Import/Export Filters for OpenDocument

Jonathan Mitchem
Greetings

I was wondering if there were any APIs or command-line utilities
available to be able to handle conversion to/from OpenDocument and
Microsoft Office, without requiring that things be loaded and saved
through the OpenOffice GUI.

I haven't really taken a look at your architecture, maybe a lot of it
is XSLT, and if so that would work for my uses.

My general project is to build a version-control system that can
handle document file formats and highlight changes between revisions.
Since there are users that will not have OpenOffice, and only
Microsoft Office, I'm looking for a way to programmatically convert
between the formats.  All internal storage will (obviously) be
OpenDocument.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Directions?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Mitchem

Re: Import/Export Filters for OpenDocument

Mathias Bauer
Jonathan Mitchem wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I was wondering if there were any APIs or command-line utilities
> available to be able to handle conversion to/from OpenDocument and
> Microsoft Office, without requiring that things be loaded and saved
> through the OpenOffice GUI.

You should have a look on the document converter example in our SDK.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [hidden email] is a spam sink.

Proposal: Document Conversion Project

Juan Heyns
Open Office Developers

Seems like there is quite a number of users that are making use of Open Office to convert documents. I would like to suggest that we start a project that is specifically targeted at performing this task. I don't know how many of you would use such an application in an commercial environment, I know I will benefit from such a project.

I am willing to donate the code I have already developed to such a project if somebody else is willing to contribute on improving the reliability and quality of it.

My basic requirements are:

1) Conversion between arbitrary file formats (supported filters in the OO library).
2) Running as a reliable service on a server. (At the moment this is implemented as a service that polls a queue folder. This may also be implemented as a web-service.)
3) Implemented in Java
4) Able to set parameters for the conversion process.
5) License should allow the use in commercial applications (Apache License, et al).

If anybody is interested, please let me know ASAP.

Juan Heyns

Software Development Manager
NetCB Solutions (Pty) Ltd
Phone: 086 11 NETCB (086 11 63822)
Fax: +27 12 997 3629
Cell: +27 82 437 4939

Antwort: [dev] Proposal: Document Conversion Project

Tobias Hildebrandt

That sounds pretty interesting...
I could use such a tool, especially if it avoids the compatibility issues
which exist with OpenOffice and MS Office documents.

             "Juan Heyns"
             <[hidden email]>
                                                                        An
             15.12.2005 11:49           <[hidden email]>
                                                                     Kopie

              Bitte antworten                                        Thema
                    an                  [dev] Proposal: Document
             [hidden email]          Conversion Project

[...]

Re: Proposal: Document Conversion Project

Cyrille Moureaux
Hi Juan,

> Seems like there is quite a number of users that are making use of Open Office to convert documents. I would like to suggest that we start a project that is specifically targeted at performing this task. I don't know how many of you would use such an application in an commercial environment, I know I will benefit from such a project.
>
> I am willing to donate the code I have already developed to such a project if somebody else is willing to contribute on improving the reliability and quality of it.
>
> My basic requirements are:
>
> 1) Conversion between arbitrary file formats (supported filters in the OO library).
> 2) Running as a reliable service on a server. (At the moment this is implemented as a service that polls a queue folder. This may also be implemented as a web-service.)
> 3) Implemented in Java
> 4) Able to set parameters for the conversion process.
> 5) License should allow the use in commercial applications (Apache License, et al).

Something similar exists (though I'm not sure how similar it is to your
suggestion), you may want to have a look at
http://oooconv.free.fr/index_en.html

Cyrille

Re: Proposal: Document Conversion Project

Laurent Godard-3
Hi Cyrille,

 > Something similar exists (though I'm not sure how similar it is to your
> suggestion), you may want to have a look at
> http://oooconv.free.fr/index_en.html

thanks for pointing this :)

Btw, i will probably release very soon an asynchronous on-line document
converter based on OOo
The engine is in python using twisted framemork and XML-RPC and the call
made through pyUNO
it need some polishing i planned to do next week

But i can confirm that OoocOnv approach has been successfully used for
more than 20000 conversions when the site was up

I'll try to setup up some website for testing purposes

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com

Re: Proposal: Document Conversion Project

Emmanouil Batsis
Juan Heyns wrote:

>2) Running as a reliable service on a server. (At the moment this is implemented as a service that polls a queue folder. This may also be implemented as a web-service.)
>3) Implemented in Java

So the project will produce sample web applications (EAR and WAR) that
expose the conversion service via RMI, HTTP etc. right? Does the core
allow multiple conversion threads?

Thanks,

Manos