Ignoring characters in a word

Alan Yaniger
Hi list-members,

Hebrew is usually written without vowels.

However, sometimes the vowels are written as special marks located
within, above, or below consonants.

The vowels are represented internally as separate Unicode characters.

The Hebrew spellchecker currently used checks for words without vowels.

Is there currently a way to filter the vowels out of a word, so that
only the consonants are passed to the spell checker?

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Ignoring characters in a word

thomas.lange

Hi Alan,

> Hi list-members,
>

> Hebrew is usually written without vowels.
>
> However, sometimes the vowels are written as special marks located
> within, above, or below consonants.
>
> The vowels are represented internally as separate Unicode characters.
>
> The Hebrew spellchecker currently used checks for words without vowels.
>
> Is there currently a way to filter the vowels out of a word, so that
> only the consonants are passed to the spell checker?

The breakiterator could filter those characters, but that would result
in word breaking at those points as well, and that is probably not what
you want.

Thus I think so far this type of problem can only be handled by the
spell checker itself. (Or at least I'm unaware if this can be solved
with settings inside the hebrew dictionary.)

You should ask Lazlo about what can be done here.

Regards,
Thomas