but loss of their corporate
sponsor hurt them.

Consequently, I am just not certain where the best for my
favorite productivity suite lies.

With the best wishes for both TDF and OO.o
David Teague
I am NOT an Oracle employee.

On 10/19/2010 6:28 PM, Ramon Sole wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> there's lots of discussions about TDF and OOo on the lists those days.
>
> I saw that some people in TDF talk as if the "Community" were now TDF,
> and OOo were just Oracle employees. That's not true at all.
>
> I don't work for Oracle, and I intend to keep contributing on my best effort to OpenOffice.org. And I am conviced there's lot of people who don't work for Oracle and they're going to keep in OOo, just because
> they think it's best for them, for the project, maybe thay don't like
> how things are going in TDF those first weeks, or whatever else.
> <SNIP>




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I AM WITH OOo

Cor Nouws
In reply to this post by Ramon Sole
Hi Ramon,

Ramon Sole wrote (20-10-10 00:28)
> there's lots of discussions about TDF and OOo on the lists those days.
>
> I saw that some people in TDF talk as if the "Community" were now TDF,
> and OOo were just Oracle employees. That's not true at all.
> [...]

I fully understand what you write and of course it is best that you
join/stay where you feel most comfortable.
But there is no need to worry about the Document Foundation ;-)
Concerns that you mention, have been thought about. It is obvious that
time is needed to start everything, but this all is done that the
foundation is the only way to make a broader, larger community behind
'OpenOffice.org'. (And if you don't mind, I won't start to repeat here
why I feel that way.)
So somewhere, sometime, we'll meet :-)

Kind regards,
Cor


> I don't work for Oracle, and I intend to keep contributing on my best
> effort to OpenOffice.org. And I am conviced there's lot of people who
> don't work for Oracle and they're going to keep in OOo, just because
> they think it's best for them, for the project, maybe thay don't like
> how things are going in TDF those first weeks, or whatever else.
>
> Furthermore, most developers are going to keep their contributions in
> OOo. Oracle is paying 80% of the developers of OpenOffice, just for that
> reason we can think they won't switch and at least 80% of developers
> will remain. Some independent developers don't intend to move either.
> More, I think Oracle is going to support OOo, not because their
> altruism, but just because I think Oracle wants a strong OOo community
> for its business.
>
> Anyway OOo is going to lose some of their members, so I think it's a
> good time to show that a lot of people who are not involved with Oracle
> is not going to switch to the TDF and we will keep our support to OOo.
> We need to make clear OpenOffice.org is much more than just Oracle.
>
> OpenOffice.org is the best alternative to MS Office and getting its
> current market share was just a dream 5 years ago. People who has
> developed such application, mostly, are and will be in OpenOffice.org.
>
> So, I am with OpenOffice.org. I hope I wasn't the only one. :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ra
>
> PS: Don't conclude from my message that I'm against TDF. I sincerily
> hope the fork had a good product in the future. But I think they have a
> hard way ahead. They will need a strong support from Novell, Red Hat and
> others, much stronger than the support those companys have yield to OOo
> before. And they will need to hire a lot of good programmers, let me
> doubt if they will get that, as that means a lot of money.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
  - giving openoffice.org its foundation :: The Document Foundation -
  - ideas/remarks for the community council? See
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I AM WITH OOo

Simon Brouwer
In reply to this post by Ramon Sole
Hi Ramon,

Op 20-10-2010 0:28, Ramon Sole schreef:

> Hi *,
>
> there's lots of discussions about TDF and OOo on the lists those days.
>
> I saw that some people in TDF talk as if the "Community" were now TDF,
> and OOo were just Oracle employees. That's not true at all.
>
> I don't work for Oracle, and I intend to keep contributing on my best
> effort to OpenOffice.org. And I am conviced there's lot of people who
> don't work for Oracle and they're going to keep in OOo, just because
> they think it's best for them, for the project, maybe thay don't like
> how things are going in TDF those first weeks, or whatever else.
>
> Furthermore, most developers are going to keep their contributions in
> OOo. Oracle is paying 80% of the developers of OpenOffice, just for that
> reason we can think they won't switch and at least 80% of developers
> will remain. Some independent developers don't intend to move either.
> More, I think Oracle is going to support OOo, not because their
> altruism, but just because I think Oracle wants a strong OOo community
> for its business.
>
> Anyway OOo is going to lose some of their members, so I think it's a
> good time to show that a lot of people who are not involved with Oracle
> is not going to switch to the TDF and we will keep our support to OOo.
> We need to make clear OpenOffice.org is much more than just Oracle.
>
> OpenOffice.org is the best alternative to MS Office and getting its
> current market share was just a dream 5 years ago. People who has
> developed such application, mostly, are and will be in OpenOffice.org.
>
> So, I am with OpenOffice.org. I hope I wasn't the only one. :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ra
>
> PS: Don't conclude from my message that I'm against TDF. I sincerily
> hope the fork had a good product in the future. But I think they have a
> hard way ahead. They will need a strong support from Novell, Red Hat and
> others, much stronger than the support those companys have yield to OOo
> before. And they will need to hire a lot of good programmers, let me
> doubt if they will get that, as that means a lot of money.

You're certainly not the only one! I see it the same way. The continued
success of the OpenOffice.org software
is my first concern and at least in the foreseeable future I don't see
that happening with TDF. Hopefully
we can work within the OpenOffice.org community on resolving the
problems that led to the dissent, find ways to
cooperate with TDF, and maybe ultimately merge the community back again.


--
Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.

| http://nl.openoffice.org | http://www.opentaal.org |


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I AM WITH OOo

Cor Nouws
Hi Simon,

Simon Brouwer wrote (20-10-10 07:42)

> You're certainly not the only one! I see it the same way. The continued
> success of the OpenOffice.org software is my first concern and at least
> in the foreseeable future I don't see  that happening with TDF.
> Hopefully we can work within the OpenOffice.org community on resolving the
> problems that led to the dissent,

When you are that optimistic, it looks as if you have very little idea
of what really happened last years. (And this writes me, who is not
giving up easily ..)
But then again: the foundation is started from the very ground that a
level playing field will yield best result with mutual interest. Well,
you know why it is important.
As written: not all will be in perfect place right from the start, so I
am with you that we need to be patient.

Kind Regards,
Cor

--
  - giving openoffice.org its foundation :: The Document Foundation -
  - ideas/remarks for the community council? See
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I AM WITH OOo

twayne at twaynesdomain
In reply to this post by Ramon Sole
In news:[hidden email],
Ramon Sole <[hidden email]> typed:

> Hi *,
>
> there's lots of discussions about TDF and OOo on the lists
> those days.
>
> I saw that some people in TDF talk as if the "Community"
> were now TDF, and OOo were just Oracle employees. That's
> not true at all.
>
> I don't work for Oracle, and I intend to keep contributing

...
>
> Anyway OOo is going to lose some of their members, so I
> think it's a good time to show that a lot of people who are
> not involved with Oracle is not going to switch to the TDF
> and we will keep our support to OOo. We need to make clear
> OpenOffice.org is much more than just Oracle.

...

> So, I am with OpenOffice.org. I hope I wasn't the only one.
> :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ra
>
> PS: Don't conclude from my message that I'm against TDF. I
> sincerily hope the fork had a good product in the future.
> But I think they have a hard way ahead. They will need a
> strong support from Novell, Red Hat and others, much
> stronger than the support those companys have yield to OOo
> before. And they will need to hire a lot of good
> programmers, let me doubt if they will get that, as that
> means a lot of money.


Thanks for the post: I've been trying to follow this saga and sort some of
it out, even having subscribed to TDF and LibreO groups. I have a lot of
questions that only seem to have the vaguest of answers available but I've
refrained from asking the questions yet because there's a lot of dust to
settle out from the looks of the TDF and Libre groups. The snip below is
from ZDNet and seems to at least intimate that Oracle is going to pull OOo
completely in under its own wing. I've seen rumblings of the same thing at
Oracle but nothing, including this SDNet snip have any "dependable" data.
I'm not even sure, for instance, whether the CMS they mention is about the
apps or about their own website.

Would anyone care to comment/elaborate on what the architecture/layout of
these programs are and who is working on what? Blankenhorn isn't the best
journalist on the planet by a long shot.

======= From ZDNet this AM =======
ZDNet Alerts Templates - 10/20/10 8:16 AMManage my alerts

                              ...
                              ... | Oct 20, 2010 8:16:58 AM

Oracle purging OpenOffice.org community council

            Dana Blankenhorn: If the meetings of last week's community
council meeting, posted by dissident members, is to be believed,
OpenOffice.org is no longer a community endeavor, but entirely a corporate
project.

            Tue Oct 19 12:24:58 PDT 2010
============== END =========

HTH,

Twayne`




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I AM WITH OOo

Simon Brouwer
Hi Twayne,

Op 21-10-2010 18:50, Twayne schreef:
>
> Thanks for the post: I've been trying to follow this saga and sort some of
> it out, even having subscribed to TDF and LibreO groups. I have a lot of
> questions that only seem to have the vaguest of answers available but I've
> refrained from asking the questions yet because there's a lot of dust to
> settle out from the looks of the TDF and Libre groups. The snip below is
> from ZDNet and seems to at least intimate that Oracle is going to pull OOo
> completely in under its own wing.
Yes, it seems to intimate that. There is a lot of intimation going on
lately.

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.

| http://nl.openoffice.org | http://www.opentaal.org |


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]