I wish to suggest an addition to the to-do list of open office

I wish to suggest an addition to the to-do list of open office

Yishai Shimoni
Hello,
I am not sure that I am writing to the right person.
If not, I appologize, and would appreciate if you could provide me with the correct contact.

I am a PhD student in the physics department in the hebrew university in jerusalem, israel. We have a linux system and so we are only using latex and openoffice with hebrew support. Since we work in physics, there are a few things we need to be able to write and cannot using the current equation editor, which seem like a trivial change:
We need to be able to write something like
" left | a rangle" ,
which should give |a>. This is very standard notation in quantum physics, and currently the only way we found to do this was by writing
" ` divides a > `",
which is of course a workaraound.
A similar problem arises when trying to write a function with different definitions for different ranges, or when

In latex, it is possible to have braces of different kinds (i.e. "\left( ... \right]") or even have an empty brace (i.e "\left."), and in any case rangle and langle should not be limited to being braces.

I am attaching a pdf and tex files of these examples in latex.

Thank you,
   Yishai Shimoni

=?utf-8?q?test.tex?= (726 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: I wish to suggest an addition to the to-do list of open office

Oliver Specht - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
Hi,
Yishai Shimoni wrote:
> Hello,
> I am not sure that I am writing to the right person.
> If not, I appologize, and would appreciate if you could provide me with
> the correct contact.
the best place is the [hidden email] mailing list.

That's why I forward your mail to this list.

> I am a PhD student in the physics department in the hebrew university in
> jerusalem, israel. We have a linux system and so we are only using latex
> and openoffice with hebrew support. Since we work in physics, there are
> a few things we need to be able to write and cannot using the current
> equation editor, which seem like a trivial change:
> We need to be able to write something like
> " left | a rangle" ,
> which should give |a>. This is very standard notation in quantum
> physics, and currently the only way we found to do this was by writing
> " ` divides a > `",
> which is of course a workaraound.
How about "\lline a \rangle" or "left lline a right rangle"?

> I am attaching a pdf and tex files of these examples in latex.

Sorry, attachments are not allowed (with exceptions like .tex ;-)

Regards,
Oliver