I want to contribute

Dominic Joseph
Dear OpenOffice,
I would like to donate some time to the openOffice project.  I am currently
graduating with a 4 year computer science degree on May 6. I am going to
start a C++ development job in a couple of months, so I have lots of free
time on my hands right now.  I am eager to get my hands dirty, please tell
me how I can contribute.
Thank You
Dominic Joseph

Re: I want to contribute

James Courtier-Dutton
Dominic Joseph wrote:
> Dear OpenOffice,
> I would like to donate some time to the openOffice project.  I am currently
> graduating with a 4 year computer science degree on May 6. I am going to
> start a C++ development job in a couple of months, so I have lots of free
> time on my hands right now.  I am eager to get my hands dirty, please tell
> me how I can contribute.
> Thank You
> Dominic Joseph

I would suggest that you read through the bug tracker and fix some bugs.
I would say that is probably the best way to learn about the code base.
The hunting through the source code to track down the bugs should give
you are really good understanding of the source code, and benefit the
community at the same time. These are also tasks that are achievable in
the time scales you have.

For example, when one compares two documents, all the changes in the
text are highlighted, except text inside tables. It is probably there by
design at the moment, but it is a little inconsistent. Having OO
highlight changes in the contents of tables would be a welcome addition.

James

Re: I want to contribute

Laurent Godard-3
Hi

thanks for your proposal

you can have a first look at ooo internals through the starter guide
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page

moreover, contributing can be done through Extensions, requiring less
knowledge about OOo internals and a good way to start with the API
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions

as alreadysuggested, grab an enhancement from IZ and start to talk
about it on the dedicated project list
(eg :
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_type=ENHANCEMENT&issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=exact&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=exact&emailreporter2=1&issueidtype=include&issue_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=&short_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&issue_file_loc=&issue_file_loc_type=substring&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=substring&keywords=&keywords_type=anytokens&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&Submit+query=Submit+query
)

Feel free to ask for more questions

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com

Re: I want to contribute

Mathias Bauer
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> For example, when one compares two documents, all the changes in the
> text are highlighted, except text inside tables. It is probably there by
> design at the moment, but it is a little inconsistent. Having OO
> highlight changes in the contents of tables would be a welcome addition.

I wouldn't start with this one. ;-)
It's a "little bit" hairy.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [hidden email] is a spam sink.

Re: I want to contribute

CPHennessy
On Thu April 13 2006 23:49, Dominic Joseph wrote:
> Dear OpenOffice,
> I would like to donate some time to the openOffice project.  I am currently
> graduating with a 4 year computer science degree on May 6. I am going to
> start a C++ development job in a couple of months, so I have lots of free
> time on my hands right now.  I am eager to get my hands dirty, please tell
> me how I can contribute.

Hi Dominic,
 Have a look at building OOo first :  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org
and do not be afraid to ask questions (and have lots of patience :).

P.S. You may not see all replies unless you subscribe to that list by sending
an email to [hidden email] and reply to the confirmation
request email.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: I want to contribute

Eric Bischoff
Le Mercredi 19 Avril 2006 12:39, Mathias Bauer a écrit :
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > For example, when one compares two documents, all the changes in the
> > text are highlighted, except text inside tables. It is probably there by
> > design at the moment, but it is a little inconsistent. Having OO
> > highlight changes in the contents of tables would be a welcome addition.
>
> I wouldn't start with this one. ;-)
> It's a "little bit" hairy.

We wouldn't refuse help for the KDE integration project either
(http://kde.openoffice.org). But all the items I can think about are for the
brave too... :-(

Best,

--
Michael Jackson has been voted "The most foolish American".
George W. Bush is only the third among those who have done

Re: I want to contribute

Pierre-André Galmes
Le Mercredi 19 Avril 2006 01:08, James Courtier-Dutton a écrit :
> Dominic Joseph wrote:
> > Dear OpenOffice,

Dear Dominic,

> > I would like to donate some time to the openOffice project.  I am
> > currently graduating with a 4 year computer science degree on May 6. I am
> > going to start a C++ development job in a couple of months, so I have
> > lots of free time on my hands right now.  I am eager to get my hands
> > dirty, please tell me how I can contribute.
> > Thank You
> > Dominic Joseph

The chart team is looking for contributors on the new chart implementation :
http://graphics.openoffice.org/chart/chart.html

The first tasks you would need to do to work on this project are :

- create an OpenOffice account (you sould already have done that)
- subscribe to the dev chart mailing list
- write a mail to introduce yourself on that list

Once introduced, the members of the team will give you tasks.

Cheers
--
Pierre-André Galmes - StarXpert
6, rue Eugène Varlin - 75010 Paris